Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Bored of Studies
  • 1 Post By Kaan709
  • 2 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By Neil_
  • 1 Post By Flop21
  • 1 Post By Flop21

Thread: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

  1. #1
    Official Announcer
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    468
    Rep Power
    20

    HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?


    What does the community think of HSC Mobile Apps?
    There are many good ones out there but what about them do you think are especially useful or what aspects do you think make them not so valuable.

    An old friend of the website has created a cool app that will help you with preparing for the HSCs. Check out Cram Station.

    The Crammers have launched a series of apps, click on the following download links and let us know what you think.

    Business Studies – Android: Download Here
    Business Studies – iOS: Download Here

    Math General 2 – Android: Download Here
    Math General 2 – iOS: Download Here

    Math 2 Unit – Android: Download Here
    Math 2 Unit – iOS: Download Here

    Biology - Android: Download Here
    Biology - iOS: Download Here
    pikachu975 likes this.
    Bored of Studies
    www.boredofstudies.org
    Australia's largest online high school and university student community

  2. #2
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Why restrict the content of the apps, and require users to pay for a premium account? Isn't the purpose to reform conventional studying to meet societies reliance on tech, and ease of access? Or to give everyone an equal opportunity to education, regardless of money? How can our right to education, be in your terms, a privilege?

    I have many more questions, but unfortunately I come from a lower socioeconomic area, so I wouldn't be able to afford the 'premium' of unlocking all of your answers.

    P.S. It's NESA not BOS...
    mycoolstory likes this.

  3. #3
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,565
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    Why restrict the content of the apps, and require users to pay for a premium account? Isn't the purpose to reform conventional studying to meet societies reliance on tech, and ease of access? Or to give everyone an equal opportunity to education, regardless of money? How can our right to education, be in your terms, a privilege?

    I have many more questions, but unfortunately I come from a lower socioeconomic area, so I wouldn't be able to afford the 'premium' of unlocking all of your answers.

    P.S. It's NESA not BOS...
    Where is the bold part stated? Do you pay for clothes? Shouldn't wearing clothes be a privilege? If so why do clothes cost money?
    30june2016 and -s- like this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

  4. #4
    -s-
    -s- is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Where is the bold part stated? Do you pay for clothes? Shouldn't wearing clothes be a privilege? If so why do clothes cost money?
    I concur

  5. #5
    Cadet Neil_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    Why restrict the content of the apps, and require users to pay for a premium account? Isn't the purpose to reform conventional studying to meet societies reliance on tech, and ease of access? Or to give everyone an equal opportunity to education, regardless of money? How can our right to education, be in your terms, a privilege?

    P.S. It's NESA not BOS...

    Developing apps and such take time, developers need to make money. It's one's choice if they want to pay or not just as it's someone's choice to attend a public school or a private school.
    pikachu975 likes this.
    HSC Search Engine:
    http://neilau.me

  6. #6
    New Member mycoolstory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Where is the bold part stated? Do you pay for clothes? Shouldn't wearing clothes be a privilege? If so why do clothes cost money?
    You can't really say that because the two are completely different in their contexts. I neither disagree or agree with your view, but, the app should be free to some extend and not restricted to "buy to survive" like most apps.
    2017 HSC

    Maths General • English Advanced • Software Design and Development • Physics • Ancient History


    >97 pls

  7. #7
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,860
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    Why restrict the content of the apps, and require users to pay for a premium account? Isn't the purpose to reform conventional studying to meet societies reliance on tech, and ease of access? Or to give everyone an equal opportunity to education, regardless of money? How can our right to education, be in your terms, a privilege?

    I have many more questions, but unfortunately I come from a lower socioeconomic area, so I wouldn't be able to afford the 'premium' of unlocking all of your answers.

    P.S. It's NESA not BOS...
    Get a job then
    pikachu975 likes this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  8. #8
    Junior Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    Why restrict the content of the apps, and require users to pay for a premium account? Isn't the purpose to reform conventional studying to meet societies reliance on tech, and ease of access? Or to give everyone an equal opportunity to education, regardless of money? How can our right to education, be in your terms, a privilege?

    I have many more questions, but unfortunately I come from a lower socioeconomic area, so I wouldn't be able to afford the 'premium' of unlocking all of your answers.

    P.S. It's NESA not BOS...
    People need to work for money (and to survive), it isn't fair that they're working for nothing in return

    Imagine you had a shop selling food and worked very long hours for your family. If no one paid for the food you sold to them how would you feel?

    You get where I'm coming from? These apps are wants not needs.

  9. #9
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Where is the bold part stated? Do you pay for clothes? Shouldn't wearing clothes be a privilege? If so why do clothes cost money?
    Quote Originally Posted by -s- View Post
    I concur
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_ View Post
    Developing apps and such take time, developers need to make money. It's one's choice if they want to pay or not just as it's someone's choice to attend a public school or a private school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Get a job then
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxnuts View Post
    People need to work for money (and to survive), it isn't fair that they're working for nothing in return

    Imagine you had a shop selling food and worked very long hours for your family. If no one paid for the food you sold to them how would you feel?

    You get where I'm coming from? These apps are wants not needs.
    The notion that education's a privilege has been negated both on a domestic and international level; seen in numerous conventions – ICESCR and statutes – Education Act. To which 164 countries agree with and have, or are implementing free education. States are doing this because they know that education builds the wealth of the nation [https://phys.org/news/2011-10-countr...nowledge.html].

    To be clear, BOSTES/NESA is a government agency, in which receives funds via. NSW State government (the 2017 Budget has redirected $19b into public schools). That being said, the developers of the app are working for the government, and have been paid.

    Also, as said before, the purpose of this app was to adapt studying and learning to current technology, as to "keep up with the times".

    Out of 41 middle-high income countries, we're ranking 39th. We've now allowed universities to determine their own prices, and are introducing interests rates to CSP (formerly HECS) up to 6%. University will be a privilege, or a gamble of becoming successful or miserably poor.

    Education is a collective right. It's a mutualistic relationship. It develops our personality.

    I'll leave that with you, food for thought.

  10. #10
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,565
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    The notion that education's a privilege has been negated both on a domestic and international level; seen in numerous conventions – ICESCR and statutes – Education Act. To which 164 countries agree with and have, or are implementing free education. States are doing this because they know that education builds the wealth of the nation [https://phys.org/news/2011-10-countr...nowledge.html].

    To be clear, BOSTES/NESA is a government agency, in which receives funds via. NSW State government (the 2017 Budget has redirected $19b into public schools). That being said, the developers of the app are working for the government, and have been paid.

    Also, as said before, the purpose of this app was to adapt studying and learning to current technology, as to "keep up with the times".

    Out of 41 middle-high income countries, we're ranking 39th. We've now allowed universities to determine their own prices, and are introducing interests rates to CSP (formerly HECS) up to 6%. University will be a privilege, or a gamble of becoming successful or miserably poor.

    Education is a collective right. It's a mutualistic relationship. It develops our personality.

    I'll leave that with you, food for thought.
    I still don't see where you are reading that the app should be free. Also in the bold part, the app is achieving just that, it's using modern technology, i.e. apps on the phone/ipad/android to modernise education rather than in books.
    Last edited by pikachu975; 4 Sep 2017 at 11:24 PM.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

  11. #11
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,860
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    The notion that education's a privilege has been negated both on a domestic and international level; seen in numerous conventions – ICESCR and statutes – Education Act. To which 164 countries agree with and have, or are implementing free education. States are doing this because they know that education builds the wealth of the nation [https://phys.org/news/2011-10-countr...nowledge.html].

    To be clear, BOSTES/NESA is a government agency, in which receives funds via. NSW State government (the 2017 Budget has redirected $19b into public schools). That being said, the developers of the app are working for the government, and have been paid.

    Also, as said before, the purpose of this app was to adapt studying and learning to current technology, as to "keep up with the times".

    Out of 41 middle-high income countries, we're ranking 39th. We've now allowed universities to determine their own prices, and are introducing interests rates to CSP (formerly HECS) up to 6%. University will be a privilege, or a gamble of becoming successful or miserably poor.

    Education is a collective right. It's a mutualistic relationship. It develops our personality.

    I'll leave that with you, food for thought.
    Haha. Damn I guess that teenage entitlement has gone to your head stronger than others?

    1. Where are you getting that they are working for the government? This forum is not a government forum, it's BORED of studies not BOARD of studies. Plus OP even says a friend of the site... not the site.

    2. You don't get to throw what you think is a right at businesses and demand free things. E.g. food is a right, but can I go to McDonald's and DEMAND free food because it's my right to eat?

    Nah.

    Oh and here's an idea, if you want this for free, get off your butt and learn the skills to make something like this and make it for free all!

    Stop being stupid kid.
    pikachu975 likes this.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  12. #12
    Junior Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Can I just say these apps are made by independent contractors (I think) and has nothing to do with NESA, public schools or private schools (as in people from the following weren’t involved in making these apps I suppose)

    I know you think that these apps should be for free because it’s education and everyone should have their own respective rights to education but at public schools all the government can do is fund teachers, HT’s, deputy principals, principals, admin staff, a technical officer and resources for student learning (textbooks, musical instruments, paper, etc). At one school that is already heaps of funding and it would cost more than $1 million to fund that just at one school (depending on school and its size) for one year and note that they would have to do that for hundreds of high schools. You also need to note that the government does this for primary schools as well as tertiary institutions (i.e. universities). Do you see how much money the government already funds education? I just don’t understand why you demand more, especially when these apps aren’t made with people involved with the NESA, public and private high schools (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

    And since these apps are made by independent contractors, funding for it is much more difficult than high schools. The reason why you are allowed to attend high school for ‘free’ (with the exception of school fees) is that the government does all the funding on your behalf and I see with your attitude, you’re not grateful for that and want more? Does the government fund these cram station apps? I doubt they would because of the fact they already need to fund so many schools in the state

    Honestly, I understand you’re unhappy with the fact that these apps cost money however you need to realise (and this has been said numerous times but you’ve just refused to accept the truth) that people need money to survive. It isn’t fair that their giving up their precious time for nothing in return. Imagine you worked long hours and you got nothing in return? These people could actually end up enjoying themselves as opposed to making these apps to “sell” but they choose the latter (which I will not bother to explain). Yes everyone wants free education however you need to realise that 1)people need money to survive, they aren’t doing it to rip people off 2)the government wont bother funding these apps because they are made by independent contractors

    And honestly I hope that you understand that these people aren’t money grubbers. They do it because they need money. I think you are the greedy one who is always demanding such things and just doesn’t want to accept the fact that these apps cost money. You need to face reality that there are a bunch of services that cost money and the reason why they cost money is because people need to survive

    tl dr: the goverment has so much to already fund hence they wont bother with these apps however people need to work money, they're not money grubbers and it's not fair that they're working for free. Mind you these apps are made by independent contractors, not the government

  13. #13
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Haha. Damn I guess that teenage entitlement has gone to your head stronger than others?

    1. Where are you getting that they are working for the government? This forum is not a government forum, it's BORED of studies not BOARD of studies. Plus OP even says a friend of the site... not the site.

    2. You don't get to throw what you think is a right at businesses and demand free things. E.g. food is a right, but can I go to McDonald's and DEMAND free food because it's my right to eat?

    Nah.

    Oh and here's an idea, if you want this for free, get off your butt and learn the skills to make something like this and make it for free all!

    Stop being stupid kid.

    1. Your analogies still fly past the point.

    2. I work 15 hours a week to support myself financially (clothes, school supplies, food etc.). Have been doing that most of my high school life, and i'm not complaining about it. But to thousands of other kids doing the same, it's hard to have an equal playing field when you've been financially disadvantaged.





    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxnuts View Post
    Can I just say these apps are made by independent contractors (I think) and has nothing to do with NESA, public schools or private schools (as in people from the following weren’t involved in making these apps I suppose)

    I know you think that these apps should be for free because it’s education and everyone should have their own respective rights to education but at public schools all the government can do is fund teachers, HT’s, deputy principals, principals, admin staff, a technical officer and resources for student learning (textbooks, musical instruments, paper, etc). At one school that is already heaps of funding and it would cost more than $1 million to fund that just at one school (depending on school and its size) for one year and note that they would have to do that for hundreds of high schools. You also need to note that the government does this for primary schools as well as tertiary institutions (i.e. universities). Do you see how much money the government already funds education? I just don’t understand why you demand more, especially when these apps aren’t made with people involved with the NESA, public and private high schools (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

    And since these apps are made by independent contractors, funding for it is much more difficult than high schools. The reason why you are allowed to attend high school for ‘free’ (with the exception of school fees) is that the government does all the funding on your behalf and I see with your attitude, you’re not grateful for that and want more? Does the government fund these cram station apps? I doubt they would because of the fact they already need to fund so many schools in the state

    Honestly, I understand you’re unhappy with the fact that these apps cost money however you need to realise (and this has been said numerous times but you’ve just refused to accept the truth) that people need money to survive. It isn’t fair that their giving up their precious time for nothing in return. Imagine you worked long hours and you got nothing in return? These people could actually end up enjoying themselves as opposed to making these apps to “sell” but they choose the latter (which I will not bother to explain). Yes everyone wants free education however you need to realise that 1)people need money to survive, they aren’t doing it to rip people off 2)the government wont bother funding these apps because they are made by independent contractors

    And honestly I hope that you understand that these people aren’t money grubbers. They do it because they need money. I think you are the greedy one who is always demanding such things and just doesn’t want to accept the fact that these apps cost money. You need to face reality that there are a bunch of services that cost money and the reason why they cost money is because people need to survive

    tl dr: the goverment has so much to already fund hence they wont bother with these apps however people need to work money, they're not money grubbers and it's not fair that they're working for free. Mind you these apps are made by independent contractors, not the government

    Thank you for having an educated response, instead of personal attacks. My assumption was that the apps were working closely with BOSTES, as emails and other advertisement was sent through my EDU email.

    The government does fund education to a higher standard, yet we can see that Study booklets (Past Exams) are being sold; as with the app. I just find it ironic that we can spend $122 million on a postal plebiscite (non-binding), and $164 million on drug testing welfare recipients, yet proactive measures are budgeted.

    I personally don't think the app is all that great, yet. However, my argument resides with the thousands of disadvantaged kids.


    Deferred, Ad nauseam.

  14. #14
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,565
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    I personally don't think the app is all that great, yet. However, my argument resides with the thousands of disadvantaged kids.


    Deferred, Ad nauseam.
    You're legit the only person on the entire forum complaining your argument resides with yourself only
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

    2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    You're legit the only person on the entire forum complaining your argument resides with yourself only
    there is no need to be hostile

    Kaan's point about the inequity and reduced educational opportunities for disadvantaged groups is a valid concern and a pretty big issue that should be addressed (ie affirmative action, but that still doesnt solve the root cause and can limit opportunities for other groups of people). However, I do agree that the developers have a right to be paid for their work, and aren't really accountable for society's big problems l 0 l (or r theyyyy ppl&politics.jpg)

    To answer OP: I would be hesitant to use these apps since notes/books are nice and pretty portable to start with :^) Add in the cost, and its a nay
    そうだいよね

  16. #16
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,860
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vankyrie Ludenberg View Post
    there is no need to be hostile

    Kaan's point about the inequity and reduced educational opportunities for disadvantaged groups is a valid concern and a pretty big issue that should be addressed (ie affirmative action, but that still doesnt solve the root cause and can limit opportunities for other groups of people). However, I do agree that the developers have a right to be paid for their work, and aren't really accountable for society's big problems l 0 l (or r theyyyy ppl&politics.jpg)

    To answer OP: I would be hesitant to use these apps since notes/books are nice and pretty portable to start with :^) Add in the cost, and its a nay
    Do something about it then. Don't sit in a forum and complain when you're doing nothing to solve it.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  17. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Do something about it then. Don't sit in a forum and complain when you're doing nothing to solve it.
    I was merely trying to make a few points and attacking others is hardly constructive
    そうだいよね

  18. #18
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Do something about it then. Don't sit in a forum and complain when you're doing nothing to solve it.
    We're on a forum. We discuss on forums. Calm yourself little one.

  19. #19
    Supreme Member Flop21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,860
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaan709 View Post
    We're on a forum. We discuss on forums. Calm yourself little one.
    and I am discussing

    or wait, can only YOU discuss?
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

    HSC Biology Flashcards

  20. #20
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HSC Mobile Apps, yay or nay?

    Quote "Don't sit in a forum and complain"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •