Thread: Laptop in HSC exam???

HSC

Laptop in HSC exam???

A couple of months out and I'm starting to seriously freak out about the HSC because everyone seems to think HSC exam provisions (specifically a laptop) are impossible to get.

I've got something wrong with my right forearm, to the point anything involving moving it for more than a few minutes causes me agony. I can write for like ten minutes before I'm literally crying. I've seen multiple doctors, including one for ~7 years, with no improvement. I could almost definitely get a scribe, but I also have really bad anxiety to the point it wouldn't work - I actually dropped out of school for a year because of it. I've seen someone for this too and I guess I assumed together it'd be enough but heaps of my doctors have said theres no chance BOSTES or whoever will give a computer because they never do? And so many people have generic hand problems that they'll probably think I'm playing the (very long) long-con.

My school's special ed. department have promised they'll chase it for me, but I'm starting to think it's a losing battle. I'm already screwed for english, if i have to hand write it I may as well just drop out...

Has anyone here got to use a computer for HSC or know someone who has?

HSC

Re: Laptop in HSC exam???

Quote Originally Posted by constantquandary View Post
    A couple of months out and I'm starting to seriously freak out about the HSC because everyone seems to think HSC exam provisions (specifically a laptop) are impossible to get.

I've got something wrong with my right forearm, to the point anything involving moving it for more than a few minutes causes me agony. I can write for like ten minutes before I'm literally crying. I've seen multiple doctors, including one for ~7 years, with no improvement. I could almost definitely get a scribe, but I also have really bad anxiety to the point it wouldn't work - I actually dropped out of school for a year because of it. I've seen someone for this too and I guess I assumed together it'd be enough but heaps of my doctors have said theres no chance BOSTES or whoever will give a computer because they never do? And so many people have generic hand problems that they'll probably think I'm playing the (very long) long-con.

My school's special ed. department have promised they'll chase it for me, but I'm starting to think it's a losing battle. I'm already screwed for english, if i have to hand write it I may as well just drop out...

Has anyone here got to use a computer for HSC or know someone who has?
    legitimate question: why does anxiety not allow you to have a scribe? I had a friend who had bad anxiety and a problem in her shoulder, who had to use a scribe (+ breaks in between). I've never known someone who was allowed to use a laptop.
    Prelim 2017
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Physics ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)
    HSC 2017
    Mathematics (98)
    HSC 2018
    Advanced English ~ Mathematics Extension 1 ~ Mathematics Extension 2 ~ Music 2 ~ Legal Studies ~ Financial Services (AA)

HSC
    Uni Grad

I know of a private school in victoria, where they had a special laptop with no access to internet, and no programs installed, for the VCE. But that is a separate jurisdiction.

Would it worth contacting NESA (replaces BOSTES) directly and asking directly about it?

have they been able to diagnose properly your condition?
    what is the state of your left arm?
    2014 HSC
    2015 Gap Year
    2016-2018 UOW Bachelor of Maths/Maths Advanced.

Links:
    View English Notes (no download). Purchase a downloadable/printable copy on SELLFY here + Year 10 notes
    Maths Notes - Free Sample
    Chemistry Notes Sample + Buy (soon)

thsconline: https://thsconline.github.io/s/ (2017 papers uploaded)

HSC

If you have a legitimate reason to get provisions then I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed
    HSC 2018

[/SIZE]
    Advanced English - Extension 1 Maths - Chemistry - Earth & Environmental Science - Geography
    [/SIZE]

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

It is extremely rare to be allowed the provision of a laptop in the HSC but it is possible to get one.

If you are seeing a psychologist for your anxiety then she/he may be required to provide evidence (such as a written letter) on why you are unable to utilise a scribe as a provision rather then a laptop.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

You may also need to complete a assessment by an OT as well to provide the required evidence stating that you are unable to write for a specified time frame.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

Thread Information