Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Drongoski
  • 2 Post By 1729
  • 1 Post By fan96
  • 2 Post By doggossigh
  • 2 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By Jolteon
  • 2 Post By millennialpink

Thread: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

  1. #1
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,704
    Rep Power
    9

    Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Just saw a report in a local paper headlined: "Claims rich rule selective school", in this particular case referring To James Ruse. I have read many reports over the years that claim that the selective schools favour the rich and many want to do away with selective schools altogether or at least modify their selection criteria, e.g. to opening up to local enrolments or providing more opportunities to locals. Current NSW Education Minister is apparently averse to selective schools.

    Many of you on Bored attend selective schools. From what you know of your school mates and yourselves, are your parents rich or can they be described as such? From what I am able to observe, most of them are not. Maybe most reports conclude they are rich because they have a higher socio-economic background. But this view is very incorrect and unfair. It is probably true that most of the students, e.g. from China, Taiwan and Korea, are university graduates, many with advanced degrees. But because their qualifications are not recognised and/or because the have English language handicap, most are unable to find jobs in their areas of qualification. So as Miss Yan Zhai of North Sydney Girls, in her brave and excellent opinion piece in the Sydney Morning Herald pointed out recently, most tertiary-qualified parents end up doing blue collar jobs and can hardly be described as rich. I myself suspect that selective school students do not come from rich families. If this is indeed the case, then you should all debunk this myth.

    Let us have your input.
    Last edited by Drongoski; 26 Apr 2018 at 3:19 PM.
    1729 likes this.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  2. #2
    Junior Member 1729's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    166
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Quote Originally Posted by Drongoski View Post
    Just saw a report in a local paper headlined: "Claims rich rule selective school", in this particular case referring To James Ruse. I have read many reports over the years that claim that the selective schools favour the rich and many want to do away with selective schools altogether or at least modify their selection criteria, e.g. to opening up to local enrolments or providing more opportunities to locals. Current NSW Education Minister is apparently averse to selective schools.

    Many of you on Bored attend selective schools. From what you know of your school mates and yourselves, are your parents rich or can they be described as such? From what I am able to observe, most of them are not. Maybe most reports conclude they are rich because they have a higher socio-economic background. But this view is very incorrect and unfair. It is probably true that most of the students, e.g. from China, Taiwan and Korea, are university graduates, many with advanced degrees. But because their qualifications are not recognised and/or because the have English language handicap, most are unable to find jobs in their areas of qualification. So as Miss Yan Zhai of North Sydney Girls, in her brave and excellent opinion piece in the Sydney Morning Herald pointed out recently, most tertiary-qualified parents end up doing blue collar jobs and can hardly be described as rich. I myself suspect that selective school students do not come from rich families. If this is indeed the case, then you should all debunk this myth.

    Let us have your input.
    506814 tutors (each subject)
    whenisnow and brbstudying like this.

  3. #3
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,704
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Quote Originally Posted by 1729 View Post
    506814 tutors (each subject)
    Correct.

    But did you attend a selective school? If so, would you regard your family as rich?
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  4. #4
    Junior Member 30june2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2021
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    オーストラリア
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    As a former top selective school student, I can confirm that a lot of us were NOT from well-off backgrounds - our families used the money they had to send us to tutoring and found other ways to save money somehow. Most families had migrated to Australia with not much money in the hopes of giving their children a 'good' future.

    OR, some had families that worked very hard and laborious long hours to be able to send their kids to tutoring without worrying too much about their financial situation (this was the case of my family)

    Like, tutoring is viewed as a 'priority' bc it supposedly helps kids with their future, meaning it's a worthwhile investment in the eyes of most parents

    Also, I'm very proud of Yan Zhai and her article on SMH - I agree with the topics she raised.
    Last edited by 30june2016; 29 Apr 2018 at 4:48 PM.



    UTS BIT 2018




  5. #5
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,704
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Quote Originally Posted by 30june2016 View Post
    As a former top selective school student, I can confirm that a lot of us were NOT from well-off backgrounds - our families used the money they had to send us to tutoring and found other ways to save money somehow. Most families had migrated to Australia with not much money in the hopes of giving their children a 'good' future.

    OR, some had families that worked very hard and laborious long hours to be able to send their kids to tutoring without worrying too much about their financial situation (this was the case of my family)

    Like, tutoring is viewed as a 'priority' bc it supposedly helps kids with their future, meaning it's a worthwhile investment in the eyes of most parents

    Also, I'm very proud of Yan Zhai and her article on SMH - I agree with the topics she raised.
    I hope someone like you should tell your story to help debunk this nonsense being presented to the public unchallenged. Whatever the merit of the selective school system, recent agitation to dismantle or to change the character of selective schools in an assault of those of you who have worked hard, and whose parents have sacrificed so much for their children's future, is based on a lot of falsehood. I hope many of you, ex students of Ruse, Baulko, North Sydney Boys, North Sydney Girls, Sydney Boy, Sydney Girls etc etc, should speak out and tell the truth.

    I don't know where they get this idea that Ruse (and by extension other selective schools) parents are rich. Of cause a few of them may happen to be rich. I happen to know of many Chinese migrant parents who have low-paid jobs and are prepared to sacrifice so much for their children.
    Last edited by Drongoski; 29 Apr 2018 at 7:00 PM.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  6. #6
    617 pages fan96's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    222
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Quote Originally Posted by Drongoski View Post
    Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??
    From what I can see, the answer is no.

    I go to a top 5 selective school and I've never been under the impression that most, or even many people have rich parents. I can definitely name a few people who have a reputation for $$$ but I think most of us can be described as "well-off, but not rich".

    Many people bring old (4+ years) or low spec phones/laptops to school, suggesting that their families may not be able to afford the latest tech.

    There aren't many people who live in areas like Inner Sydney, North Shore or the Eastern Suburbs ("rich" areas). Most are probably from suburbs in or around Hurstville, Epping, Bankstown, Strathfield etc.

    There is a really heavy tutoring culture here for the senior years, though that's no surprise for a school like this, but it's only widespread in Maths (and to some extent Chemistry/Physics) and I doubt only a rich family could pay the fees.
    Drongoski likes this.
    HSC 2018 - [English Adv.] • [Maths Ext. 1] • [Maths Ext. 2] • [Chemistry] • [Software Design and Development]

    1(3√3) t2 dt cos(3π/9) = log(3√e) | Integral t2 dt, From 1 to the cube root of 3. Times the cosine, of three pi over nine, Equals log of the cube root of e.

  7. #7
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Kind of. I go to a top 5 selective school and a lot of the people there are richer than the average person/family, but definitely not to the extent that we are pouring out money. It is definitely NOT comparable to a private school. There is also an equal amount of people who aren't as wealthy, with a low household income. Moving from my top 30 school to the top 5 school, I did see a slight difference but it's definitely not as much as 'rich' and 'wealthy' that they are throwing money to tutors. Most of us are earning just enough to cover everything, and scraping money just to pay for tutoring.
    Drongoski and andrew12678 like this.
    3U Eng | Chem | Bio | Physics | Adv Math | Modern History

    98+ Atar Goal

  8. #8
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,273
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Basically what us catholic/private school people pay for school fees, the selective school people use for tutoring which I guess balances out so they're not all rich it's pretty much the same.
    Drongoski and 30june2016 like this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  9. #9
    Junior Member HoldingOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Utopia Planitia
    Posts
    178
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    Basically what us catholic/private school people pay for school fees, the selective school people use for tutoring which I guess balances out so they're not all rich it's pretty much the same.
    Is tutoring really that expensive?

  10. #10
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,273
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    Is tutoring really that expensive?
    Probs more expensive depending on where you go... and most selective kids go to like matrix/du/zhangs etc which are like 1k a semester per subject
    HoldingOn likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Quote Originally Posted by doggossigh View Post
    Kind of. I go to a top 5 selective school and a lot of the people there are richer than the average person/family, but definitely not to the extent that we are pouring out money. It is definitely NOT comparable to a private school. There is also an equal amount of people who aren't as wealthy, with a low household income. Moving from my top 30 school to the top 5 school, I did see a slight difference but it's definitely not as much as 'rich' and 'wealthy' that they are throwing money to tutors. Most of us are earning just enough to cover everything, and scraping money just to pay for tutoring.
    Seconding this post
    Baulkham Hills '16

    English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

    ATAR: 99.95

  12. #12
    Executive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    1,753
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    I think the intention of the accuser was misinterpreted. Not that selective school ppl are rich, but overall, they stand at a higher socio-economic status than those not in selective schools. An analogy is that people from the north shore or inner west are richer than the west. Statistically proven, but it's not illustrating that everyone who lives in north shore is rich.

    So I guess the main point of question to take into consideration is whether or not selective schools are having an overall advantage over non selective schools based on several factors that made them 'into the schools', and maybe continue their excellent results.

    I'd say that there is a factor of competitiveness and drive that is inherent in the students at selective schools, maybe it comes from societal or parental pressures, more so the parents put more pressure on the kids. Hence there is a greater emphasis on tutoring, money spent on education. Now, is that fair that money spent on education is unjust towards other students? I guess not, because then private schools should be abolished first before addressing the selective schools issue. Tutoring isn't bad, but what are the intentions behind it?

    An overemphasis on competitiveness and separation of schools only based on school merit and not other activities such as extracurricular and sport unlike the US system. The intention of the accuser was to address the underlying problem of the societal pressures on students (especially parents and culture) which has created such an inequality between the kids.

    But tbh it's not that bad compared to Asian countries

  13. #13
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    I go to a mid-range selective school where kids usually have around 2 tutors (English and Maths) but you wouldn't call them rich. Just well-off - and even the kids who have 3-4 tutors (Sciences/4u maths etc) still wouldn't regard themselves as rich - just well-off.

    But the kids who do go tutoring do study hard and give up their own time to attend lessons.
    Drongoski likes this.

  14. #14
    Kosovo is Serbian RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    na its just the poor, white aussie kids dont value education /thread



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Chiming in from a James Ruse student's perspective.

    There's a huge range, from kids who are not well off at all (meaning cramped apartments, parents working blue-collar jobs, hardly even enough rooms let alone one especially for study, etc.) to the very wealthy (we're talking millionaires, parents are rich lawyers or doctors or businessmen or whatever). I know people in my grade who are both of these, and of course the kids in between. I come from a comfortably middle-class family, not insanely rich but definitely have more than enough to live very well.

    I do believe that the idea that selective school kids' parents are always well off is very damaging. You cannot categorise top selective schools as a place where the rich send their kids - that would be private school. There are a lot of kids at my school who are naturally smart, and although 90% go tutoring, some of them have parents who could not afford that kind of luxury. They study themselves, and they still do extremely well.

    You guys may not believe me, but I do not go tutoring *gasp* except for maths, only because at ruse it is hyper-competitive (and I'm not even doing 4U!). Current atar is sitting at a comfortable 99.

    TLDR: The rich DO NOT rule selective schools, but the hardworking and motivated do.
    seremify007 and worldno17 like this.

  16. #16
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,704
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    Thank you very much, millennial .. for sharing your story. This is the kind of contribution I'm hoping for.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

  17. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    TBH I think the rich rules everythign LOL

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    ??

    Private schools rule the rich.

    I go to a selective and people's houses are drab, single-storeyed and dodgy as. There's this outlier white kid tho whose father is a CEO, but he's an outlier and finds it a bit difficult to fit in with the rest. lmao his manners > everyone else's. And I do know that his family is rich as. Everyone else not so much (or maybe they don't flaunt it as much). This kid physically looks rich too. However, he doesn't go tutoring yet we all predict he's gonna get DUX.

    BTW I'm selective and definitely not "rich"... just my family's hardworking. That's it.

  19. #19
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    ??

    Private schools rule the rich.

    I go to a selective and people's houses are drab, single-storeyed and dodgy as. Probably because their parents spend all their money on tutoring... but There's this outlier white kid tho whose father is a CEO, but he's an outlier and finds it a bit difficult to fit in with the rest. lmao his manners > everyone else's. And I do know that his family is rich as. Everyone else not so much (or maybe they don't flaunt it as much). This kid physically looks rich too. However, he doesn't go tutoring yet we all predict he's gonna get DUX.

    BTW I'm selective and definitely not "rich"... just my family's hardworking. That's it.
    Last edited by Cronus; 3 May 2018 at 9:22 AM.

  20. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    But then again I go to a selective school in the South West so

  21. #21
    Loquacious One
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,704
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Do the Rich Rule Selective Schools??

    *
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •