Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gallen88

Thread: I messed up subject selection!

  1. #1
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    1

    I messed up subject selection!

    I am a Normo that does these sub.
    • English ADV
    • Mathematics 3U
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Software D & D
    • Engineering Studies

    I regret my choices. I am only happy with maths and phys.
    I cant cope with Adv. english and should've stayed at Chatswood.
    Chemistry I absolutely am failing.
    I hate Software D & D's theory
    Engineering is too difficult
    I made too many mistakes, and I wish I took things like Modern, or maybe Chinese Beginners on Open High.
    Should I redo Year 11?

  2. #2
    Cadet gallen88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    I am a Normo that does these sub.
    • English ADV
    • Mathematics 3U
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Software D & D
    • Engineering Studies

    I regret my choices. I am only happy with maths and phys.
    I cant cope with Adv. english and should've stayed at Chatswood.
    Chemistry I absolutely am failing.
    I hate Software D & D's theory
    Engineering is too difficult
    I made too many mistakes, and I wish I took things like Modern, or maybe Chinese Beginners on Open High.
    Should I redo Year 11?
    Hey Leon_3V,

    If you want to redo Year 11, it's your choice (as you are doing the new syllabus now). However, I don't think you should give up hope just yet because there is already time to improve and get a tutor for the subjects you're struggling with. I know a lot of students in my school who struggled with Year 11 English Advanced and Chemistry and are doing really well in Year 12. I think you should ask your teachers some extra questions about explaining the concepts more thoroughly in class, so you can deepen your understanding on the topic.

    If you're really struggling and don't want to redo Year 11, keep in mind you can make the following subject changes when you start Year 12:
    - Drop to Standard (if you're really struggling - I mean under 50% - in Advanced!), or keep Advanced (think you should keep it and see whether you improve over the rest of the prelim course) - 2 units
    - Pick up 4 unit Maths - 4 units.
    - Keep Physics - 2 units.
    - Pick up Senior Science - 2 units.
    - You can drop Software and Engineering Studies.

    You will have a total of 10 units. If you are worried about 4 unit Maths, do consider that if you think you can handle it (as you seem to be doing well in 3 unit) give it a go, you will just need to work hard throughout the Year to make sure you do well.

    However, if you really want to redo Year 11, do talk to your careers advisor and think over this yourself. Give yourself until the end of Year 11 and see how your marks go. If they improve don't lose all hope because you can make a turn around in Year 12. If you stuff up majorly (I'm talking about 20% in these subjects) and you want to repeat, that's your choice and good on you for the responsibility! Ultimately make sure you take some time to really think this over, as long as you're happy with the subjects you are doing that's the most important thing, because the HSC is stressful and doing subjects you enjoy can make a difference. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF!

    Goodluck,
    Gallen88
    Drongoski and rvh like this.

  3. #3
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    Quote Originally Posted by gallen88 View Post
    Hey Leon_3V,

    If you want to redo Year 11, it's your choice (as you are doing the new syllabus now). However, I don't think you should give up hope just yet because there is already time to improve and get a tutor for the subjects you're struggling with. I know a lot of students in my school who struggled with Year 11 English Advanced and Chemistry and are doing really well in Year 12. I think you should ask your teachers some extra questions about explaining the concepts more thoroughly in class, so you can deepen your understanding on the topic.

    If you're really struggling and don't want to redo Year 11, keep in mind you can make the following subject changes when you start Year 12:
    - Drop to Standard (if you're really struggling - I mean under 50% - in Advanced!), or keep Advanced (think you should keep it and see whether you improve over the rest of the prelim course) - 2 units
    - Pick up 4 unit Maths - 4 units.
    - Keep Physics - 2 units.
    - Pick up Senior Science - 2 units.
    - You can drop Software and Engineering Studies.

    You will have a total of 10 units. If you are worried about 4 unit Maths, do consider that if you think you can handle it (as you seem to be doing well in 3 unit) give it a go, you will just need to work hard throughout the Year to make sure you do well.

