Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

  1. #1
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    1

    Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Why? Just Why?
    Mathematics is just logic.
    As far as you don't do 4U, it stays as logic.
    And yet 99% of Australia is trash at maths.
    I mean, what is so hard about it?
    I am almost about to lose hope in humanity because of this.
    I mean, most Asian countries mandate the equivalent of 2U Maths in High School.
    You cannot graduate high school without doing calculus in these countries.
    In here though, you can graduate without doing maths in Year 11 and 12, and even go to university!
    Literally 60% of Australians never learn Calculus.
    Only 2% of Japanese people don't do Calculus in high school, and these are the dropouts.
    Probably the same for China and Korea.
    WTF is wrong with Australians, Americans, Brits etc.

  2. #2
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,745
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    Why? Just Why?
    Mathematics is just logic.
    As far as you don't do 4U, it stays as logic.
    And yet 99% of Australia is trash at maths.
    I mean, what is so hard about it?
    I am almost about to lose hope in humanity because of this.
    I mean, most Asian countries mandate the equivalent of 2U Maths in High School.
    You cannot graduate high school without doing calculus in these countries.
    In here though, you can graduate without doing maths in Year 11 and 12, and even go to university!
    Literally 60% of Australians never learn Calculus.
    Only 2% of Japanese people don't do Calculus in high school, and these are the dropouts.
    Probably the same for China and Korea.
    WTF is wrong with Australians, Americans, Brits etc.
    I like this. I'm waiting for the response!
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  3. #3
    Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    You seem quite condescending here, I think you should question Eddie Woo on this as he has the power to change maths in Australia

    Also I hope u do understand that there are factors that affect one's educational performance hence I think it's quite rude of you to assume Australia is trash at maths

    Yes Australia is behind the rest of the world in Maths but surely one day there will be a resolution to this problem when educators understand the lives behind many students

  4. #4
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2021
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    Why? Just Why?
    Mathematics is just logic.
    As far as you don't do 4U, it stays as logic.
    And yet 99% of Australia is trash at maths.
    I mean, what is so hard about it?
    I am almost about to lose hope in humanity because of this.
    I mean, most Asian countries mandate the equivalent of 2U Maths in High School.
    You cannot graduate high school without doing calculus in these countries.
    In here though, you can graduate without doing maths in Year 11 and 12, and even go to university!
    Literally 60% of Australians never learn Calculus.
    Only 2% of Japanese people don't do Calculus in high school, and these are the dropouts.
    Probably the same for China and Korea.
    WTF is wrong with Australians, Americans, Brits etc.
    I agree, but I think its simply because maths is harder and for most people takes more work. For me, at least, as someone who is reasonably capable at maths, I still spent a huge portion of my study time doing it in order for the results to match my humanities subjects which required FAR LESS work.

    Also - I think the problem isn't that Australians are stupid, its the teaching. Most people are simply taught to apply formulas for specific questions instead of applying logic and understanding which allows you to access high marks.
    Last edited by phat_tar; 1 Feb 2018 at 10:29 AM.
    studygirl118 likes this.
    HSC 2017 - 99.85 Business Studies (97) Modern History (96) SORII (96) English Advanced (95) Economics (94) Mathematics Extension I (47) Mathematics (94)

  5. #5
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Clearly the solution ain't here yet.

  6. #6
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,813
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Then why are you bad at English? We're in Australia
    studygirl118 likes this.

  7. #7
    D:< fluffchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Many people don't do well in maths, mainly because they don't enjoy maths. If you don't enjoy something, you won't be willing to put in effort to do well in it.
    1729 likes this.
    HSC 2017
    Chemistry 89 - Physics 91 - English (Standard) 87 - Maths Ext 1 99 - Maths Ext 2 98
    98.7

  8. #8
    Cadet ShootingDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffchuck View Post
    Many people don't do well in maths, mainly because they don't enjoy maths. If you don't enjoy something, you won't be willing to put in effort to do well in it.
    ^This

    There's also the fact that maths is quite overwhelming to a lot of people so they don't try their best to understand it and give up pretty quickly. Maths is also taught poorly in primary school so that doesn't help either.
    studygirl118 likes this.

  9. #9
    617 pages fan96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    What's wrong with the way maths is taught in primary school?

  10. #10
    Cadet ShootingDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by fan96 View Post
    What's wrong with the way maths is taught in primary school?
    Might only be an issue with primary schools in western sydney, but looking at my step sister's school work and talking to her about school, they don't cater to a kid's individual needs, which causes them to be left behind and they dont understand the concept at all. I understand that they have a whole class to teach but I think its the teacher's responsibility to ensure no one is left behind as its important to understand the fundamentals. The methods that they taught my sister in maths is very tedious and not intuitive at all.

