Thread: Psychiatry - complete degree whilst working full time in tax @ Big 4 accounting firm?

Cadet
    HSC

Psychiatry - complete degree whilst working full time in tax @ Big 4 accounting firm?

Hi guys,

I have completed a Commerce bachelor degree and currently work full time in tax at a Big 4 accounting firm.

Do you think it is realistically possible to complete studies to become a psychiatrist whilst continuing to work full time simultaneously?

Cheers

Zep

HSC

Re: Psychiatry - complete degree whilst working full time in tax @ Big 4 accounting f

you won't be able to work full time + study med. Won't have time for work as course is academically demanding, a lot of your days/hours would be busy in classes/hitting the books lol
    Last edited by captainneuro; 10 May 2018 at 9:06 PM.
    2017 HSC
    2018 Science (Neuro) at University of Sydney

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Psychiatry - complete degree whilst working full time in tax @ Big 4 accounting f

Ye nah lol

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin69 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have completed a Commerce bachelor degree and currently work full time in tax at a Big 4 accounting firm.

Do you think it is realistically possible to complete studies to become a psychiatrist whilst continuing to work full time simultaneously?

Cheers

Zep
    If your job is a 9-5 job, it's not realistic. You could possibly work casual or part-time evening or weekend shift-work for the medical degree, maybe at some cost to your performance, but you would be too busy as a doctor to be able to continue your other work for at least a few years.

Executive Member
    HSC

Ahahah once upon a time ago...

That would've been me

Try it, there's no harm in doing so. But not really releastic. Especially if you're working in tax. Try reducing your hours in either work or studying if you can. Why the change in paths anyways? Know that you have another 12 yrs ahead of you if you want to do psychiatry.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    Ahahah once upon a time ago...

That would've been me

Try it, there's no harm in doing so. But not really realistic. Especially if you're working in tax. Try reducing your hours in either work or studying if you can. Why the change in paths anyways? Know that you have another 12 yrs ahead of you if you want to do psychiatry.
    Unless the OP is willing to commit to potentially giving up their tax job, there really is no point in trying: the harm is time cost and burnout from trying to get into medicine, amplified the longer they persevere as their responsibility grows. Studying medicine is not flexible in the sense that you can cut out study, which is heavily attendance-based, and there's only so much slacking off you can do before you start failing assignments, exams and your job. Having a major commitment like this going up against an heavy object like medicine, in addition to other potentially large commitments like a significant other or family develop within 10 years, is going to mean that OP will under-perform and possibly fail in both areas, or end up having to sacrifice one of them anyway.

HSC

You can't pass med while working full time. I know a few doctors who have been able to a weekend here or there in med school as a pharmacist or vet but med school itself will take 40 hrs a week
    James Ruse 2011 - ATAR 99.80; State ranks in Agriculture, Chemistry, Biology; Australian Student Prize
    MBBS(Hons) 2017 | Monash University

Thread Information