Thread: Self learning calculus

HSC

Question Self learning calculus

For my HSC i chose General mathematics 2, but i wanna self learn the basics and application of calculus. Is there any good videos or online courses i can do? and is it feasible to lean calculus at my level of knowledge of math?
    Last edited by Cujo10; 9 Feb 2018 at 6:23 PM.
    Compressed HSC for year 11 & 12

1st year (11): | Physics | Software Design and Development | General Mathematics 2 |
    2nd year (12): | Standard English | Studies of Religion 1 | Work Studies | Industrial Technology - Electronics |

ATAR aim: 80+
    Degree aim: Associate Degree of Engineering (Electrical and Electronic)
    Dream company: | Intel | Nvidia | AMD | ARM |

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Self learning calculus

#eddiewoo

Probably most unoriginal response to this question but yeah, he's good at teaching math and makes videos on YouTube. I watch his videos when I don't understand my teacher and from 2U all the way to 4U content, I even think he has videos on general too.

HSC

khan academy does an excellent job
    Chemistry (89) - Physics (91) - English (Standard) (87) - Maths Ext 1 (99) - Maths Ext 2 (98)
    ATAR - 98.70

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Both of the above are excellent.
    EddieWoo if you want the feel/vibe of a classroom. Note that this comes with the banter and friendly exchanges with students, meaning it's not condensed knowledge. You'll end up spending more time watching videos, but it might be more interesting and in simpler english.

Khan's academy is just excellent, and you get to use a website which has been made for millions of dollars. Auto marking, structured lessons, etc.

There are other resources too. USyd has a bridging course set of videos which are kinda dense and to the point: http://sydney.edu.au/stuserv/maths_l...re/2unit.shtml

You can also look at a plethora of international universities who have recorded their lectures and put them up online:
    https://online.math.uh.edu/HoustonACT/videocalculus/
    Note that this can be very jargon intensive, and you may be intimidated by the hard words they use etc.

One last thing that you may find helpful: http://www.calculus-help.com/

Lastly, make sure you don't sacrifice too much of your study time learning something which won't be examined in your hsc! You can always learn calculus after completing your HSC too :-)

Thread Information