Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By integral95
  • 1 Post By fan96
  • 2 Post By pikachu975

Thread: how to study for 4u???

Cadet
    HSC

Question how to study for 4u???

Normally, I don't do any homework throughout the term and only do past papers starting maybe 1 or 2 weeks before an exam, yet I still do decent but obviously not super great. Now, I would like to do more regular study, but I'm just curious as to how everyone studies for 4u eg. do you do questions from a textbook, revise over notes taken in class, watch videos, learn ahead etc? Thanks!!
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC

Re: how to study for 4u???

Quote Originally Posted by jjuunnee View Post
    Normally, I don't do any homework throughout the term and only do past papers starting maybe 1 or 2 weeks before an exam, yet I still do decent but obviously not super great. Now, I would like to do more regular study, but I'm just curious as to how everyone studies for 4u eg. do you do questions from a textbook, revise over notes taken in class, watch videos, learn ahead etc? Thanks!!
    Just become asian and you got this.

Jokes aside, for me I basically practiced questions more often (from textbook and past papers), especially since 4U has many more different variety of questions to ponder about.
    gallen88 likes this.
    “Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.”
    ― Brandon Mull

HSC

I do a lot of exercises, especially from textbooks. I try to familiarise myself with the course content. The SGS Notes are pretty good for this actually, I haven't had to use anything else. Doing questions on this forum, I think, has also improved my results.

Personally I prefer not to use videos when the same information could just be read - it's easier to get to the content and you have more "control" over how you consume it.

I've never had to learn ahead, but most people in my school go to tutoring centres and are several topics ahead.

Something I find quite unique about 4U Maths is that memorisation doesn't really help here like it does in pretty much every other subject I can think of. I make study notes but honestly I don't rely on them like I do for my other subjects.
    Last edited by fan96; 9 May 2018 at 9:20 PM.
    altSwift likes this.
    HSC 2018 - [English Adv.] • [Maths Ext. 1] • [Maths Ext. 2] • [Chemistry] • [Software Design and Development]

1(3√3) t2 dt cos(3π/9) = log(3√e) | Integral t2 dt, From 1 to the cube root of 3. Times the cosine, of three pi over nine, Equals log of the cube root of e.

HSC
    N/A
    01001110 01100101 01110111 00100000 01010011 01101111 01110101 01110100 01101000 00100000 01010111 01100001 01101100 01100101 01110011

Like generally speaking, homeworks are essential. Why not make little changes which will later result in bigger changes

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jjuunnee View Post
    Umm did nearly 1 past paper for 4u for 20-30 days leading up to HSC which boosted my trial mark of like 78 to around 90-94 in HSC (didn't buy my paper so idk my raw mark but it was in that range) - made a lot of silly mistakes like not finding argument right
    gallen88 and supR like this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC

This is the method/process I use to study maths, hasn't failed me yet:

1. Pick a past paper from a particular school, do the whole thing
    2. Write down the topics (even better, the specific exercises from your preferred textbook) that you made errors in
    3. The next day, study and do some questions from those particular topics/chapters until you are confident again
    4. Pick another past paper from a different school the day after and repeat.

Obviously, if your mistakes are just simple little arithmetic errors, then I wouldn't worry about revising those topics. The questions you want to revise are the ones where you take the completely wrong direction in or just don't know how to solve. Repeating this process throughout the term until you get a solid streak of papers you are happy with (for me, this is about 90%+) and you will be more than ready for your next 4u test.

I also watch videos (hsc specific) on the exercise we are going to do in class the night before, maybe attempt a few questions.
    Last edited by altSwift; 10 May 2018 at 6:35 PM.
    HSC 2018

English Adv - MX1 - MX2 - Physics - Economics

Thread Information