Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Someone help me im DYING with this

  1. #1
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Someone help me im DYING with this

    A parachutist weighing m=75kg jumps from an airplane at an altitude of h meteres with initial vertical velocity v0=0. Let v(t) be his instantaneous vertical velocity at time t with the downwards direction taken as positive. Suppose that he deploys the parachute immediately after jumping from the airplane. The air resistance is assumed to be r(t)=15v^2(t). Let g=9.8ms^-2 be the acceleration due to gravity. We neglect side wind. The equation of motion is
    mdv/dt=F

    a) Show that the instantaneous vertical velocity satisfies dv(t)/dt + v^2(t)/5 = 9.8
    b) solve the initial value problem and determine the instantaneous vertical velocity v(t)
    c) determine the impact velocity before landing. Express it in terms of h.


    I CANT GET B AND C MAN :'( been trying whole of last night and this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  2. #2
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    A parachutist weighing m=75kg jumps from an airplane at an altitude of h meteres with initial vertical velocity v0=0. Let v(t) be his instantaneous vertical velocity at time t with the downwards direction taken as positive. Suppose that he deploys the parachute immediately after jumping from the airplane. The air resistance is assumed to be r(t)=15v^2(t). Let g=9.8ms^-2 be the acceleration due to gravity. We neglect side wind. The equation of motion is
    mdv/dt=F

    a) Show that the instantaneous vertical velocity satisfies dv(t)/dt + v^2(t)/5 = 9.8
    b) solve the initial value problem and determine the instantaneous vertical velocity v(t)
    c) determine the impact velocity before landing. Express it in terms of h.


    I CANT GET B AND C MAN :'( been trying whole of last night and this morning.




















    hayabusaboston likes this.

  3. #3
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by integrand View Post




















    thankyouuu <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  4. #4
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    for c it asks for impact velocity in terms of h

    is my answer correct
    I got

    v(h)=sqrt(g/k) tanh(arccos(e^(h.sqrt(k/g)))
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  5. #5
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    for c it asks for impact velocity in terms of h

    is my answer correct
    I got

    v(h)=sqrt(g/k) tanh(arccos(e^(h.sqrt(k/g)))
    Your proposed answer isn't well-defined. For any h > 0, e^(h.sqrt(k/g)) > 1, so the arccos of this doesn't exist in the real numbers.

  6. #6
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    Your proposed answer isn't well-defined. For any h > 0, e^(h.sqrt(k/g)) > 1, so the arccos of this doesn't exist in the real numbers.
    could you pls provide an assist? ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  7. #7
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    could you pls provide an assist? ^_^

  8. #8
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    oops I did another way, I found time taken to travel h metres, called it b, then found the velocity at time b, so v(b)

    I did integral from o to b of v(t)
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  9. #9
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    can I rewrite the arccosh(x) as ln(x+sqrt(x^2-1))?
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  10. #10
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    can I rewrite the arccosh(x) as ln(x+sqrt(x^2-1))?
    In your original answer, did you mean cosh-1 (I'm guessing you did)? You wrote arccos (didn't put an "h" on the end).

  11. #11
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    In your original answer, did you mean cosh-1 (I'm guessing you did)? You wrote arccos (didn't put an "h" on the end).
    yea arccosh. So its right in that case?
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  12. #12
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    next question if anyone can provide guidance would b appreciated

    Consider the differential equation for y(t) (t>=0)

    dy/dt=sech(y)-2e/(e^2+1)

    a) find the equilibrium solutions (is it 1 and -1?)
    b)draw a phase plot of dy/dt versus y and label all intercepts (upside down parabola style at -1/1 intercepts right?)
    c) Determine whether the equilibrium solutions are stable or not (is -1 unstable, and 1 stable?)
    d) draw rough sketches of y(t) against t for several initial values y(0). Choose these initial values so they are spread across the regions defined by the equilibrium solutions and make sure that you illustrate all of the main shapes of population versus time graphs that can occur. You should draw a minimum of 4 such curves (NO IDEA PLS HALP)
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  13. #13
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    next question if anyone can provide guidance would b appreciated

    Consider the differential equation for y(t) (t>=0)

    dy/dt=sech(y)-2e/(e^2+1)

    a) find the equilibrium solutions (is it 1 and -1?)
    b)draw a phase plot of dy/dt versus y and label all intercepts (upside down parabola style at -1/1 intercepts right?)
    c) Determine whether the equilibrium solutions are stable or not (is -1 unstable, and 1 stable?)
    d) draw rough sketches of y(t) against t for several initial values y(0). Choose these initial values so they are spread across the regions defined by the equilibrium solutions and make sure that you illustrate all of the main shapes of population versus time graphs that can occur. You should draw a minimum of 4 such curves (NO IDEA PLS HALP)
    a) Yes.
    b) Pretty much.
    c) Correct!
    d) Have a play around with this: https://www.geogebra.org/m/W7dAdgqc (type in sech(y) - sech(1) for the f'(x,y) in the top left).

    Basically you need to sketch the direction field and draw some solution curves passing through various different points on the y-axis (corresponding to different values of y(0)). You should be able to see that depending on where you choose your y(0) value (y-intercept) in relation to the two bands of stable solutions, the solution curve that results will behave differently. If you have y(0) > 0, the solution will approach 1 as t -> oo. If we have -1 < y(0) < 1, the solution will approach 1 as t -> oo. If we have y(0) < -1, the solution will go to -oo as t -> oo.

    In that applet I linked, you can tick all the boxes for Solution A-D in the bottom left to get various solution curves, and you can drag the points they are forced to go through to different places to see how the resulting solution curve changes.
    hayabusaboston likes this.

  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    how did you identify y for part c?

  15. #15
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by A100p View Post
    how did you identify y for part c?
    Just find the roots of the RHS function of the DE y' = f(y).



    You can see here for more information and examples: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Class...Solutions.aspx .
    Last edited by InteGrand; 30 Apr 2017 at 12:18 PM.

  16. #16
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    InteGrand if you can help with this would be amazing.

    1. Find the general solution to the differential equation y''+2y'+3y=1+t^2+e^-t

    is y(t)=Ae^-t.cos(sqrt2)t+Be^-t.sin(sqrt2)t+(e^-t)/2+(t^2)/3-(4t/9)+17/27?


    and 2.Consider an electric circuit


    L
    -------<<------
    i i
    [V] i
    i i
    i i
    -------II--------
    C
    With an inductance of L=0.5 Henry and a capacitor with a capacitance of C=0.1 farad connected in series with a voltage source of V(t)=50sin(wt) Volts. Initially the charge on the capacitor is 2 Coulombs and there is no current in the circuit.

    a) Show that the differential equation satisfied by the charge q(t) in this circuit is q''+20q=100sin(wt)
    b) Determine the value(s) Wres for which resonance occurs
    c) Solve the initial value problem to find the charge qNR(t) as a function of time in the case where there is NO resonance.
    d) Solve the initial value problem to find the charge qR(t) as a function of time for ONE of the values w(res) where there IS resonance (You can choose which wres value to consider.



    Question 2 idk :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  17. #17
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    InteGrand if you can help with this would be amazing.

    1. Find the general solution to the differential equation y''+2y'+3y=1+t^2+e^-t

    is y(t)=Ae^-t.cos(sqrt2)t+Be^-t.sin(sqrt2)t+(e^-t)/2+(t^2)/3-(4t/9)+17/27?


    and 2.Consider an electric circuit


    L
    -------<<------
    i i
    [V] i
    i i
    i i
    -------II--------
    C
    With an inductance of L=0.5 Henry and a capacitor with a capacitance of C=0.1 farad connected in series with a voltage source of V(t)=50sin(wt) Volts. Initially the charge on the capacitor is 2 Coulombs and there is no current in the circuit.

    a) Show that the differential equation satisfied by the charge q(t) in this circuit is q''+20q=100sin(wt)
    b) Determine the value(s) Wres for which resonance occurs
    c) Solve the initial value problem to find the charge qNR(t) as a function of time in the case where there is NO resonance.
    d) Solve the initial value problem to find the charge qR(t) as a function of time for ONE of the values w(res) where there IS resonance (You can choose which wres value to consider.



    Question 2 idk :'(
    For Q1) you basically find a particular solution and add it on to the solution to the homogenous equation to get the overall solution. I don't want to do the calculations now but I assume you know the steps.

    And for Q2), you should probably review your resonance theory (and did you manage to set up the ODE? Did you try Kirchhoff's Laws?). Here's some info and examples on resonance: https://math.libretexts.org/TextMaps..._and_Resonance .

  18. #18
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    For Q1) you basically find a particular solution and add it on to the solution to the homogenous equation to get the overall solution. I don't want to do the calculations now but I assume you know the steps.

    And for Q2), you should probably review your resonance theory (and did you manage to set up the ODE? Did you try Kirchhoff's Laws?). Here's some info and examples on resonance: https://math.libretexts.org/TextMaps..._and_Resonance .
    how to find value of w so there is resonance WOT idk m8 lost
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  19. #19
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    how to find value of w so there is resonance WOT idk m8 lost

  20. #20
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    so if sin(wt) is equal to the general solution values of sin and cos?

    characteristic equation results in 20i,-20i so y(t)=Acos20t+Bsin20t, if times by t will be equal with sinwt so


    20 is it? later questions say "pick a value where resonance occurs" isnt there only the one?
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  21. #21
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this






  22. #22
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    so if sin(wt) is equal to the general solution values of sin and cos?

    characteristic equation results in 20i,-20i so y(t)=Acos20t+Bsin20t, if times by t will be equal with sinwt so


    20 is it? later questions say "pick a value where resonance occurs" isnt there only the one?
    Yeah there's only one positive value, but you could also use -20 and that'd still give resonance. Usually omega is thought of as positive I guess. Using a negative omega here just makes the RHS of your ODE become negative sine, since sine is odd. This means your ''particular solution'' becomes negative of the old one.
    Last edited by InteGrand; 9 May 2017 at 9:32 PM.

  23. #23
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    Yeah there's only one positive value, but you could also use -20 and that'd still give resonance. Usually omega is thought of as positive I guess. Using a negative omega here just makes the RHS of your ODE become negative sine, since sine is odd. This means your ''particular solution'' becomes negative of the old one.
    for c)do you just get rid of w and say sint then do initial value problem?

    for d) do you just solve the initial problem with w=20?
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

  24. #24
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,884
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by hayabusaboston View Post
    for c)do you just get rid of w and say sint then do initial value problem?

    for d) do you just solve the initial problem with w=20?
    Last edited by InteGrand; 9 May 2017 at 10:57 PM.

  25. #25
    Exalted Member hayabusaboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Calabi Yau Manifold
    Posts
    2,315
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Someone help me im DYING with this

    Quote Originally Posted by InteGrand View Post
    wot how do u do that? solve w not equal to w0?
    Quote Originally Posted by asianese View Post
    Nah he's (hayabusaboston) like, God, so listen to him.
    2013 ATAR: 94.55
    Besmirch me now, for thou protectress deem it right.


    YES I LOVE MYSELF AND MY BODY BECAUSE IM BEAUTIFUL LIKE ANY OTHER FAT GIRL OR SKINNY GIRL

    But im a boy. So there's a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •