Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Drdusk
  • 1 Post By pikachu975

Thread: Question about aligning/scaling

HSC
    N/A

Question about aligning/scaling

Is it true if you get super high in the HSC, but your internal rank/mark is mediocre or bad, they align the HSC mark to match the external result?

HSC

Re: Question about aligning/scaling

Not exactly?

All I know is that your internal mark is calculated based on your rank and how well your cohort goes in the external exam (so if you're ranked 14th you'll get the 14th highest mark in your cohort). Your external mark is purely based on your performance in the external exam but it's an aligned mark, not a raw mark (eg. 70 raw mark in the exam may go up to a 90 as your final external mark). How much your mark gets aligned depends on the subject's scaling

This may not be fully correct, but hope this helps!
    [FONT=Century Gothic][I]2017 HSC : 2U Maths (94)

2018 HSC : Eng Adv | 3U Maths | 4U Maths | Bio | Legal

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jjuunnee View Post
    Not exactly?

All I know is that your internal mark is calculated based on your rank and how well your cohort goes in the external exam (so if you're ranked 14th you'll get the 14th highest mark in your cohort). Your external mark is purely based on your performance in the external exam but it's an aligned mark, not a raw mark (eg. 70 raw mark in the exam may go up to a 90 as your final external mark). How much your mark gets aligned depends on the subject's scaling

You wont necessarily get the 14th highest exam mark. Your marks will get shifted up or down so that the mean of your new internal marks equals the mean of the external marks
    pikachu975 likes this.
    2018 HSC!!
    English | Maths Ext 1 | Maths Ext 2 | Physics | Software Design and Development | IPT

ATAR aim: 96+ (Advanced Science(Physics Honours) and Comp Sci)

HSC

Not exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Drdusk View Post
    You wont necessarily get the 14th highest exam mark. Your marks will get shifted up or down so that the mean of your new internal marks equals the mean of the external marks
    Yep as stated it won't exactly be the 14th highest, but it should be close-ish to it.
    Drdusk likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Is it true if you get super high in the HSC, but your internal rank/mark is mediocre or bad, they align the HSC mark to match the external result?
    Because no one has disputed me, can I assume what I stated in the original post ^ as the truth?

HSC
    N/A

Not exactly?

Oh that's what I used to think, but then I also heard that a significant difference in your external mark as opposed to your internal affects things as well

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I don't get what you mean by HSC mark and external result?
    Do you mean internal mark and the External HSC mark, as my response is based on this assumption

Nope that is incorrect, NESA does not all at do that.
    A significant difference of lets say 70% to a 95% in your external exam will obviously pull up your moderated internal mark as it pulls up your cohorts mean. Therefore like I stated they will moderate your internal mark so that the mean of the internal marks equal the mean of the external marks.

One person I know had an average of in the high 70s for Maths and most of the cohort was in the high 80s and 90s but since his and his cohorts external marks were so good, he ended up getting 90 as his moderated internal mark ;p

Basically it will pull up your moderated internal mark a bit
    Last edited by Drdusk; 13 Sep 2018 at 7:19 PM.
    2018 HSC!!
    English | Maths Ext 1 | Maths Ext 2 | Physics | Software Design and Development | IPT

ATAR aim: 96+ (Advanced Science(Physics Honours) and Comp Sci)

Thread Information