Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By InteGrand

Thread: Is it even possible?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    1

    Question Is it even possible?

    I'm talking about breaking the 99.35 mark set by previous English Standard students (see UAC scaling reports). Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen an ATAR higher than this when it comes to English Standard. People say that the ATAR has been "capped" at this number, but on the other hand people claim it's possible to get 99.95 with any combination of subjects!

    People say the reason it's capped is because the more "abled" students take English Advanced and so there are less band 6s in Standard. I wanted to also take Advanced but it's not offered at my school.

    Let's say hypothetically that the rest of your courses are really high-scaling, and you get something like a 95+ HSC mark in all of them including English Standard (if that's even possible). Is that enough to maybe guarantee breaking that 99.35 ATAR and maybe getting 99.90+? Is there any precedent of this happening?

  2. #2
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,770
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is it even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jodongo View Post
    I'm talking about breaking the 99.35 mark set by previous English Standard students (see UAC scaling reports). Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen an ATAR higher than this when it comes to English Standard. People say that the ATAR has been "capped" at this number, but on the other hand people claim it's possible to get 99.95 with any combination of subjects!

    People say the reason it's capped is because the more "abled" students take English Advanced and so there are less band 6s in Standard. I wanted to also take Advanced but it's not offered at my school.

    Let's say hypothetically that the rest of your courses are really high-scaling, and you get something like a 95+ HSC mark in all of them including English Standard (if that's even possible). Is that enough to maybe guarantee breaking that 99.35 ATAR and maybe getting 99.90+? Is there any precedent of this happening?
    It is theoretically possible to get 99.95 ATAR while doing Standard English. Just because no-one may have done it before (which I'm not sure if the case, I haven't investigated), it would not imply that it is impossible to get 99.95 ATAR while doing Standard English.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is it even possible?

    Okay. But suppose you're not that good at English Standard (or you're stuck with a terrible teacher) and you just manage to scrape a HSC mark of 80. And in the rest of your courses you get high band 6s. What are the chances of getting 99.90?

  4. #4
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,770
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is it even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jodongo View Post
    Okay. But suppose you're not that good at English Standard (or you're stuck with a terrible teacher) and you just manage to scrape a HSC mark of 80. And in the rest of your courses you get high band 6s. What are the chances of getting 99.90?
    Practically 0 (even if it was 80 in English Advanced (talking about HSC Mark, not raw mark)).

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is it even possible?

    So is there any mark that you can achieve in English Standard to practically guarantee an ATAR of 99.90+?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Is it even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jodongo View Post
    So is there any mark that you can achieve in English Standard to practically guarantee an ATAR of 99.90+?
    If you are not too far from another school that offers Advanced (I mean most schools should...), just move schools. Unless you want to be the first person to get 99.9+ with Standard English..

  7. #7
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,770
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Is it even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jodongo View Post
    So is there any mark that you can achieve in English Standard to practically guarantee an ATAR of 99.90+?
    No mark in any one subject alone would "practically guarantee" 99.9+ ATAR. But you should probably try to get around mid-high 90's in English Standard if you want 99.9+ ATAR.
    kawaiipotato likes this.

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is it even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jodongo View Post
    Let's say hypothetically that the rest of your courses are really high-scaling, and you get something like a 95+ HSC mark in all of them including English Standard (if that's even possible). Is that enough to maybe guarantee breaking that 99.35 ATAR and maybe getting 99.90+?
    Yes, of course, it is. You can get a 99.95 ATAR with any subject. You need to do really well in all of your subjects as you stated above. Just work hard in English Standard. Make sure you perfect your essay and creative writing. Ask a variety of teachers to mark them and provide feedback. Go onto Matrix ATAR Calculator and Talent 100 ATAR Calculator. These websites break down what marks you need to achieve your goal ATAR.

    https://talent-100.com.au/atar-calculator/#welcome (Go to break down my ATAR).

    http://www.matrix.edu.au/atar-calculator/ (Go to reverse ATAR)

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Is it even possible?

    Thanks for the links and all your replies. By the looks of it, though, it looks like I won't be moving schools anytime soon (I'm studying offshore and there's only one school in the country offering the NSW curriculum), so I guess I have a lot of reading and studying to do.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •