Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: All three Science subjectss - GOOD OR BAD?

Cadet
    HSC

All three Science subjectss - GOOD OR BAD?

Hello.

So our subject selection deadline ended at the last day of school in Term 2 and I had chosen all 3 Science subjects (Phys, Chem and Bio), Ext 1 Math, English Advanced and Economics. A lot of my friends seemed concerned and said that it would be too hard to study for all three Science subjects but I enjoy Science (maybe not Chemistry as much but most Uni's have Chemistry as assumed knowledge for the courses I want to take). Physics I enjoy and have done well this year and I also enjoy Biology (more of the DNA, Genetics section, not so much the ecosystem studies but willing to do it anyways) and have also done well in this year.

So my question is, those who have done 3 Science subjects previously, is it really hard to study and get high marks (90+) in all three? And do you guys think with the subjects I took that it will be tough to get a good ATAR (not talking about scaling but rather the intensity of all these subjects)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by _Anonymous; 12 Jul 2017 at 8:38 PM.

HSC

Re: All three Science subjectss - GOOD OR BAD?

You can get a high atar through any combination of subjects, but yes scaling is generally better than the average with the subjects you chose but you still have to perform well for that scaling to have any benefits in terms of atar.

I think 3 sciences is a lot of work, but if you are talented in the area of science and enjoy the courses there is no reason why you can't get a high mark in each subject

I think your friends are probably thinking that because it is rare that someone is good in all three sciences, normally they are strong in 1 or 2
    Last edited by jazz519; 12 Jul 2017 at 8:22 PM.
    _Anonymous likes this.
    For Cheap High Quality Notes & Essays + Free Techniques Sheet: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-bus-94-a.html

2015 - Mathematics: (96)
    2016 - English Adv. (97) | Chemistry (93) | Maths (98) | 3U Math (48) | Physics (94) | Business Studies (94)
    Atar: 99.7 Dux

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    Hello.

So our subject selection deadline ended at the last day of school in Term 2 and I had chosen all 3 Science subjects (Phys, Chem and Bio), Ext 1 Math, English Advanced and Economics. A lot of my friends seemed concerned and said that it would be too hard to study for all three Science subjects but I enjoy Science (maybe not Chemistry as much but most Uni's have Chemistry as assumed knowledge for the courses I want to take). Physics I enjoy and have done well this year and I also enjoy Biology (more of the and have also done well in this year.

So my question is, those who have done 3 Science subjects previously, is it really hard to study and get high marks (90+) in all three? And do you guys think with the subjects I took that it will be tough to get a good ATAR (not talking about scaling but rather the intensity of all these subjects)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    It is. Well, not really hard, but it does require a substantial amount of effort in ALL 3 to be able to score 90+'s. Talking from my experience. In my opinion, Bio is the hardest to score marks in at our school, not necessarily because it's hard, but because they have a very strict criteria for short answers and extended responses, which means that one needs to have the precise wording of what one learns to be able to score full marks in a question. Basically, you have to hard-core memorise your notes word for word to be able to get good marks. The other two, being more mathematical, are less difficult to score marks in, provided you know your stuff.
    BTW, junior school physics is nothing compared to prelim and HSC physics, so be prepared for a shock like I had when you start learning the real physics of senior high school. It's significantly more challenging, and the level of mathematics is one step beyond just subbing straight into regurgitated formulae and getting your answer. There is more real problem solving involved. (Okay, others may say I'm exaggerating the difficulty of Yrs 11 and 12 physics, but you can take a look for yourself now if you care.)

If you're motivated enough, it'll be relatively easy to study all 3 of them thoroughly and therefore (hopefully) excel them. Science is easy enough if you're willing to put in the time and effort to study it properly, and not just cram it.
    Frostguard likes this.

HSC

If you enjoy science you should definitely take it everyone is different in a sense if you are extremely good in sciences than go for it I can speak from a personal level because I have taken three sciences,but you must be always consistent in your work and can't slack of for one day as the concept builds own for physics and chemistry, biology is easy but has a very high content in particular patterns in life chapter, unlike theories like Ancient history or Studies of religion which have low content in preliminary year 11 which can be balanced if you miss one day.So it always to keep consistence in your sciences, just practice everyday, but remember to take breaks as well. Don't listen to others they are just worried about you like jazz519 said. Judge your abilities and then choose because you know yourself better than anyone. Try borrowing some chemistry, physics or biology books and then decide if you can do it, try watching yourube videos to see if it's easy to grasp the concept.
    Hope this helped.

HSC

If you don't like chemistry do not take it even though you can drop it in year 12 it might become a scenario where you may need to drop a subject you struggling with and you can only drop one subject.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by highshill View Post
    If you don't like chemistry do not take it even though you can drop it in year 12 it might become a scenario where you may need to drop a subject you struggling with and you can only drop one subject.
    I'll definitely drop it if i do terribly in it.
    bujolover likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by bujolover View Post
    It is. Well, not really hard, but it does require a substantial amount of effort in ALL 3 to be able to score 90+'s. Talking from my experience. In my opinion, Bio is the hardest to score marks in at our school, not necessarily because it's hard, but because they have a very strict criteria for short answers and extended responses, which means that one needs to have the precise wording of what one learns to be able to score full marks in a question. Basically, you have to hard-core memorise your notes word for word to be able to get good marks. The other two, being more mathematical, are less difficult to score marks in, provided you know your stuff.
    BTW, junior school physics is nothing compared to prelim and HSC physics, so be prepared for a shock like I had when you start learning the real physics of senior high school. It's significantly more challenging, and the level of mathematics is one step beyond just subbing straight into regurgitated formulae and getting your answer. There is more real problem solving involved. (Okay, others may say I'm exaggerating the difficulty of Yrs 11 and 12 physics, but you can take a look for yourself now if you care.)

If you're motivated enough, it'll be relatively easy to study all 3 of them thoroughly and therefore (hopefully) excel them. Science is easy enough if you're willing to put in the time and effort to study it properly, and not just cram it.
    Bio's content changes drastically from Prelim to Year 12 I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong). Does the same happen to Phys and Chem or is it more like Math (both years' worth of content matters since content adds up)? Reason I'm asking this is say someone is doing well in all 3 subjects in Year 11, would it still be worth to keep Bio or drop it for a bit of breathing space? On the other hand, my teachers say to keep 13 units just in case I screw up another subject I don't have to worry about it since it won't be counted towards the ATAR. What do you think would be the smarter option? Also, syllabus change for Science subjects in the 2019 HSC (year I'm doing it), so I don't know much about the content being taught for Year 11 and 12 for us, but my teacher says Bio is mostly same, Chem and Phys are more Math based but not drastic change, is my teacher correct?

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by highshill View Post
    If you enjoy science you should definitely take it everyone is different in a sense if you are extremely good in sciences than go for it I can speak from a personal level because I have taken three sciences,but you must be always consistent in your work and can't slack of for one day as the concept builds own for physics and chemistry, biology is easy but has a very high content in particular patterns in life chapter, unlike theories like Ancient history or Studies of religion which have low content in preliminary year 11 which can be balanced if you miss one day.So it always to keep consistence in your sciences, just practice everyday, but remember to take breaks as well. Don't listen to others they are just worried about you like jazz519 said. Judge your abilities and then choose because you know yourself better than anyone. Try borrowing some chemistry, physics or biology books and then decide if you can do it, try watching yourube videos to see if it's easy to grasp the concept.
    Hope this helped.
    Thanks for your advice!

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by bujolover View Post

Do you know students who have achieved high marks by doing all three sciences? If so, how did they study (techniques, notes,etc)?

HSC

With all 3 sciences AND economics your workload will be massive so you'll either need to be studying so much or just drop one subject because they're all so content heavy and in the sciences you need specific terminology to get full marks in questions which is hard to achieve such detail if you study all 3.

If you enjoy science then I guess go for it because it won't be that painful to study but you'll need to manage time really well and be organised.

You could possibly learn some content ahead to ease the load from the future years too.
    Mathew587 and bujolover like this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    With all 3 sciences AND economics your workload will be massive so you'll either need to be studying so much or just drop one subject because they're all so content heavy and in the sciences you need specific terminology to get full marks in questions which is hard to achieve such detail if you study all 3.

If you enjoy science then I guess go for it because it won't be that painful to study but you'll need to manage time really well and be organised.

You could possibly learn some content ahead to ease the load from the future years too.
    can guarantee this will happen with you
    HSC 2017
    Eng Adv, 2u, Chem, Bio, Eco, Bus
    Legit feeling sad

Cadet
    HSC

Would Engineering Studies be a better option over Economics to reduce workload or would it also be content-heavy? I know Economics scales really well (someone said almost as good as 4U Math but I really doubt that), and I have an interest in the global economies and keep up with the news.

HSC

Would Engineering Studies be a better option over Economics to reduce workload or would it also be content-heavy? I know Economics scales really well (someone said almost as good as 4U Math but I really doubt that), and I have an interest in the global economies and keep up with the news.
    I think Engineering Studies has a lot of mathematical concepts involved and definitely does have a fair bit of content, not as much as Social Sciences but still, I don't think you should pick a subject because it has less of a workload but in saying that Economics has a lotttt of content. The thing about Eco scaling as well as 4 Unit I think is untrue, 4 Unit scales significantly well and while Eco scales well, it doesn't scale as high as 4 Unit Math. I normally would say that you choose a subject you're interested in and keeping up with the news is most definitely a good aspect in Economics (knowing recent statistics and general international stuff) it's not gonna be that helpful and that Economics has a lotta content (sorry gotta stress the fact, I'm doing Prelim Eco right now and there's 6 topics and I'm on topic 5 and to keep up with all the information, I wrote 30 notes so far, 60 sided pages and it's super helpful because there's only so much I can remember) but yeah, I really don't know what to do with your situation... Is there are a way you could not choose 3 Sciences? Maybe just choose 2 Science + Economics?
    Oh yeah if you're planning to do 3 Sciences, and you want to drop a Science in Year 12, I'd recommend Biology because it has the most content of the three and as Bujolover said, you must be specific word to word in the terminology to get full marks. (I'm normally a B-A type of science student, but in my first exam I got smacked with 47/72 and I lost so many marks because I didn't use the correct terminology and wording...)
    Basically just be careful on choosing 3 Sciences and if you can, choose 2 and leave the final 2 Units for Economics but Good Luck in the future and hopefully you choose subjects you love and enjoy.
    P.S there's like 2 kids who choose triple science and when assessment season comes, they get hit with all three assessments and right now Physics and Chemistry both have a 30% exam coming up so I think they're really stressing (then there's me Bio and I get 5% because I already did my 30% exam and I think I did awful lol)

HSC

To be honest probably just keep 3 core subjects (aka 3 out of phys chem bio eco) is what I would do and just have 11 units, and if you can then pick up MX2 in year 12 (if you're good at maths) and drop another one to have 2 cores and 10 units but if you do this you have to do well in all subjects. It's risky but if you know your abilities then you can do 10 units. I do 10 units right now (11 if counting SOR from last year) and there's around 16 hours of study periods per fortnight for me which has been very helpful and allowed me to complete HW at school (we get heaps of homework).

Engineering does have less content than economics and more maths stuff but economics makes up for it by being one of the highest scaling subjects. Although, scaling is irrelevant if you don't do good so it's good to do something you'll enjoy and study for a lot.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

Cadet
    HSC

To be honest probably just keep 3 core subjects (aka 3 out of phys chem bio eco) is what I would do and just have 11 units, and if you can then pick up MX2 in year 12 (if you're good at maths) and drop another one to have 2 cores and 10 units but if you do this you have to do well in all subjects. It's risky but if you know your abilities then you can do 10 units. I do 10 units right now (11 if counting SOR from last year) and there's around 16 hours of study periods per fortnight for me which has been very helpful and allowed me to complete HW at school (we get heaps of homework).

Engineering does have less content than economics and more maths stuff but economics makes up for it by being one of the highest scaling subjects. Although, scaling is irrelevant if you don't do good so it's good to do something you'll enjoy and study for a lot.
    Hmm, I understand what you're saying. I guess time will tell. But as I mentioned before, Bio's content changes drastically from Year 11 to 12, so say a student was achieving average marks in prelim for Bio (70-75%), would that same trend continue for Year 12 (provided the study time is same) or would it change since there are different topics (not plant related) in Year 12? I'm guessing Physics and Chemistry have content which accumulates information over time unlike Biology, am I correct? Same question with Economics, is it accumulative or does the prelim content differ to the Year 12 content?

HSC

Hmm, I understand what you're saying. I guess time will tell. But as I mentioned before, Bio's content changes drastically from Year 11 to 12, so say a student was achieving average marks in prelim for Bio (70-75%), would that same trend continue for Year 12 (provided the study time is same) or would it change since there are different topics (not plant related) in Year 12? I'm guessing Physics and Chemistry have content which accumulates information over time unlike Biology, am I correct? Same question with Economics, is it accumulative or does the prelim content differ to the Year 12 content?
    Barley any physics content carried on to be honest but if it does you go over it anyway in year 12. I don't do economics sorry can't answer for that.

The content isn't the same but the study method would be the same usually so the trend would probably continue since the content isn't ultra difficult as long as you keep applying the same study methods (or better ones) then the trend should continue unless you stuff up.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)

2017 HSC

Cadet
    HSC

All three Science subjectss - GOOD OR BAD?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    I think Engineering Studies has a lot of mathematical concepts involved and definitely does have a fair bit of content, not as much as Social Sciences but still, I don't think you should pick a subject because it has less of a workload but in saying that Economics has a lotttt of content. The thing about Eco scaling as well as 4 Unit I think is untrue, 4 Unit scales significantly well and while Eco scales well, it doesn't scale as high as 4 Unit Math. I normally would say that you choose a subject you're interested in and keeping up with the news is most definitely a good aspect in Economics (knowing recent statistics and general international stuff) it's not gonna be that helpful and that Economics has a lotta content (sorry gotta stress the fact, I'm doing Prelim Eco right now and there's 6 topics and I'm on topic 5 and to keep up with all the information, I wrote 30 notes so far, 60 sided pages and it's super helpful because there's only so much I can remember) but yeah, I really don't know what to do with your situation... Is there are a way you could not choose 3 Sciences? Maybe just choose 2 Science + Economics?
    Oh yeah if you're planning to do 3 Sciences, and you want to drop a Science in Year 12, I'd recommend Biology because it has the most content of the three and as Bujolover said, you must be specific word to word in the terminology to get full marks. (I'm normally a B-A type of science student, but in my first exam I got smacked with 47/72 and I lost so many marks because I didn't use the correct terminology and wording...)
    Basically just be careful on choosing 3 Sciences and if you can, choose 2 and leave the final 2 Units for Economics but Good Luck in the future and hopefully you choose subjects you love and enjoy.
    P.S there's like 2 kids who choose triple science and when assessment season comes, they get hit with all three assessments and right now Physics and Chemistry both have a 30% exam coming up so I think they're really stressing (then there's me Bio and I get 5% because I already did my 30% exam and I think I did awful lol)
    So you're saying it's more beneficial to keep Economics over Biology? I'm just wondering say for example someone gets 90% in both their Biology and Economics grade (prelim overall), would they still benefit by dropping Biology or would it be smarter to keep both subjects?

Which subject is the toughest to get marks in AND toughest to memorise content in (guessing it's either Economics or Biology)?

A question I have is do Universities prefer students having knowledge in Biology for their Medical Science/ MD courses? I know it only says Chemistry is assumed knowledge, would it disadvantage me if I drop Biology and later try out for Medicine? If not, I'm assuming they teach the required Biology knowledge during the first few weeks of the semester then?
    Last edited by _Anonymous; 13 Jul 2017 at 3:03 AM.

Cadet
    HSC

Barley any physics content carried on to be honest but if it does you go over it anyway in year 12. I don't do economics sorry can't answer for that.

The content isn't the same but the study method would be the same usually so the trend would probably continue since the content isn't ultra difficult as long as you keep applying the same study methods (or better ones) then the trend should continue unless you stuff up.
    But the thing with Chem and Phys I'm guessing is due to it mostly being formulas and applying them into questions, the change in topics don't impact students much. But Biology on the other hand focus on more Ecosystem based content during the Prelim years and more Genetics, DNA, anatomy (I think) during Year 12 (please correct me if I'm wrong). So I would assume a student's mark could change since the content is different quite significantly in the span of two years (student may write terrible ecosystem responses but amazing responses to DNA, Genetics content. Is that possible?) I may be completely wrong, but that's what I'm guessing.

HSC

So you're saying it's more beneficial to keep Economics over Biology? I'm just wondering say for example someone gets 90% in both their Biology and Economics grade (prelim overall), would they still benefit by dropping Biology or would it be smarter to keep both subjects?

Which subject is the toughest to get marks in AND toughest to memorise content in (guessing it's either Economics or Biology)?

A question I have is do Universities prefer students having knowledge in Biology for their Medical Science/ MD courses? I know it only says Chemistry is assumed knowledge, would it disadvantage me if I drop Biology and later try out for Medicine? If not, I'm assuming they teach the required Biology knowledge during the first few weeks of the semester then?
    Biology is definitely the easiest science because the content isn't very difficult, e.g physics has lots of conceptual stuff like relativity and also hard to understand content such as superconductors. I feel like it's much easier to memorise bio content because we can always apply it to everyday life (which my teacher recommends) e.g if you're urine is white-ish it means it's diluted, high levels of water etc whereas physics it's hard to apply neutrinos and black bodies to daily life.

MD says chem assumed knowledge so bio isn't required but it kinda relates IMO with the immune response, defense barriers, vaccinations, antibiotics and types of pathogens, but I don't do chem so I can't speak for its relation to medicine/med science.

Most unis have no prerequisites for medicine and if you are missing out on assumed knowledge you can learn it in the few months break you have before uni starts or take a bridging course.

But the thing with Chem and Phys I'm guessing is due to it mostly being formulas and applying them into questions, the change in topics don't impact students much. But Biology on the other hand focus on more Ecosystem based content during the Prelim years and more Genetics, DNA, anatomy (I think) during Year 12 (please correct me if I'm wrong). So I would assume a student's mark could change since the content is different quite significantly in the span of two years (student may write terrible ecosystem responses but amazing responses to DNA, Genetics content. Is that possible?) I may be completely wrong, but that's what I'm guessing.
    Physics the content definitely changes heaps and last year there was barey any "plug into calculator" questions, I think I counted 13/75 marks (questions where you write formulas and calculate). Honestly most subjects these days are just rote learning but if you know how to answer questions well it will make you stand out and get full marks in questions. Also yeah for bio the content does change (thank God, year 11 content is boring) towards a more human focused one, so how the body works (homeostasis, kidneys etc), DNA and genes, diseases and immunity, and option topic varies (we do communiction which I love).

Also yeah the marks can change but I doubt it since it's really just applying the same skill but different content. You still address a key verb, structure the same (e.g dot points, subheadings, tables), it's just different content and for our bio cohort most of the ranks stayed similar from year 11 to 12 with slight differences if people stepped up.

Make sure you hand in questions to teachers to practice answering questions and to refine your content as well as getting feedback, because the way you answer a question is really important. E.g. the marker has just marked 50 papers today, do they want to see subheadings + dot points or a whole slab of writing? It can lighten the mood which could boost you up if they're sitting on the fence between a 4 or 5 out of 5.

Make sure you know specifics for every subject, it's very important. You can write 5 pages for an 8 marker but if you answer it insufficiently or miss key details or specifics you will still lose marks. If you go overboard don't contradict your previous points and don't write wrong info (wrong info = lose a mark right away).
    _Anonymous likes this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)

2017 HSC

Cadet
    HSC

Biology is definitely the easiest science because the content isn't very difficult, e.g physics has lots of conceptual stuff like relativity and also hard to understand content such as superconductors. I feel like it's much easier to memorise bio content because we can always apply it to everyday life (which my teacher recommends) e.g if you're urine is white-ish it means it's diluted, high levels of water etc whereas physics it's hard to apply neutrinos and black bodies to daily life.

MD says chem assumed knowledge so bio isn't required but it kinda relates IMO with the immune response, defense barriers, vaccinations, antibiotics and types of pathogens, but I don't do chem so I can't speak for its relation to medicine/med science.

Most unis have no prerequisites for medicine and if you are missing out on assumed knowledge you can learn it in the few months break you have before uni starts or take a bridging course.

Physics the content definitely changes heaps and last year there was barey any "plug into calculator" questions, I think I counted 13/75 marks (questions where you write formulas and calculate). Honestly most subjects these days are just rote learning but if you know how to answer questions well it will make you stand out and get full marks in questions. Also yeah for bio the content does change (thank God, year 11 content is boring) towards a more human focused one, so how the body works (homeostasis, kidneys etc), DNA and genes, diseases and immunity, and option topic varies (we do communiction which I love).

Also yeah the marks can change but I doubt it since it's really just applying the same skill but different content. You still address a key verb, structure the same (e.g dot points, subheadings, tables), it's just different content and for our bio cohort most of the ranks stayed similar from year 11 to 12 with slight differences if people stepped up.

Make sure you hand in questions to teachers to practice answering questions and to refine your content as well as getting feedback, because the way you answer a question is really important. E.g. the marker has just marked 50 papers today, do they want to see subheadings + dot points or a whole slab of writing? It can lighten the mood which could boost you up if they're sitting on the fence between a 4 or 5 out of 5.

Make sure you know specifics for every subject, it's very important. You can write 5 pages for an 8 marker but if you answer it insufficiently or miss key details or specifics you will still lose marks. If you go overboard don't contradict your previous points and don't write wrong info (wrong info = lose a mark right away).
    Thanks a lot for your help, just got one more question; which one is easier to study for AND get marks in: Biology or Economics?

HSC
    N/A

Thanks a lot for your help, just got one more question; which one is easier to study for AND get marks in: Biology or Economics?
    Eco scales higher but I think bio is easier to understand imo, both have a lot of content. Which subject is your school better at catering towards go for that, choosing eco helps for choosing broader uni courses or so I've been told. At the end of the day which subject appeals too you most pick that.

Edit: bio requires to answer the questions really specifically to the marking criteria, (a lot of memorisation, get ready) regardless if you memorise the right stuff then you're set for bio or else you end up not getting marks.
    Last edited by gaslight; 13 Jul 2017 at 1:01 PM.
    hsc: 3u english, 3u maths, economics, biology, chemistry

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by gaslight View Post
    Eco scales higher but I think bio is easier to understand imo, both have a lot of content. Which subject is your school better at catering towards go for that, choosing eco helps for choosing broader uni courses or so I've been told. At the end of the day which subject appeals too you most pick that.

Edit: bio requires to answer the questions really specifically to the marking criteria, (a lot of memorisation, get ready) regardless if you memorise the right stuff then you're set for bio or else you end up not getting marks.
    So if I were to drop Economics, would studying 3 sciences still be tough to get high marks in?

HSC
    N/A

So if I were to drop Economics, would studying 3 sciences still be tough to get high marks in?
    It shouldn't be too tough, heaps of people do well with 3 sciences just don't procrastinate and study throughly each day.
    Mathew587 and _Anonymous like this.
    hsc: 3u english, 3u maths, economics, biology, chemistry

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by gaslight View Post
    It shouldn't be too tough, heaps of people do well with 3 sciences just don't procrastinate and study throughly each day.
    Right, but obviously not as hard if I were to keep Economics AND do 3 sciences right?

HSC

Right, but obviously not as hard if I were to keep Economics AND do 3 sciences right?
    I had a friend who did 3 sciences, eco, 3u maths and 2u english and she was doing pretty well in y11

But then she dropped eco in y12 because she found out it wasn't for her and her marks rose even more because she had more time to dedicate to each of her subjects

iirc she studied as much as the average student I guess

Also you can always choose subjects for now and drop/swap during first few weeks of year 11 right?? Maybe give it all a try first??
    hello

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information