Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Jakulore
  • 2 Post By Queenroot
  • 1 Post By Jakulore
  • 1 Post By Queenroot
  • 1 Post By i1337
  • 1 Post By i1337

Thread: What laptop should I get for uni?

  1. #1
    Cadet shumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tom Alegounaria's dungeon
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    2

    What laptop should I get for uni?

    Just wondering what laptops you guys use and if you have recommendations

    I can spend up to $1500 for one

    am studying science at unsw if that effects it (applications required?)

  2. #2
    Cadet shumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tom Alegounaria's dungeon
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    bump

  3. #3
    Member Jakulore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    352
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Mmm, there's no specific type I feel that you 'should' get for uni. I use a Mac, because it is very light, convenient, and has a very long battery life but it just depends on you. From what I have observed though, the majority of students use a Macbook of some form (Regular, Air or Pro). So yeah, my personal recommendation would be a Mac, but you may want an even more powerful system yourself, though since you are doing Science I imagine it should be fine.

    In terms of applications, you pretty much just require the standard Microsoft Office pack, and then if there are any specific programs related to your degree that you may need, your lecturer's/tutors should be able to provide you with access/allow you to get it
    baktiar77 likes this.
    HSC 2016

    English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 91

    2016 ATAR: 94.45 LAT: 97th percentile

    2017+:
    Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Media (PR & Advertising) at UNSW

  4. #4
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    9,711
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    What is your major for science?

    What else would you be wanting to use it for besides uni?
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace


    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

  5. #5
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,443
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Macbook if you are an arts student is mandatory

  6. #6
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,292
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    You probably don't need a laptop you can just use pen and paper or the computers at uni, but I'd say a mac as others have said. A mac air uses SSD as its storage so it loads up fast but it means it costs heaps to upgrade storage. Just get any decent computer that you like.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #7
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    I spent a week or two finding a cheap good laptop. Got a tablet laptop for cheap. It ended up breaking because its RAM was so low and I had to get it fixed 2-3 times.

    Then I spent a MONTH researching to find the absolute best laptop for a good price. This was DURING YEAR 12. Such a waste of time of holidays + school.
    Ended up deciding on a mac so I could have a laptop tension-free for the next few years. Best decision.

    Get a mac, seriously. It's fast, lightweight, convenient.

  8. #8
    Member Jakulore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    352
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    You probably don't need a laptop you can just use pen and paper or the computers at uni
    You may say that now, but wait until you get into the lectures and you are trying your best to get a good balance of the slide content and the mini-speech given by the lecturer down before they change the slide every 20 seconds.
    pikachu975 likes this.
    HSC 2016

    English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 91

    2016 ATAR: 94.45 LAT: 97th percentile

    2017+:
    Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Media (PR & Advertising) at UNSW

  9. #9
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,443
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakulore View Post
    You may say that now, but wait until you get into the lectures and you are trying your best to get a good balance of the slide content and the mini-speech given by the lecturer down before they change the slide every 20 seconds.
    U don't need to take notes from the slide tho? Well idk always had access to mine

  10. #10
    Member Jakulore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    352
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    U don't need to take notes from the slide tho? Well idk always had access to mine
    I take some of them so that I don't have to review as much later, and also, in some of my law classes we weren't allowed to access the slides, nor take pictures of them.
    HSC 2016

    English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 91

    2016 ATAR: 94.45 LAT: 97th percentile

    2017+:
    Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Media (PR & Advertising) at UNSW

  11. #11
    Cadet shumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tom Alegounaria's dungeon
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    What is your major for science?

    What else would you be wanting to use it for besides uni?
    major:sorta undecided but looking toward double with molecular and cellular bio and neuroscience

    What else? procrastination

  12. #12
    Cadet shumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tom Alegounaria's dungeon
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakulore View Post
    I take some of them so that I don't have to review as much later, and also, in some of my law classes we weren't allowed to access the slides, nor take pictures of them.
    why no takeing pics thats retarded

  13. #13
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,443
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by shumphrey View Post
    major:sorta undecided but looking toward double with molecular and cellular bio and neuroscience

    What else? procrastination
    ye okay you'll have access to all ur slides
    TBH u don't need notes they're pretty uselesss
    Just listen to the lectures

    Quote Originally Posted by shumphrey View Post
    why no takeing pics thats retarded
    copyright

  14. #14
    Cadet i1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Wouldn't reccommend macs unless you are reuqired to get one, simply because repairing them is *fucking expensive*. I sell them (including other laptops) and I always have to deal with pissed of broke students / customers complaining that they've gotta spend $900 to repair a mac because they dropped it and fucked some components inside.

    If you get *any* laptop with an SSD, an 6th gen i3 / quad core or above and 720p~ or above screen and 7~ hours tested battery life with atleast 4gb of ram...you'll be fine. Seriously. That's around $600ish these days?

    If you want to spend abit more, get something with a FHD screen (1080p), perhaps a larger SSD size and maybe an i7 with 8gb of ram. That would be plentyful. I'm running a 4GB ram laptop right now with a dual-core i3. It runs fast as hell simply because it has an SSD

    The most important thing is probably SSD. Not just for the speed, but they are significantly more durable/robust than traditional hard-drives. Data is important

    Also avoid laptops with a non-ingragted graphics card unless you want to play games. They make the laptop abit heavier/pricier.

    I guess if you want to search some stuff up, search these keywords: Surface pro, Lenovo yoga, ThinkPad, Lenovo MIIX, Dell XPS, Inspiron, Toshiba Satellite series

    use www.staticice.com.au to find the best prices

    Browse ozbargain for good deals under the laptop sections

    PM me if you need any advice (goes out to anyone)
    Last edited by i1337; 5 Jan 2018 at 1:57 AM.
    baktiar77 likes this.

  15. #15
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,292
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by i1337 View Post
    Wouldn't reccommend macs unless you are reuqired to get one, simply because repairing them is *fucking expensive*. I sell them (including other laptops) and I always have to deal with pissed of broke students / customers complaining that they've gotta spend $900 to repair a mac because they dropped it and fucked some components inside.

    If you get *any* laptop with an SSD, an 6th gen i3 / quad core or above and 720p~ or above screen and 7~ hours tested battery life with atleast 4gb of ram...you'll be fine. Seriously. That's around $600ish these days?

    If you want to spend abit more, get something with a FHD screen (1080p), perhaps a larger SSD size and maybe an i7 with 8gb of ram. That would be plentyful. I'm running a 4GB ram laptop right now with a dual-core i3. It runs fast as hell simply because it has an SSD

    The most important thing is probably SSD. Not just for the speed, but they are significantly more durable/robust than traditional hard-drives. Data is important

    Also avoid laptops with a non-ingragted graphics card unless you want to play games. They make the laptop abit heavier/pricier.

    I guess if you want to search some stuff up, search these keywords: Surface pro, Lenovo yoga, ThinkPad, Lenovo MIIX, Dell XPS, Inspiron, Toshiba Satellite series

    use www.staticice.com.au to find the best prices

    Browse ozbargain for good deals under the laptop sections

    PM me if you need any advice (goes out to anyone)
    Will the i3/low RAM ones run stuff like MATLAB or modelling programs efficiently though? Thanks!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  16. #16
    Cadet i1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Will the i3/low RAM ones run stuff like MATLAB or modelling programs efficiently though? Thanks!
    Full disclosure haven't used MATLAB but have friends in engo.

    I see no reason why a 6th gen i3 processor would struggle to reasonably handle uni stuff in MATLAB provided its a decent higher-end i3 (some i3's are faster than i5's).

    In terms of RAM, this will vary alot on what you do with it and what else you have running on the background. Again, I'd wager that 4gb would be enough for uni-level stuff but 6gb+ would be ideal just incase you have some background running stuff.

    I don't think the complexity of anything you do at uni in engineering for Matlab is going to be too awfully intensive.

    If you want to get a computer to handle stuff for 3d modeling smoothly/matlab, then something like:

    8GB ram

    i5

    SSD

    would be ideal. If you were on a budget, you could get away with 8gb ram, i3, HDD but you might experience abit of slowing down if you are doing something intensive

    edit: just found these links

    http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15...15-3565-laptop

    and

    http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15...?ref=PD_Family

    Those prices are really good, would buy if I personally needed them

    edit #2 ok the above sale was gone literally a few hours after I posted, lol
    Last edited by i1337; 5 Jan 2018 at 10:50 AM.
    pikachu975 likes this.

  17. #17
    (╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney Girls
    Posts
    6,666
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    macbook to flex on the other kiddos and impress the ladies

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm



  18. #18
    Cadet shumphrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tom Alegounaria's dungeon
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by i1337 View Post
    Full disclosure haven't used MATLAB but have friends in engo.

    I see no reason why a 6th gen i3 processor would struggle to reasonably handle uni stuff in MATLAB provided its a decent higher-end i3 (some i3's are faster than i5's).

    In terms of RAM, this will vary alot on what you do with it and what else you have running on the background. Again, I'd wager that 4gb would be enough for uni-level stuff but 6gb+ would be ideal just incase you have some background running stuff.

    I don't think the complexity of anything you do at uni in engineering for Matlab is going to be too awfully intensive.

    If you want to get a computer to handle stuff for 3d modeling smoothly/matlab, then something like:

    8GB ram

    i5

    SSD

    would be ideal. If you were on a budget, you could get away with 8gb ram, i3, HDD but you might experience abit of slowing down if you are doing something intensive

    edit: just found these links

    http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15...15-3565-laptop

    and

    http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-15...?ref=PD_Family

    Those prices are really good, would buy if I personally needed them

    edit #2 ok the above sale was gone literally a few hours after I posted, lol
    i dont know about dell man, have a dell latitude and it seems rigged to break around when warranty expires, right now it is slow and continually faltering.

  19. #19
    Cadet i1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by shumphrey View Post
    i dont know about dell man, have a dell latitude and it seems rigged to break around when warranty expires, right now it is slow and continually faltering.
    That's no good at all! If the warranty period expires (i.e. 12months usually) you are still entitled for warranty under your ACL. In fact, I've heard of people getting repairs and warranty claimed free years after the warranty period ended. For more info search up ACL Consumer Rights.

  20. #20
    Exalted Member BlueGas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by i1337 View Post
    That's no good at all! If the warranty period expires (i.e. 12months usually) you are still entitled for warranty under your ACL. In fact, I've heard of people getting repairs and warranty claimed free years after the warranty period ended. For more info search up ACL Consumer Rights.
    Yeah but how do you say that to customer service? Do you just say under ACL consumer rights I am entitled to have my laptop repaired even after it's warranty has expired?

  21. #21
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    Yeah but how do you say that to customer service? Do you just say under ACL consumer rights I am entitled to have my laptop repaired even after it's warranty has expired?
    The manufacturer warranties and the Australian Consumer Law consumer guarantees are separate. The warranty may only cover one or two years, but the guarantee should extend beyond if there is a genuine problem: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...ees/warranties

  22. #22
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Should I even bother with getting a computer/laptop? Could I just use the library's computers if I need?

  23. #23
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,443
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    Quote Originally Posted by mantequilla View Post
    Should I even bother with getting a computer/laptop? Could I just use the library's computers if I need?
    yep and computers from the building of ur faculty as well

  24. #24
    (╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney Girls
    Posts
    6,666
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    get the laptop that can mine you the most bitcoin @squareroot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm



  25. #25
    New Member faolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: What laptop should I get for uni?

    I study BSc and use a surface pro 4 - it allows me to annotate my lecture notes (since you can write on it) as well as do everything else a laptop can do. Everything is then in one place and I'm not losing shit. Also it doesn't take up very much space in my bag.

    “The only problem with seeing too much is that it makes you insane.”
    - Phaedrus

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •