Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 86
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

  1. #1
    a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,030
    Rep Power
    7

    Lightbulb USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Welcome back!! And welcome for the first time to our freshers, it's great to have you on board!

    Well and truly time to get our chatter thread started up again so here goes the 2017 iteration

    Just a word of warning:

    This thread serves as a general discussion thread for USYD students. Please keep all the miscellaneous and off-topic conversation here as well as comments/queries/observations that don't warrant a new thread. While posts that would generally be considered spam elsewhere are tolerated in this thread, please note that this is not a substitute for Non-School.
    Last edited by Blue Suede; 26 Feb 2017 at 6:34 PM.


    No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

  2. #2
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    So I'm starting a new degree this year. Finally graduated from the BSc after a few years of chopping and changing.

    Looking to get into medicine eventually, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.
    Daemontreu likes this.

  3. #3
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Is O-Week worth going this week? Is there any cool merchandise like free mugs that you think they'll hand out?
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  4. #4
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    They normally hand out free food and drinks. I managed to collect a lunchbox full of energy drinks a few years ago.

    There will be information sessions and stalls to sign up for clubs and societies so if you're interested in that, it is definitely worth checking out.
    sea-r-du likes this.

  5. #5
    a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,030
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    So I'm starting a new degree this year. Finally graduated from the BSc after a few years of chopping and changing.

    Looking to get into medicine eventually, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.
    Congrats! What's the new degree?

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    Is O-Week worth going this week? Is there any cool merchandise like free mugs that you think they'll hand out?
    O-Week is awesome. Are you a new student or thinking of joining any clubs? Great opportunity to get heaps of free stuff (pretty sure officeworks has a stall and will be giving out notepads/pens, and there's always a tonne of ben+jerry's and lollies and energy drinks etc. Free brekkie each day if you buy an access membership. Also socialising opportunities and the music-y stuff going on.


    You can check out everything USU here. Or the more official welcome to uni stuff here.
    sea-r-du likes this.


    No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

  6. #6
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Suede View Post
    Congrats! What's the new degree?
    Cheers! I'm starting a Bachelor of Psychology, and also a DipLang in the next summer holidays.

    What are you up to these days?

  7. #7
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Hey guys. So I'm taking ECMT1020 this semester, and noticed that tutorials and workshops alternate from week to week.

    What actually is a workshop, and how does it differ from a tutorial...?

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  8. #8
    a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,030
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    Cheers! I'm starting a Bachelor of Psychology, and also a DipLang in the next summer holidays.

    What are you up to these days?
    Great degree! (I started in that and bailed for a double degree haha).

    I moved interstate a month ago for a job I'm not convinced I love, but the opportunity is great and it's mentally stimulating. Missing Sydney something fierce though.

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    Hey guys. So I'm taking ECMT1020 this semester, and noticed that tutorials and workshops alternate from week to week.

    What actually is a workshop, and how does it differ from a tutorial...?
    A workshop usually has some practical component and tends to be a larger class size than a tutorial. Kinda like a seminar. I'm sure they'll give you all the info in your first one though


    No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

  9. #9
    elkemaand elkedag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    Hey guys. So I'm taking ECMT1020 this semester, and noticed that tutorials and workshops alternate from week to week.

    What actually is a workshop, and how does it differ from a tutorial...?
    Tutorials are in a classroom and workshops are in a computer lab where you do things on Stata. Never really went to tutorials.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Thanks guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by elkedag View Post
    Tutorials are in a classroom and workshops are in a computer lab where you do things on Stata. Never really went to tutorials.
    By the way, how did you find ECMT1020? Was it interesting or difficult?

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  11. #11
    elkemaand elkedag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    Thanks guys!



    By the way, how did you find ECMT1020? Was it interesting or difficult?

    Ended up being one of my best subjects at uni. Not too difficult but does require some effort. Also not the most interesting lectures at times, but I enjoyed making restricted and unrestricted models.
    sida1049 likes this.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Feeling pretty good with this (except the Monday morning ><), managed to move everything out of Wednesday and got a decently compact schedule for the week.
    Current: B. Med Sci (USYD) 2017-2019

    Previous: B. Forensic Biology in Biomedical Science (UTS) 2015-2016
    Even Before That: Don't get me started. #UndergradPurgatory

  13. #13
    Junior Member chickencoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    Cheers! I'm starting a Bachelor of Psychology, and also a DipLang in the next summer holidays.

