Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By plane
  • 1 Post By boredofstudiesuser1
  • 1 Post By 30june2016

Thread: Australian Mathematics Competition Help!!

HSC
    N/A

Australian Mathematics Competition Help!!

I'm generally a good mathematics student( in the accelerated program ). When it comes to yearly's and half yearly' s I usually ace them with around a 95%+. The problem starts when contests like Math Olympiad or AMC ( Australian Mathematics Competition are held ). I usually get a merit sometimes credit. What is different in those tests? How can I improve my score and maybe get a D or a HD? Any Tips And Tricks would be appreciated.. THX!

HSC
    N/A

Re: Australian Mathematics Competition Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Asianboy02 View Post
    I'm generally a good mathematics student( in the accelerated program ). When it comes to yearly's and half yearly' s I usually ace them with around a 95%+. The problem starts when contests like Math Olympiad or AMC ( Australian Mathematics Competition are held ). I usually get a merit sometimes credit. What is different in those tests? How can I improve my score and maybe get a D or a HD? Any Tips And Tricks would be appreciated.. THX!
    It's probably because for school exams you study the content and topics for a while but for the competitions you don't really study for them.

School-based tests are quite different to tests like AMC/Math Olympiad competitions. School exams test your knowledge on the stuff that you learn in class, so it's all about remembering and applying your knowledge to answer the questions. People succeed in such competitions because they know how to answer multiple-choice questions pretty much. Of course they need to have a good background knowledge about the subject their test is on but knowing how to answer multiple choice helps them heaps. I don't know any specific techniques but I know that a lot of tuitions teach their students how to perform better in those type of tests, including OC and selective tests. If you really want to you can enrol into a tutoring place but I think just doing heaps of past papers and practising multiple choice tests (You can buy textbooks I think) will help you improve.
    Asianboy02 likes this.

HSC

I heard that naturally gifted people and those with better reasoning skills are better at the AMC than those that rote learn and do repeated past papers...

Maybe that's why?
    Asianboy02 likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

i got HDs for y7-10 by only doing the mc questions for AMC and not bothering with the final 5 if that helps

try using trial and error

also

because i focused on only the mc i had time to be bothered enough to go to the effort of writing every possible result for some questions (e.g. 'how many ____ can be made from ____ ' questions)
    Asianboy02 likes this.

UTS BIT 2018

HSC

Buy the AMC books with past questions in them - there's a whole series...'practising' them can help you get a D at least... well, they helped me anyway.
    If you want to know how to get them, I think there's usually info on the back of your AMC certificate.

HSC

Hi,

Anyone having AMC past year papers for Year 8 and happy to share.

HSC

U probably haven't done enough AMC-style questions. The AMC usually has very dodgy questions and things that force you to memorise tons of equations and stuff. If you ace your school exams then that's because you know the content that's going to be in them but the AMC is unpredictable and very difficult. Best thing you can do is familiarise yourself with as many types of questions as is humanly possible.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaaz View Post
    Hi,

Anyone having AMC past year papers for Year 8 and happy to share.
    I found a big collection online once, I'm sure if you look around you'll find them.

HSC

hey I am new to this website can anyone please explain to me how do I start a new forum post? Thanks in advance

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by vvvsace View Post
    hey I am new to this website can anyone please explain to me how do I start a new forum post? Thanks in advance
    You just made one?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    I found a big collection online once, I'm sure if you look around you'll find them.
    Thanks

HSC

Doing past papers for the AMC is helpful but so is understanding the patterns behind the questions. Since most of the questions are dodgy and require abstract thinking, you can answer most of them by looking for patterns in them. This is what I realised when I did the AMC, it's extremely beneficial to recognise patterns quickly if you're aiming for being in the top or getting a High Distinction every year.
    HSC: 2020
    Adv. English | MX1 | Engineering | Legal | Phys | Chem

Thread Information