Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Cadetships 2017

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Cadetships 2017

A new 2017 thread to cover cadetships/traineeships/etc. for accounting/finance/etc roles. It's not clear which firms will be offering positions and in which areas just yet (at time of me posting this) but I'm sure it'll become known over time.

Previous threads:

Cadetships 2016

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    New thread for Cadetships 2017?

May be a bit early, but there are applications open for some firms already
    Wish granted
    Last edited by seremify007; 19 Feb 2017 at 12:56 AM.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

Executive Member
    HSC

First! Good luck to all to those that are applying, Serimify posted the links to previous threads which could be helpful to you!

HSC

What's a cadetship. Is it only for uni students ?😅
    HSC 2017
    Eng Adv, 2u, Chem, Bio, Eco, Bus
    Legit feeling sad

Meow meow meow meow meow? ilikecats's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew587 View Post
    What's a cadetship. Is it only for uni students ?
    A cadetship is essentially full time employment for a university student, on the condition they study a degree relavent to their employment. The student benefits through gaining skills and experience in the workplace, and employers are able to train students in the field to suit the roles they need.

It's a great opportunity, because it puts you several years ahead career wise, of students who do not start relevant full time employment before finishing their degree, helps you really develop and grow into a work environment, can give you the practical element your studies lack, and most (obviously) importantly for all the high school kids who apply for these roles, you get paid a very good salary for somebody with no experience!

Generally cadetships are with accounting firms, but there are a few out there for finance, project management, engineering etc.
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science
    Business Information Systems
    Might actually finish in 2017

HSC
    Uni Grad

On a serious note, I'm in the 6th and last year of my degree now, and applying for graduate jobs. I feel old

I've been a insolvency cadet, a tax accountant, and more recently, an IT project management intern.

The cadetship I (semi accidentally) came across 7 years ago was the catalyst for everything I've experienced so far. Though I learnt insolvency and eventually, accounting weren't for me, the experience of being in a workplace and practical application of my studies has been a great benefit for me.

I'd highly recommend for any of the high school students out there thinking about applying, to do so. Even if you realise in several years from now it wasn't for you, you'll still have so much to gain from this opportunity. So many of my friends have wished they had the chance to work in a professional job and not in just retail or hospitality before graduation. I've also met a lot of people in my current workplace that have a lot of respect for me for studying part time while working. It's not an easy decision, but your trying to set yourself up for adult life, not just 3 months after your HSC.

You'll only get the most from life if you take the opportunities given to you, so seize them!
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science

HSC

Is there any way of signing up for cadetships now? Im in year 12
    HSC 2017
    Legit feeling sad

Executive Member
    HSC

Not all cadetship applications are open yet, but you can search around on job seeking sites (Ex. Seek). The one most people would be applying to is UBS and the Big 4 (But I don't think any of them are offering besides KPMG this year, don't quote me but)
    b0b101 and Mathew587 like this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Historically they were targeted at people in year 12. I used to always look at the Institute of Chartered Accountants website for their events/etc, as well as on the careers websites for the Big4 firms to stay on top of it. Used to be mid-year (circa june/july) but doesn't hurt to try and keep an eye out for it.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    Historically they were targeted at people in year 12. I used to always look at the Institute of Chartered Accountants website for their events/etc, as well as on the careers websites for the Big4 firms to stay on top of it. Used to be mid-year (circa june/july) but doesn't hurt to try and keep an eye out for it.
    The above is very true, from what I saw this year the people who got in actively kept up to date with information on the websites (no you will be reminding you possibly not even your career advisors so don't get left behind) and iirc they got phone call offers/interviews etc between post Trials to HSC but obviously applied much earlier
    Baulko Class of 2016

English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

ATAR: 99.95

HSC

As an addition to applying to cadetships, I would recommend students to also check out the co-op programs available at UTS and UNSW (and possibly other unis?)

An advantage of co-op programs (for acct/mgmt at least) is the exposure to a variety of industries.

Would definitely recommend subscribing to industry newsletters (CAANZ/CPA) for openings.

Executive Member
    HSC

UBS applications are open, good luck to everyone!
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC

Does anyone have any idea how many cadets UBS accepts every year?
    HSC 2017
    Legit feeling sad

Executive Member
    HSC

I think around 1-3.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by esaitchkay View Post
    As an addition to applying to cadetships, I would recommend students to also check out the co-op programs available at UTS and UNSW (and possibly other unis?)

An advantage of co-op programs (for acct/mgmt at least) is the exposure to a variety of industries.

Would definitely recommend subscribing to industry newsletters (CAANZ/CPA) for openings.
    Hi everyone, on what has been mentioned by esaitchkay, please click the below link about the UTS Bachelor of Accounting Scholarship program for further information. It is an amazing course and I highly recommend that you should all apply.

UTS Bachelor of Accounting (Co-operative Scholarship) 2018
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Prouille24 View Post
    Hi everyone, on what has been mentioned by esaitchkay, please click the below link about the UTS Bachelor of Accounting Scholarship program for further information. It is an amazing course and I highly recommend that you should all apply.

UTS Bachelor of Accounting (Co-operative Scholarship) 2018
    I've heard accounting especially is dying. It has a high chance of being automated in comparison to other degrees as well.
    Are you guys sure running this degree is still a good idea?
    HSC 2017
    Legit feeling sad

Executive Member
    HSC

I've heard accounting especially is dying. It has a high chance of being automated in comparison to other degrees as well.
    No one says that accounting is dying. We still need auditors and consultants.

We have a high demand for overseas senior accountants.
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC

No one says that accounting is dying. We still need auditors and consultants.

We have a high demand for overseas senior accountants.
    Nah I didn't mean it like that si. Its cos of automation and how you could automate a lot of what accountants do due to its repitive nature.
    Read this-
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...aling-your-job
    HSC 2017
    Legit feeling sad

HSC
    Uni Grad

Nah I didn't mean it like that si. Its cos of automation and how you could automate a lot of what accountants do due to its repitive nature.
    Read this-
    Much of the automated work in accounting would be bookkeeping and entry level tasks (ie. data entry).

The distinction between Bookkeeping and Accounting is not something the general public or the media tends to realise. Planning, analysis, consulting and auditing for instance, are much harder to automate. Even if it were, I would expect that governing bodies would simply not allow for complete automation of these areas to protect themselves.
    Mathew587 likes this.
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science

HSC

I think around 1-3.
    This number is about right, at the UBS finance academy they brought in for us 4 cadets who had begun their cadetships in the last 2 years.

2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) @ Mq Uni

HSC

About 1000 apply
    8-10 get in.
    HSC 2017 = 3U Maths | Eng Adv | Eco | Bus | Phys
    The best way to predict the future is to create it

HSC
    Uni Grad

I don't want to duplicate what others have said (eg bookkeeping vs professional accounting, the roles considered 'dying', etc) but instead, I'll share my own experience especially since the topic of automation and robotics is commonly brought up in this circle. The key thing here is not so much about the field of accounting 'dying', but rather, what the profession will entail in the future and how the skills you have today will change over time to meet the changing needs of the industry.

One of my recent projects was to help a client with building an automated reporting system by taking the various specific set of rules applicable to a certain type of regulatory reporting and defining the business rules in the target operating model, working closely with the IT platform vendor and helping develop a bespoke system which was efficient enough to run BAU and customisable in the longer term with an open script/programming language.

I don't have a programming background. I have an accounting background. I was able to use my knowledge gained from auditing these rules and knowing how they are pulled together to help the client with actually building this thing. In the future as rules change, new products are added, etc... there will be more tweaks/work required to keep it up to date, but ultimately the mundane part of this reporting of accounting/financial data will be automated.

I've done similar other projects lately which leverage various things I've learnt from audit (eg how to design a process with sufficient controls to address business risks in a process landscape within a target operating model) but it's these higher level activities which can only be done once you've had sufficient experience on the ground actually doing the leg work, and even then, that leg work will exist but just in different forms.

Just my 2c.
    ilikecats, Phaze and -Senpai like this.

HSC

Not all cadetship applications are open yet, but you can search around on job seeking sites (Ex. Seek). The one most people would be applying to is UBS and the Big 4 (But I don't think any of them are offering besides KPMG this year, don't quote me but)
    - I don't think KPMG has offered cadetships for a while now. This may have changed in the last year?
    - EY opens it's cadetship applications to Year 12 students and early uni students.
    - PwC up until recently used to accept Year 12 applicants but now only accept those in their first year of a single undergraduate degree or in their second year of a double degree.
    - Deloitte didn't offer cadetships a few years ago but seems as if they are now to first years. (Link)
    seremify007 likes this.
    B. Commerce (Accounting & Business Information Systems) @ USyd

Executive Member
    HSC

UBS Cadetships Introduction Video
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by evangelion zeta View Post
    What's cadet
    A cadet is an entry level job. It is generally targeted at school leavers. You work in a company whilst you also study a relevant degree. We predominantly talk about accounting and finance cadetships here.

Quote Originally Posted by boredsatan View Post
    Is being a cadet worth it
    Without a doubt the answer is yes.

- You get relevant work experience and develop new relationships and skills that will put you ahead of others graduating with the same qualification. For (in most cases) 1 additional year at university, you will have 3 years more relevant experience at graduation than your peers. You'll be able to secure higher paying roles and progress in your career quicker.

- You will have a paid, secure job throughout your studies, that understand you need time off for exams etc. Most of the time, you'll also have a guaranteed job afterwards. Generally also you'll have a higher hourly rate than casual/part time roles in say retail or hospitality, that most students have.

My personal experience; I've had so many more opportunities than all my friends career wise. While I have taken longer to complete my studies (I started a whole extra degree!), I have gained so many more skills than you ever will at university, which has been instrumental for me getting a job after graduating.

I can afford to do things like go out and party or travel while I'm still young, but I know when I get back I have a secure job, or I have the experience and education necessary to find a position compared to people I went to uni with.

So many people I have worked with recently have had great respect for the fact I worked and studied. It shows you are driven, you are motivated, and you are more willing to put in everything you have. And so many more wished they had the opportunities I did.

It's never to early to start developing a career. But the longer you wait, the more people you'll need to compete with.
    Macquarie University
    Bachelor of Science

HSC

Read this-
    Yeah that's definitely not going to affect a majority of other accounting divisions such as corporate insolvency or forensic accounting.

Reaper can vouch for me here - do you think it's possible to get a computer to conduct investigations into preference payments, etc.?

It's more on the side of technology supplementing the accountants rather than replacing them entirely ~

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information