    However, if you really want to redo Year 11, do talk to your careers advisor and think over this yourself. Give yourself until the end of Year 11 and see how your marks go. If they improve don't lose all hope because you can make a turn around in Year 12. If you stuff up majorly (I'm talking about 20% in these subjects) and you want to repeat, that's your choice and good on you for the responsibility! Ultimately make sure you take some time to really think this over, as long as you're happy with the subjects you are doing that's the most important thing, because the HSC is stressful and doing subjects you enjoy can make a difference. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF!

    Goodluck,
    Gallen88
    Lol my school doesn't offer standard.

  4. #4
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    Honestly wish i picked Modern History or Chinese Beginners (Open High)

  5. #5
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    Yikes dude, its too late to change tho now !!
    Lol big mood with the transfer tho, I transferred Girra to Baulko and I'm hating it HAHA but too late now !
    There's not much you can do except work harder to try to catchup and make the most of your subjects, and nah I don't recommend redoing year 11 because that's such a pain with your workload and socially.
    PM me if you want Chem notes though lmao
    3U Eng | Chem | Bio | Physics | Adv Math | Modern History


    99+ Atar Goal

  6. #6
    rvh
    rvh is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    I have to agree that transferring can be a massive blow. Getting used to the new school takes time. I'm talking about this from experience.

    Gallen 88 has a good point - pick up 4U Maths (seeing that your happy with maths), and drop 2 subjects. In Year 12, I had to choose between dropping Physics or Business Studies. Dropped Physics because it was taking too much time and I didn't enjoy it. Good decision because I ended up doing a Business degree at Uni, and the material I was taught in Business Studies was relevant to my course
    Creating an app for students to achieve their personal and study goals


    Sign up at: https://taskrun.wixsite.com/signup

    ATAR: 96.35
    "Difficult Roads often lead to Beautiful Destinations"


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    Quote Originally Posted by Leon_V3 View Post
    I am a Normo that does these sub.
    • English ADV
    • Mathematics 3U
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Software D & D
    • Engineering Studies

    I regret my choices. I am only happy with maths and phys.
    I cant cope with Adv. english and should've stayed at Chatswood.
    Chemistry I absolutely am failing.

    I hate Software D & D's theory
    Engineering is too difficult
    I made too many mistakes, and I wish I took things like Modern, or maybe Chinese Beginners on Open High.
    Should I redo Year 11?
    With regards to these 2 subjects I know plenty of people in your position in Yr11 who literally peaked in Yr12 and destroyed me in internal rankings. There's nothing that time + hard work + tutoring can't fix imo
    Baulkham Hills '16

    English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

    ATAR: 99.95

  8. #8
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew12678 View Post
    With regards to these 2 subjects I know plenty of people in your position in Yr11 who literally peaked in Yr12 and destroyed me in internal rankings. There's nothing that time + hard work + tutoring can't fix imo
    Noice thx

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: I messed up subject selection!

    Hey Leon, I TOTALLY understand your pain, I wanted to change all of my subjects at the beginning of the year but stook to them and am actually enjoying them. I agree with what most people are saying, pick up 4U Maths, and why not do Science Extension which is the science version of History Extension which will pair up with Physics. Then you can drop some of the subjects you really aren't enjoying. If you were to take my advice, you would have the following:

    English ADV - 2
    Mathematics 4U - 4
    Chemistry - 2
    Physics - 2
    Software D & D - 2
    Engineering Studies - 2
    Science Extension - 1

    That amounts to 15 Units, so you can drop 2 Subjects and will end up with 11 Units, just a friendly suggestion. With English, just power through, literally that's all you can do, you have to learn to love it lol. Anyway, I don't recommend redoing Year 11, what a waste of a year, good luck with your decision!
    Preliminary 2018-HSC 2019
    Ancient History Business StudiesEconomicsEnglish AdvancedEnglish Extension 1VET Hospitality
    Studies of Religion II

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •