Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By cherryboi
  • 2 Post By laodeming
  • 2 Post By nesco49

Thread: Making Maths Compulsory for HSC students

HSC

Making Maths Compulsory for HSC students

Do you guys think that maths should be compulsory for HSC Students? Personally I do considering the use of mathematics daily in our lives and the simple fact that so many people cannot do simple calculations in their head. I also feel they should revise the syllabus and make general maths more challenging (I dont know what the new syllabus is and whether its more challenging than the current). There is often arguments that people (Normally english/humanities students) make that some people are not natural at maths which i find bs. I remember I was terrible in yr 7 & 8 but then once i found out the importance i started appreciating it and am doing pretty well now and enjoy it the most! I just feel that rather than people not being natural they never put effort in it and appreciate the beauty which surrounds it. The truth is that I can say the same thing with English on how its compulsory when im so unnatural at it. I still have to do it. I think they should introduce a system in which Math and English are compulsory in year 11 and you can pick from 4 other subjects to a total of 12 units (more if extension subjects are chosen). And then in year 12 you have an option to drop one of the compulsory subjects from math or english or you can keep both if you like.

What do you guys think about the whole discussion on this?!

HSC

Re: Making Maths Compulsory for HSC students

Quote Originally Posted by cherryboi View Post
    Do you guys think that maths should be compulsory for HSC Students? Personally I do considering the use of mathematics daily in our lives and the simple fact that so many people cannot do simple calculations in their head. I also feel they should revise the syllabus and make general maths more challenging (I dont know what the new syllabus is and whether its more challenging than the current). There is often arguments that people (Normally english/humanities students) make that some people are not natural at maths which i find bs. I remember I was terrible in yr 7 & 8 but then once i found out the importance i started appreciating it and am doing pretty well now and enjoy it the most! I just feel that rather than people not being natural they never put effort in it and appreciate the beauty which surrounds it. The truth is that I can say the same thing with English on how its compulsory when im so unnatural at it. I still have to do it. I think they should introduce a system in which Math and English are compulsory in year 11 and you can pick from 4 other subjects to a total of 12 units (more if extension subjects are chosen). And then in year 12 you have an option to drop one of the compulsory subjects from math or english or you can keep both if you like.

What do you guys think about the whole discussion on this?!
    I agree that you raise a very important point about the insidious creep of innumeracy amongst ordinary people. However, simply making maths compulsory in Years 11 and 12 is akin to locking the barn door after the horse has bolted. Even year 9 and 10 maths is more than sufficient to get by in ordinary life (heck, you do parabolas and logarithms in Year 10!). The problem is that many students' skills and motivation in maths has declined so much by this point that any further exposure to the subject is of minimal benefit.

The root of the issue, in my opinion, stems from insufficient grounding in the fundamentals of mathematics at the primary school and early secondary (Years 7-8) level. Better teaching practices and higher expectations of students from the outset may better 'prime' them to view maths in a positive light, increasing the prospects of them (meaningfully) retaining the subject in Years 11/12 and beyond.

As for English being compulsory (as opposed to any other subject), I understand this is because the scaling process used by NESA works better if there is a subject that all students in the cohort sit together. Students' performances in English can then be used to compare the strengths of other subjects' candidatures, allowing NESA to determine which subjects should 'scale' better than others.
    Last edited by laodeming; 14 Nov 2017 at 11:43 PM.
    ichila101 and highshill like this.
    2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by laodeming View Post
    As for English being compulsory (as opposed to any other subject), I understand this is because the scaling process used by NESA works better if there is a subject that all students in the cohort sit together. Students' performances in English can then be used to compare the strengths of other subjects' candidatures, allowing NESA to determine which subjects should 'scale' better than others.
    I don't think this argument would explain why English needs to be made compulsory, but rather that some particular subject should be compulsory (for scaling purposes).

HSC

Ha dude if only english wasn't compulsory. I suck so much at it
    ichila101 and highshill like this.
    Mathematics Ext 1 Adv Mathematics > Biology Adv English PDHPE Chemistry < SLR

➋☻➊➒

HSC

This is an interesting topic
    Last edited by highshill; 15 Nov 2017 at 7:45 PM.
    Year 11 (2017):
    English Advanced // Mathematics // Physics // Biology // Chemistry // Ancient History
    Year 12 (late 2017-2018)
    English Advanced // Mathematics // Physics // Biology// Ancient History

HSC

In saying that its important to make some level of mathematics compulsory, I also believe that some level of English also should be compulsory in year 11 at least. Both subjects are equally important to society, but my argument is rather on why isn't maths compulsory rather than a Mathematics vs English debate. Ive also heard the argument on a science subject being compulsory which I think happens in Western Australia?! not sure exactly. But there is no way I believe that a science subject should be compulsory! waste of time if your not interested or thinking of advancing in the scientific fields at university levels.

HSC

Honestly I think if a subject should be compulsory, it's maths. Improves your problem solving and perseverance (on the hard questions) whereas english is just testing your memory + how well you can bs according to the question.
    Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.

Solar Education - CHEAP Quality Tutoring

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 HSC (Accelerated): // 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //
    2017 HSC: // English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //
    Goal: 99.8+

HSC

yes please make maths compulsory
    2015 HSC
    Mathematics 2U
    2016 HSC
    Advanced English, Drama, Maths 3U, Maths 4U, Music 2, Extension Music, Chemistry, Software Design & Development
    Currently studying
    Advanced Mathematics (Hons)/Computer Science @ UNSW (2017– )

HSC

Does anyone know the reasoning for why they chose to make English compulsory instead of another subject?
    Mathematics Extension 2 - Physics - Chemistry - Economics - English Advanced

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by frog1944 View Post
    Does anyone know the reasoning for why they chose to make English compulsory instead of another subject?
    I think it's bc english is about expressing your ideas and evaluating useless texts as well as proposing arguments which (somehow) is supposed to benefit you in everyday society and tbh if they were going to do this they should make it more "logical" as opposed to basing it off novels, poems as well as useless Shakesperean texts

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cherryboi View Post
    I think they should introduce a system in which Math and English are compulsory in year 11 and you can pick from 4 other subjects to a total of 12 units (more if extension subjects are chosen). And then in year 12 you have an option to drop one of the compulsory subjects from math or english or you can keep both if you like.
    Do this and I'd have dropped English in Year 12. At the moment the only advantage of English that I can think of is that it makes you think and sort of might inspire creativity or creative thinking. Anyway at least I now never have to do the English subject again.
    Last edited by silverdawn565; 17 Nov 2017 at 12:39 PM.
    2017 HSC Courses

Standard English | Advanced Maths | Physics | Software Design and Development | Information Processes and Technology

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul" - Elder Uchtdorf

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxnuts View Post
    I think it's bc english is about expressing your ideas and evaluating useless texts as well as proposing arguments which (somehow) is supposed to benefit you in everyday society and tbh if they were going to do this they should make it more "logical" as opposed to basing it off novels, poems as well as useless Shakesperean texts
    Interestingly enough, this is equivalent to the argument used by students as to why maths subjects are worthless and should be non-compulsory early on.

Personally, I do think English should be compulsory, as understanding how something is communicated is actually quite important. Though the courses should be fixed so essays are take-home assignments, and not tests of how much you can memorise.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts II, USYD

Thread Information