Thread: Year 10 Subject Selection: Physics vs Eco

HSC
    N/A

Year 10 Subject Selection: Physics vs Eco

Hi all!
    We've already chosen our subjects for Year 11 a few months ago but next week, we have a chance to switch subjects.
    I originally chose Economics but now I'm having second thoughts, as I'm not a huge fan of essays or commerce right now.

My other subjects are:
    3U Maths
    3U English
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Agriculture

Thoughts on which one to pick?
    Also, what are the main major changes to the science syllabuses for 2019 HSC students?

HSC

Re: Year 10 Subject Selection: Physics vs Eco

Physics is getting a revamp in 2019 with better content so I'd go with that since you do 2 sciences already so it seems like you're suited for science
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

HSC

I chose Economics thinking it would be like Commerce and boy I was wrong, you'd think that the two subjects would be similar but it wasn't (as seen with my first topic test where I got 65% LMAO ). Commerce was a combination of the many subjects and it branches out into Eco, Bus, and Legal and Economics obviously focuses much more in depth economical aspects, growth and all that sort of stuff. If you dislike essays don't choose this subject because this subject is very content heavy with a lot of essays (usually Prelim/HSC exams have 2 essays each). Then again, Economics is a clean slate from Commerce, you may or may not do well, depends on your ability to memorise and apply information and most importantly your interest in the subject.

Take Physics if you prefer not to write essays, doing practicals and getting straight to the point. The new science syllabus especially Physics and Chemistry have a bigger focus on mathematical concepts and not so much history of the science. Since you're doing 3U maths, I don't think you'll struggle with the new syllabus but just be prepared to face more equations and formulas.

Basically as long as you choose a subject where you are interested, you normally do better. Good Luck buddy!
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Physics is getting a revamp in 2019 with better content so I'd go with that since you do 2 sciences already so it seems like you're suited for science
    What's significantly different about the new 2019 science (chem/bio/phys) syllabuses compared to the old ones?

HSC

Less rote learn e.g. no impact on society
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

Executive Member
    HSC

I personally did both and dropped Physics in year 12. Physics is definitely less mathematically rigorous, more like history and ethics imo. Whereas Economics was interesting and could be applied in real life. But it seems like you're more into science whereas I was into humanities, so why not look at both syllabus and textbooks to see which one interests you more.

Thread Information