Thread: Selective test

HSC

Selective test

I'm in yr 10 going to yr 11 next year and I want to try out for the selective test ..I've never done this but I want to make it into hurlstone. I know academic report, extra curriculum and admission test is based on whether u make it in.. my report isn't good but it isn't bad XD... I don't do any extra curriculums .. so I'm wondering what are my chances XD.. I'm confident bc I'm great at writing essaysand math tho (for the admission)... I also wanna know what topics are included in this exam and what topics are covered in math section XD... thankss.. Really grateful if someone answers me!!! T.T what should I study for????!!

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Selective test

DW I got into Normanhurst AND Manly for Year 11 Entry, and my report was sorta normal. I got horrible for English and fairly good for Maths and Electronics, but the rest were mediocre. I did 2 extracurriculars - Robotics and programming, but we got nowhere in Robotics. (lol)
    I made it in extremely easily, so looking at your conditions, you can make it in if u study so dw.
    GL tho. Btw transitioning to Year 11 at selective made my life a bit hard. I ain't used to the extreme competitive study environments so... Either way gl.

HSC

Thanks for the assurance
    Last edited by Someone u might know; 12 Jun 2018 at 7:06 PM.

HSC

But also ... just wondering what topics are there in the test and the difficulty ?.? Thankssss

Cadet
    HSC

I cant remember. But unless Hurlstone uses HAST, don't worry if u don't finish. Especially maths. I got AMC prize but I didn't finish my Normo or NSB maths exam. I got into Normo and I still got close to NSB. (My english killed me tho in NSB)

HSC

What's hast ?? XD sorry I have 0 knowledge about this bahaha

HSC

HAST is the Higher Ability Selection Test, basically to test how academically gifted you are. It's split into mathematics/science, writing, reading and comprehension, and general ability which is basically figuring out patterns. If it is HAST, the selection process is against the others taking it, not how well you've done. I took it last year for Girraween and I thought I did horrible, but I did end up getting in even when I was a reserve. Just gotta believe hard enough, and if it was meant to be then it'll be
    Mathematics Ext 1 Adv Mathematics > Biology Adv English PDHPE Chemistry < SLR

➋☻➊➒

HSC

oh ok thanks

Thread Information