Thread: nazi germany and totalitarianism

HSC

nazi germany and totalitarianism

would be a wrong or a ineffective argument in terms of a evaluate question to say the for and against and conclude with the idea that the extent to which it is considered totalitarian is subjective or do you have to take one side?

HSC

Re: nazi germany and totalitarianism

I'm no expert, but considering it is an evaluate question, you need to make a judgement on the extent to which it is considered totalitarian. Don't necessarily say it is only one side or the other, but rather describe the extent to which people consider it totalitarian and the extent to which people don't consider it totalitarian, i.e., you are weighing up conflicting evidence to decide whether it is more often considered totalitarian or not totalitarian, then making your judgement. Reflect this in your conclusion.
    Last edited by red152; 9 Oct 2017 at 5:59 PM.
    Preliminary HSC (2018)
    English (Advanced) | Studies of Religion 1 | Legal Studies | Mathematics (Accelerated) | Chemistry | Physics

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by red152 View Post
    I'm no expert, but considering it is an evaluate question, you need to make a judgement on the extent to which it is considered totalitarian. Don't necessarily say it is only one side or the other, but rather describe the extent to which people consider it totalitarian and the extent to which people don't consider it totalitarian, i.e., you are weighing up conflicting evidence to decide whether it is more often considered totalitarian or not totalitarian, then making your judgement. Reflect this in your conclusion.
    thats what i was doing half of my essay is for while the other half is against its just in terms of this dot point both can be right in terms of the last judgement

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by zeee1999 View Post
    thats what i was doing half of my essay is for while the other half is against its just in terms of this dot point both can be right in terms of the last judgement
    What evidence are you using?
    Preliminary HSC (2018)
    English (Advanced) | Studies of Religion 1 | Legal Studies | Mathematics (Accelerated) | Chemistry | Physics

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by red152 View Post
    What evidence are you using?
    for; suppression of political opposition+use of violence to threaten (ss , sa , gestapo) , propoganda in aiding the dissemination of nazi ideology and having been prominent in arts , media etc , other things like compulsory attendence of hitler youth

against; it being a polycratic bureaucracy that was chaotic , relied on popularity within germany , he wasnt in control of economy nad maybe the idea that there as never total conformity although that idea cant be extensively elaborated on

HSC

You could say that the extent to which nazi Germany was totalitarian varied over the period, or was strong or weak. You need to make a judgement of some sort, don't say it is subjective. It would probably be best to get the opinion of someone who has completed this course...
    Preliminary HSC (2018)

Cadet
    HSC

It is better to take an argument one side or another as opposed to sitting on the fence in modern history. However depending on the question if you have enough justification and evidence in your response to provide a two sided argument you can still do equally as well. It is very hard to pull off effectively though.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by The Doozy View Post
    It is better to take an argument one side or another as opposed to sitting on the fence in modern history. However depending on the question if you have enough justification and evidence in your response to provide a two sided argument you can still do equally as well. It is very hard to pull off effectively though.
    if this question does pop up my plan is to argue both sides but conclude with the idea that it was totalitarian

Cadet
    HSC

I reckon you should argue that it was totalitarian the entire essay. For my essay I would have paragraphs on how the Nazi's had a single party ideology, a single charismatic leader, the Nazi's total control over societal functioning and how they controlled the military.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by The Doozy View Post
    I reckon you should argue that it was totalitarian the entire essay. For my essay I would have paragraphs on how the Nazi's had a single party ideology, a single charismatic leader, the Nazi's total control over societal functioning and how they controlled the military.
    yepp i thought about it and arguing two sides would be too much of a effort if i could just take one side and maintain a solid argument

HSC

the way I have approached this question in the past is by examining the seven aspects of totalitarian states outlined in the Ken Webb textbook and then presenting both sides of it being totalitarian and it not, drawing comparison to the Soviet Union r.e. a few aspects.

I've attached a document that outlines the argument on both the for and against, feel free to use it!

Germany Totalitarianism .pdf
    Last edited by Weaboo123; 19 Oct 2017 at 10:48 AM.

HSC

Hi!

The way I approached this question in my trials was to break it up into themes using the generally accepted criteria for a totalitarian state - single party in power, a pervasive official ideology, total state control over social institutions and a widespread system of terror. In evaluating the evidence and historiography on both sides, I concluded that whilst Nazi Germany certainly had aspects of a totalitarian regime, it was not a totalitarian state overall.

Thread Information