Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tazhossain99
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By D94
  • 2 Post By D94

Thread: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    1

    Lightbulb Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Hi guys I did accelerated 2U and 3U maths in 2017 and got 98/100 and 48/50 respectively and will be doing 4U in 2018. I'm wondering if repeating 3U for a higher mark is worth it?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Cadet tazhossain99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Not worth it. Focus on smashing 4u
    Kolies likes this.
    ATAR Goal: 95ish
    ATAR Achieved: 97.65

    2017 HSC ~ Penrith High School
    English (Adv.) [83] ~ Mathematics Ext. 1 [99] ~ Mathematics Ext. 2 [92] ~ Physics [90] ~ Biology [93]


    2018-2023 ~ UNSW
    BE/ME [Electrical]

  3. #3
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,338
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolies View Post
    Hi guys I did accelerated 2U and 3U maths in 2017 and got 98/100 and 48/50 respectively and will be doing 4U in 2018. I'm wondering if repeating 3U for a higher mark is worth it?

    Thanks!
    Yeah repeat it since it's just a 96/100 (it scales to out of 100 when you do 4U and counts for 2 units) so if you do it again I'm sure you can get above 96!
    Kolies likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    I just did the first assessment task for 3U and got 100%, but i'm really prone to silly mistakes in exam conditions. In the 2017 paper i got around 7 marks off due to silly mistakes. I'm quite worried about that aspect and wouldn't 48/50 or 96/100 still scale the atar to 99.95?

  5. #5
    Member captainneuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolies View Post
    wouldn't 48/50 or 96/100 still scale the atar to 99.95?
    ye its up to you if you want to repeat it again but keep in mind 96 hsc mark and above in 3u scales to 99.95. So does 98 in 2u. So you're already safe and therefore should focus on equally smashing your other subs out.
    2017 HSC
    2018 Science (Neuro) at University of Sydney

  6. #6
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,418
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolies View Post
    I just did the first assessment task for 3U and got 100%, but i'm really prone to silly mistakes in exam conditions. In the 2017 paper i got around 7 marks off due to silly mistakes. I'm quite worried about that aspect and wouldn't 48/50 or 96/100 still scale the atar to 99.95?
    Remember it's your latest attempt that counts. You're already capping the scaled mark at 48/50 and it doesn't matter if it's 48/50 or 96/100 - your marks are scaled out of 50.

    The only reason why you might want to repeat is to achieve a state rank. Other than that, there is no tangible benefit. To be honest, once high school is over, not a single person would care about your state rank.

  7. #7
    D:< fluffchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    233
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolies View Post
    Hi guys I did accelerated 2U and 3U maths in 2017 and got 98/100 and 48/50 respectively and will be doing 4U in 2018. I'm wondering if repeating 3U for a higher mark is worth it?

    Thanks!
    Tbh if you are confident that you can get 97+ in the 3U HSC next year, repeating it is worth it
    HSC 2017
    Chemistry 89 - Physics 91 - English (Standard) 87 - Maths Ext 1 99 - Maths Ext 2 98
    98.7

  8. #8
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,418
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffchuck View Post
    Tbh if you are confident that you can get 97+ in the 3U HSC next year, repeating it is worth it
    Can you explain why it's worth it?

  9. #9
    Member captainneuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffchuck View Post
    Tbh if you are confident that you can get 97+ in the 3U HSC next year, repeating it is worth it
    Its not worth going through the same subject when he's already achieved high enough for an equivalent 99 atar if he smashes his other subs just as much. Repeating it again just to want to get a state rank will run him the risk of getting lower by stuffing up on the day? Imo its just a glory that does not last long
    Last edited by captainneuro; 17 Dec 2017 at 11:27 AM.
    2017 HSC
    2018 Science (Neuro) at University of Sydney

  10. #10
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,338
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabbabbby View Post
    ye its up to you if you want to repeat it again but keep in mind 96 hsc mark and above in 3u scales to 99.95. So does 98 in 2u. So you're already safe and therefore should focus on equally smashing your other subs out.
    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    Remember it's your latest attempt that counts. You're already capping the scaled mark at 48/50 and it doesn't matter if it's 48/50 or 96/100 - your marks are scaled out of 50.

    The only reason why you might want to repeat is to achieve a state rank. Other than that, there is no tangible benefit. To be honest, once high school is over, not a single person would care about your state rank.
    This year 48.5 scaled to 47.3 and 50 scaled to 49.5. Pretty big difference since he/she is hoping for 99.95.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    Member captainneuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    256
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    This year 48.5 scaled to 47.3 and 50 scaled to 49.5. Pretty big difference since he/she is hoping for 99.95.
    he could achieve 96 and above in rest of his subs (including and esp eng lol) and even just get only 90 in 3u. Still would most likely achieve 99.95 that year. Just smarter to focus on rest of his subs now since he's done well enough
    2017 HSC
    2018 Science (Neuro) at University of Sydney

  12. #12
    489
    489 is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    yeah best to focus on other subs

  13. #13
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,338
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by sabbabbby View Post
    he could achieve 96 and above in rest of his subs (including and esp eng lol) and even just get only 90 in 3u. Still would most likely achieve 99.95 that year. Just smarter to focus on rest of his subs now since he's done well enough
    I think the extra 2 for the aggregate is worth it and pretty much everyone who repeats gets a higher mark unless you never do another paper
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  14. #14
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,418
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    This year 48.5 scaled to 47.3 and 50 scaled to 49.5. Pretty big difference since he/she is hoping for 99.95.
    48.5 goes down to 47.3 but 47.3 is equivalent to an ATAR of around 99.70. So 48/50 is probably between 99.65 to 99.70 depending on the actual raw mark.

    I highly doubt MX1 will be the limiting factor. He needs to gain literally 1 to 1.5 raw marks to get a 99.95 equivalent mark, but runs of the risk of losing it all. Imagine repeating and getting a lower mark.

  15. #15
    D:< fluffchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    233
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    Can you explain why it's worth it?
    Because 97+ is better than 48/50. If OP can achieve 97+ without affecting his/her other subjects, then I'd say that it is worth it.
    HSC 2017
    Chemistry 89 - Physics 91 - English (Standard) 87 - Maths Ext 1 99 - Maths Ext 2 98
    98.7

  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Thanks for the feedback guys i'm just aiming for anything above 98 atar to be honest and english is literally bane of my existence not sure if i can get 90+.

  17. #17
    489
    489 is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolies View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys i'm just aiming for anything above 98 atar to be honest and english is literally bane of my existence not sure if i can get 90+.
    well if you don't re-do MX1 and focus on other subs especially english you can most probably get 90+ in it and an atar of 98+

  18. #18
    Junior Member trecex1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Worth re-doing MX1 again?

    I was in a similar situation a year ago, ultimately I decided to repeat 3U to try get 100 (against the advice of pretty much everyone I asked) and it worked out however...the extra 2 marks would’ve made no difference to my ATAR. I’d suggest you do whatever is comfortable for you - if you’re confident in yourself and think those extra marks are needed because you’re aiming for a high ATAR then repeat it. Remember you can quit the course any time before your final exams and keep your mark from this year.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •