Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zarlia

Thread: Co-op Finance and Banking or Accounting and Business Management?

HSC

Co-op Finance and Banking or Accounting and Business Management?

Alright so the deal is that I was recently offered an interview for both the UNSW Co-op Finance and Banking program and Accounting and Business Management program and need help deciding which one is right for me. In terms of my personal career goal I am looking to progress into a graduate position in management consulting and one day start my own business.

The obvious solution would be to take the Accounting and Business Management route, but after serving my time as a treasurer for a not-for-profit and doing work experience under the CFO at a local accounting firm, I admit that I'm not very enthusiastic about the prospect of sitting at a desk and filling in spreadsheets year-in and year-out. Not to say that most Investment Bankers don't spend the majority of their time doing that too- it's just that they work in a much more fast paced environment and it seems to be a bit more challenging (and fun) in the long run.

Really, the crux of it is that I want to develop the financial skills and acumen that will be most useful for me in a management position. From the research I've done I've arrived at the conclusion that though accounting is more relevant to understanding the internal finacial operations of an organisation, a background in finance and banking equips you with the skills to understand the financial drivers of the company which is useful in informing strategic decisions that determine the future of an organisation.

Side note: the Co-op Banking and Finance stream allows you to do internship placements with many of the big investment banks including JP Morgan, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Citigroup and Credit Suisse, whereas only one of the Big 4 (Deloitte) has signed on to sponsor the Co-op Accounting stream.

Admittedly, it does sound like I'm already decided, but, I would like to know if there's possibly another facet that I'm overlooking. I know an interview doesn't necessary guarantee anything, but given how competitive co-op is I don't want to walk in still undecided because I know just how much everyone else who applied to both streams will really want it.

Cheers, and thank you for your input in advance
    mreditor16 likes this.

HSC

Re: Co-op Finance and Banking or Accounting and Business Management?

It sounds like Banking and Finance is your best bet
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrotsticks View Post
    cos I'm thirsty af always
    Quote Originally Posted by teridax View Post
    +1 BoS went to a whole new level of stupid.

Executive Member
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mreditor16 View Post
    It sounds like Banking and Finance is your best bet
    Investment Bankers don't spend the majority of their time doing that too- it's just that they work in a much more fast paced environment and it seems to be a bit more challenging (and fun) in the long run.

- I don't think so...

Cadet
    HSC

Just accept both interviews to maximise your chances. For people that have 2 interviews (myself included) I’m fairly sure they would ask at some stage in the interview what you would prefer if it came down to it.

Thread Information