Thinking of dropping to standard english (1 Viewer)

PhysicsMaths

HSC
i am now 100% sure that aligned marks have no impact on atar calculation whatsoever. Both your raw external marks and internal assessment marks are alingned to produce a score that places you into different performance bands - different subjects align differently. Each year, BOSTES lays out the requirements of what is needed to achieve these different bands.

However, what does impact your atar is the process of scaling.
Due to different subjects having varying difficulties, your raw marks are scaled according to relative difficulty, and then your marks from your best 10 units are added up to produce a total mark out of 500. Your atar is determined by how well you did relative to your peers - it essentially determines your rank against everyone else that completed the hsc that year.

so in short, aligning determines what performance bands you're placed in (which has no impact on your atar)

Last edited:

PhysicsMaths

HSC
But, what probably will could have an effect on your atar is the performance of your cohort in the hsc exams. Generally, standard english cohorts don't have a good reputation at performing up to a high standard overall which could have a negative impact on your moderated assessment marks and correspondingly, your atar.

Meccaman

HSC
Okay, I'll just answer your question because I don't think anyone else is. It is true that the 'aligned' marks have no impact on your ATAR, but then they are scaled which then DO impact your ATAR. However, standard english (contrary to popular rumours) scales around the same as advanced english, probably scaling even more as your mark goes 90+. However, because the ALIGNING of standard and advanced differ greatly, thats why people are talking shit about standard. It is VERY hard to get a b6 for standard, because if you were to get a b6 in english, you were probably better off doing advanced. If you are capable of getting 90+ for standard, it will contribute greatly to your ATAR in a good way, but it is much much safer to do advanced if you are capable of doing that, as they both scale very similarly, and you would potentially get higher in advanced anyway and thus higher scaling (because if you got 90 for standard, you could probably get 92+ for advanced). Basically, unless you can get first in your school for standard in terms of ranking AND you are VERY confident in your ability to obtain a 88+ RAW mark for standard, then doing advanced would be better, as you can get lower raw marks for the same hsc mark.

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
Okay, I'll just answer your question because I don't think anyone else is. It is true that the 'aligned' marks have no impact on your ATAR, but then they are scaled which then DO impact your ATAR. However, standard english (contrary to popular rumours) scales around the same as advanced english, probably scaling even more as your mark goes 90+. However, because the ALIGNING of standard and advanced differ greatly, thats why people are talking shit about standard. It is VERY hard to get a b6 for standard, because if you were to get a b6 in english, you were probably better off doing advanced. If you are capable of getting 90+ for standard, it will contribute greatly to your ATAR in a good way, but it is much much safer to do advanced if you are capable of doing that, as they both scale very similarly, and you would potentially get higher in advanced anyway and thus higher scaling (because if you got 90 for standard, you could probably get 92+ for advanced). Basically, unless you can get first in your school for standard in terms of ranking AND you are VERY confident in your ability to obtain a 88+ RAW mark for standard, then doing advanced would be better, as you can get lower raw marks for the same hsc mark.
Thank you for the response. I don't think I understood the last part though, can you please elaborate on where you said that a lower raw mark in advanced can give you the same hsc mark as standard.

crowley926

HSC
Thank you for the response. I don't think I understood the last part though, can you please elaborate on where you said that a lower raw mark in advanced can give you the same hsc mark as standard.
I think they mean if you were to get, say, a 90 HSC Mark - In Advanced you would only need a raw mark of 79 whereas in Standard you would need an 85

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
I think they mean if you were to get, say, a 90 HSC Mark - In Advanced you would only need a raw mark of 79 whereas in Standard you would need an 85
Are those numbers completely random or are they fairy accurate?

atargainz

HSC
dude listen to what everyone's saying DO NOT DROP. In prelim I was rank 19 with a course mark of 69 in advanced, now I'm rank 6 with a course mark in the mid 80's ... don't listen to your teachers, you are completely capable of doing advanced.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Stick with Advanced English. Scaling for Standard English is very poor. I was in this position when I was in year 12 but stuck with it. Just make sure you keep on top of things and ask for help when needed :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Stick with Advanced English. Scaling for Standard English is very poor. I was in this position when I was in year 12 but stuck with it. Just make sure you keep on top of things and ask for help when needed :)
Aligning is poor,not scaling.

crowley926

HSC
Exactly, scaling is the same and aligning does not affect ATAR. There seems to be a lot of hate for standard but 90% of the arguments against it are invalid.
Lmao dude I'm starting to get the feeling you were already decided before you posted this thread

atargainz

HSC
Ok a final attempt to try and save OP's atar.
Say you get a 80% in standard in the HSC exam this will align to 83-85
Say you get 75% in advanced in the HSC exam, this will align to 86-88
According to the 2014 scaling report English Advanced is 20th and English Standard is 60th (http://community.boredofstudies.org/461/atar-hsc-marks/332678/2014-atar-scaling-report.html)
THEREFORE you'd be better off getting a 75 in advanced rather than 80 in standard, which you are capable of doing.

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
Ok a final attempt to try and save OP's atar.
Say you get a 80% in standard in the HSC exam this will align to 83-85
Say you get 75% in advanced in the HSC exam, this will align to 86-88
According to the 2014 scaling report English Advanced is 20th and English Standard is 60th (http://community.boredofstudies.org/461/atar-hsc-marks/332678/2014-atar-scaling-report.html)
THEREFORE you'd be better off getting a 75 in advanced rather than 80 in standard, which you are capable of doing.
Firstly, I would like to apologise for pissing people off, but I still don't understand and have questions and I do not want to make the wrong decision.

Regarding this, as far as I am concerned, the aligned marks will not be used and my 80% raw mark will be used if i do standard and the 75% will be used if I do advanced. These raw external marks will be averaged with the internal mark and that final mark will be scaled (and scaling is same for both subjects). According to my understanding, using the raw marks you have listed, assuming my internal mark was the same for both subjects, I will get a higher mark for standard english. I know I'm pissing you guys off, but please help me out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)