    What are you up to these days?
    Huh...? Doesnt your signature say that you have already done a major in Psychology +Neuroscience? How come B. Psych again?
    Class of 2016

    HSC Subjects: Physics, Economics, Advanced English, Extension 1 Mathematics, Extension 2 Mathematics

    ATAR Goal: 88
    ATAR: 96.05
    2017 Uni: B. Psychology at USYD

  14. #14
    Perpetual Student Amleops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    816
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Yeah probably should have been more clear. Fixed it.

    My proficiency with BB Code is quite lacking unfortunately.

  15. #15
    Junior Member chickencoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amleops View Post
    Yeah probably should have been more clear. Fixed it.

    My proficiency with BB Code is quite lacking unfortunately.
    ah righto. Heyy might see you around then!

  16. #16
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by cormacshaw View Post
    Feeling pretty good with this (except the Monday morning ><), managed to move everything out of Wednesday and got a decently compact schedule for the week.
    Hey, can't you some 2nd year SCI units considering you've previously studied Biomedical Science at uts? i think you can apply for credit transfer for that.
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sea-r-du View Post
    Hey, can't you some 2nd year SCI units considering you've previously studied Biomedical Science at uts? i think you can apply for credit transfer for that.
    I've received 9CP of the 12CP math requirement, didn't get anatomy credit sadly (and I do not have the patience to study that again, so picked BIOL1006 instead of Human Biol), and I got chemistry credit. Second year is all Med Sci specific courses, and I can't do 2000-level units until I've done 36 CP of 1000-level units as per the Course Progression Rules.

    Baaaaasically I'm stuck with a smattering of 18CP semesters.
    Current: B. Med Sci (USYD) 2017-2019

    Previous: B. Forensic Biology in Biomedical Science (UTS) 2015-2016
    Even Before That: Don't get me started. #UndergradPurgatory

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post

    What actually is a workshop, and how does it differ from a tutorial...?
    By the end of week 2, you will know and have experienced the answer.

  19. #19
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by engineering View Post
    By the end of week 2, you will know and have experienced the answer.
    I would like to experience the answer

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

  20. #20
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by cormacshaw View Post
    I've received 9CP of the 12CP math requirement, didn't get anatomy credit sadly (and I do not have the patience to study that again, so picked BIOL1006 instead of Human Biol), and I got chemistry credit. Second year is all Med Sci specific courses, and I can't do 2000-level units until I've done 36 CP of 1000-level units as per the Course Progression Rules.

    Baaaaasically I'm stuck with a smattering of 18CP semesters.
    Ah okay, that sucks
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

  21. #21
    Moderator Katsumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,817
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    I'm very nervous about starting my first year back at University. I'll be working from 11:00AM to 7:30PM Monday to Friday and attending only tutorials in the mornings.

    I'm hoping to establish a schedule that allows for 2 hours of non-contact study per day with 6-10 hours on Saturday & Sunday. Given that i'm doing 2 subjects a semester i feel that this will be adequate.
    Daemontreu and sida1049 like this.
    Site Moderator: Business Studies, Community & Family Studies, Information Processes & Technology, Information Technology,University of Technology Sydney, All General Discussion Boards

    Bachelor of Commerce (Finance & Banking) @ University of Sydney
    Operations @ Big 4 Bank

  22. #22
    Commander-in-Chief Amundies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    671
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    I'm very nervous about starting my first year back at University. I'll be working from 11:00AM to 7:30PM Monday to Friday and attending only tutorials in the mornings.

    I'm hoping to establish a schedule that allows for 2 hours of non-contact study per day with 6-10 hours on Saturday & Sunday. Given that i'm doing 2 subjects a semester i feel that this will be adequate.
    6-10 hours per day? Or 6-10 hours over the 2 days?
    Sydney Secondary College BWB Campus
    Mechanical Engineering/Commerce (Finance) @ USYD

  23. #23
    Moderator Katsumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,817
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Amundies View Post
    6-10 hours per day? Or 6-10 hours over the 2 days?
    Per day on the weekends.

    University is more of a leisure/professional development project for me than anything but i still want to do very well.
    Last edited by Katsumi; 4 Mar 2017 at 12:27 AM.
    Site Moderator: Business Studies, Community & Family Studies, Information Processes & Technology, Information Technology,University of Technology Sydney, All General Discussion Boards

    Bachelor of Commerce (Finance & Banking) @ University of Sydney
    Operations @ Big 4 Bank

  24. #24
    What. Daemontreu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Good luck, Katsumi! You sound like you'll be able to apply yourself, no worries.

    I'm saddest about being stuck on the Mallett St campus for this year. It's so lonely down here.

  25. #25
    Cadet sea-r-du's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: USyd Chatter Thread 2017

    Just out of curiosity, where are final exam venues generally held at? On campus?
    Bachelor of Science, The University of Sydney

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •