Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By duck4
  • 1 Post By duck4

Thread: How to find motivation for a subject you don't really enjoy?

HSC

How to find motivation for a subject you don't really enjoy?

Hi! For prelims i'm currently taking the following subjects:
    • Advanced English
    • Extension 1 English
    • Modern History
    • Legal Studies
    • Biology
    • French Beginners
    • PDHPE

I really enjoy all of my subjects except for PDHPE. I just don't find the content interesting at all and as a result I haven't really been paying attention during class because the content bores me so much.

I really want to do well in it though because I want to rank well in all of my subjects but my disinterest in PDHPE is affecting my marks.

How do I find the motivation to do well in a subject that I have no interest in?

HSC

Re: How to find motivation for a subject you don't really enjoy?

Life lesson, you don't have to do what you don't want to do. But in saying this, you need to think whether you're going to regret your decision in the future. Tbh if you're doing 12+ units drop it if you don't like it
    1st Year BAppFinBActStud @ MQ

Cadet
    HSC

Find one or more things you like about it and every time you think or hear something bad about it remind yourself of the thing/s you like. Whether its a bit of the content you enjoy, your classmates, your teacher etc.
    Also I don't know if this is true of PDHPE but I know biology and chemistry are super boring in prelim and way better in HSC. There's a kid I know in bio who hated it last year but it is his favourite subject this year.
    I did bio last year as an accelerated subject and while I hated the sheer amount of content we had to get through, and how boring making notes was, I reminded myself of how interesting the real-world applications of bio were, how the people in my class were fun and how proud I was at our cake days, which were actually tea parties, and no other class is yet to beat them. And to get through the boredom of note-making I would use my favourite pens (I hand-wrote my notes) and flick back through what I'd already achieved. I convinced myself I loved it and by the end I actually did.
    Hope this helps
    bujolover and alicm like this.

Cadet
    HSC

But saying that I'd drop 1 or 2 units in year 12, doing 13 units in the HSC is difficult
    alicm likes this.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

You can't. You just have to suck it up and do it. You know the consequences

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BenHowe View Post
    Life lesson, you don't have to do what you don't want to do. But in saying this, you need to think whether you're going to regret your decision in the future. Tbh if you're doing 12+ units drop it if you don't like it
    For prelims we have to do a minimum of 12 units so I can only drop it next year which I was already planning on. I only chose PDHPE because there was no other subject on the line that I would do.
    Prelim 2017
    English Advanced, English Extension 1, Legal Studies, Modern History, Biology, PDHPE & French Beginners

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by duck4 View Post
    Find one or more things you like about it and every time you think or hear something bad about it remind yourself of the thing/s you like. Whether its a bit of the content you enjoy, your classmates, your teacher etc.
    Also I don't know if this is true of PDHPE but I know biology and chemistry are super boring in prelim and way better in HSC. There's a kid I know in bio who hated it last year but it is his favourite subject this year.
    I did bio last year as an accelerated subject and while I hated the sheer amount of content we had to get through, and how boring making notes was, I reminded myself of how interesting the real-world applications of bio were, how the people in my class were fun and how proud I was at our cake days, which were actually tea parties, and no other class is yet to beat them. And to get through the boredom of note-making I would use my favourite pens (I hand-wrote my notes) and flick back through what I'd already achieved. I convinced myself I loved it and by the end I actually did.
    Hope this helps
    Thank you! This was really helpful! I can relate to bio as well, it's not the most interesting currently but I do enjoy it nonetheless.
    Prelim 2017
    English Advanced, English Extension 1, Legal Studies, Modern History, Biology, PDHPE & French Beginners

Thread Information