    Another underlying issue is that maths is generally not interesting to kids. I don't have the solution but teachers need to find a way to make maths fun and appealing to kids so that they're willing to give maths a go. If kids take an interest in maths at a younger age, they'd be more willing to try their best in later years rather than dropping maths as soon as possible.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    Why? Just Why?
    Mathematics is just logic.
    As far as you don't do 4U, it stays as logic.
    And yet 99% of Australia is trash at maths.
    I mean, what is so hard about it?
    I am almost about to lose hope in humanity because of this.
    I mean, most Asian countries mandate the equivalent of 2U Maths in High School.
    You cannot graduate high school without doing calculus in these countries.
    In here though, you can graduate without doing maths in Year 11 and 12, and even go to university!
    Literally 60% of Australians never learn Calculus.
    Only 2% of Japanese people don't do Calculus in high school, and these are the dropouts.
    Probably the same for China and Korea.
    WTF is wrong with Australians, Americans, Brits etc.
    It comes down to incentives. Students in Asian countries do well in high school maths because they are incentivised to study the shit out of it, not because maths is logical, interesting, useful or anything, but because they need to do well in it to achieve something else completely unrelated.

    In that sense, isn't the system here better? Calculus here is mostly studied by students who are more likely to use it or be interested in it, as opposed to having 100% of students knowing how to do calculus but with >60% of the students studying it wastefully for no good reason.

    As much as I love maths, it's too much to expect even 20% of calculus students will ever really use it. Let people do whatever they want.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

  12. #12
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Do you realise that there is a freaking STEM crisis?

  13. #13
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    Then why are you bad at English? We're in Australia
    F*** up! I can speak the language but screw the complex literature s***!
    English becomes a very complex subject by the time you get to Year 9, ok?
    My essay skills are not that bad. It is the literature s*** that I hate.
    I got 19/20 on a History Essay, ok?
    Look, I have Aspergers, so emotionally connecting with texts are FREAKING HARD FOR ME!

  14. #14
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,745
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Stay on topic, guys (& dolls).
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  15. #15
    Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    F*** up! I can speak the language but screw the complex literature s***!
    English becomes a very complex subject by the time you get to Year 9, ok?
    My essay skills are not that bad. It is the literature s*** that I hate.
    I got 19/20 on a History Essay, ok?
    Look, I have Aspergers, so emotionally connecting with texts are FREAKING HARD FOR ME!
    Just bc you can speak english doesnt neccessarily mean that you are good at english (not saying that you are bad at english although I have seen u make a thread about why is english compulsory or something)

    History essays don't really have anything to do with english essays (although there is a bit of history in english here and there). Also just because you do well in a history essay doesnt mean you'll do good in an english essay

    And I don't think there is a need to "emotionally connect" with texts in english, tbh i dont even remember (that well) but from memory you wouldnt need to do that, if u did need assistance with that Im sure your school would arrange a special needs helper or something to help u out with that

  16. #16
    Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    Do you realise that there is a freaking STEM crisis?
    Well yes but I'm sure the govt is working to work on that to improve educational standards in Aus

  17. #17
    Cadet KingTings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Some people enjoy maths and are bothered to put in the time and effort to learn concepts they have never seen before. And some people despise maths and aren't bothered to constantly think and remember rules and concepts. It depends on whether or not you actually like the subject other wise it will be a pain to learn.
    Also, in math, there is always a definitive answer. This means that there is no where to place your own input and apply your ideologies. Where as in humanities you not only learn about topics but you RESPOND and find solutions.
    Last edited by KingTings; 3 Feb 2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Prelim 2018 - HSC 2019
    - English Advanced - Advanced Maths - Physics - Economics - Business Studies -
    ATAR Aim: 96.5+
    Desired Course: B.Commerce (Finance) @ UNSW

  18. #18
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    Do you realise that there is a freaking STEM crisis?
    that sounds like an irrelevant justification for your poorly thought out opinion more than anything else

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

  19. #19
    Senior Member integral95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    729
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    F*** up! I can speak the language but screw the complex literature s***!
    English becomes a very complex subject by the time you get to Year 9, ok?
    My essay skills are not that bad. It is the literature s*** that I hate.
    I got 19/20 on a History Essay, ok?
    Look, I have Aspergers, so emotionally connecting with texts are FREAKING HARD FOR ME!
    For future reference, please refrain from swearing when you're making a point, it really does reduce its credibility and therefore fewer people would take you seriously.

    As you've said, english to you is extremely difficult for you to grasp (this applies to a lot of people), just like how maths would be really complex for many others.(reasons said above)

    As mentioned above, calculus isn't really going to be used in everyday life, it really depends on the career you're pursuing.

    English in hindsight teaches you to properly formulate your argument in a cohesive manner and basically grab more people's attention, this would apply for the majority of the careers since the ability to communicate is a must.

    Don't get me wrong I didn't enjoy english either, but it's actually really useful to some degree.
    4025808 and studygirl118 like this.
    “Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.”
    ― Brandon Mull

  20. #20
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,478
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    F*** up! I can speak the language but screw the complex literature s***!
    English becomes a very complex subject by the time you get to Year 9, ok?
    My essay skills are not that bad. It is the literature s*** that I hate.
    I got 19/20 on a History Essay, ok?
    Look, I have Aspergers, so emotionally connecting with texts are FREAKING HARD FOR ME!
    that censoring tho

  21. #21
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    I obviously don't have on the ground knowledge for what I'm about to say here but I think its logical.

    There is more of a culture in western societies that you should do the stuff you love because like many have said before, you're going to do better in them. Also, even though calculus/2U course are mandated in Japan, how many...
    a) genuinely enjoyed maths
    b) used it after high school/uni
    c) wouldn't have done maths if given the choice
    d) didn't understand the topic(s)

    So although 98% of the population did calculus, if you add the factors above, how many people really benefited from it? I think the percentage would be around the same as Australia.
    HSC 2019
    Advanced English, Ext. 1 Maths, Economics, Geography, Biology & SOR1
    Mongol Rally 2020

  22. #22
    Junior Member spaghettii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Under the cork tree
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Just because you are good at maths doesn't mean everyone else has to be.
    I mean yeah basic math is important and its kinda sad to see people struggle to add basic shit up but that doesn't mean everyone has to learn calculus all of a sudden.
    Just like many people have already said, calculus is rarely used in everyday life.
    Regarding your point about people graduating high school and going on to uni without maths, what if their degree doesn't require maths? What if they want to be an english/history/art teacher or a councillor, etc? Should they all of a sudden have to learn a new subject that's completely irrelevant to what they want to do?
    Advanced English, 2U Math, Legal Studies, Society and Culture, Visual Arts

  23. #23
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Math -> Logic
    Logic -> Legitimate Humanity
    Although I am a Far Left and I accept people for who they are, this case is pretty serious. Humans these days definitely lack logical skills. I think people should be better at maths.

    Also for English, I simply fear of not being able to write the correct answer. Also, the abstract bis of English seems to be useless... I also want an explanation for why we do this. Like I said, I am fine with essays itself, and it entirely depends on the topic I am writing about.
    Last edited by Leon_V3; 3 Feb 2018 at 3:53 PM.

  24. #24
    Member Frostguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    295
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    I mean to be honest I'd rather be good at English than maths because what do you use to speak to other people? English.
    Rarely would you ever get the chance or opportunity to speak to someone mathematically except when obviously discussing the subject or anything Maths related... People are bad at maths because they're disinterested in it, find no purpose in studying it or genuinely can't understand the concepts involved in maths especially if it won't benefit them in the future.
    English will be universal and everywhere (with the exception of analysing Shakespeare and all that sorta of stuff). Maths is a good skill to have, but dissing other people simply because they do not possess mathematical ability isn't a good thing buddy
    studygirl118 likes this.
    I spend too much time on this website

    HSC 2018!!

    English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

  25. #25
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is everyone so trash at maths?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    Math -> Logic
    Logic -> Legitimate Humanity
    Although I am a Far Left and I accept people for who they are, this case is pretty serious. Humans these days definitely lack logical skills. I think people should be better at maths.

    Also for English, I simply fear of not being able to write the correct answer. Also, the abstract bis of English seems to be useless... I also want an explanation for why we do this. Like I said, I am fine with essays itself, and it entirely depends on the topic I am writing about.
    There isn't truly a correlation between logic and maths, and based off your argument earlier on, I don't really think being able to do/understand calculus has anything to do with every-day logic.

    Personally, I see where you're going but I think English/humanity-based subjects also require students to use logic to a certain degree - you can't produce cohesive essays or even paragraphs if you don't understand the texts/laws/information provided.

    I'm not trying to twist your words but 'humans lack logical skills, people should be better at maths,' those are strong words and although you do have a point about our country being weak at maths, I think the approach you're taking to express this problem is just a bit ... wrong.
    Last edited by Jolteon; 3 Feb 2018 at 6:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •