Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Makeone

Thread: Sleep

HSC

Question Sleep

Idk where to post this so I'm just gonna post it here.

How much sleep do you get and how much do you think is a good amount for a 15 year old in year 10?

I've basically been sleeping at 11-12AM every night and waking up at 4:30AM for the past term and a couple of weeks. I guess it's not really sleeping, more like napping. I've been doing this because of the work I have to do for school and my part-time job. I work some Saturdays and Sundays. I'm doing some weekdays because it's almost Christmas and we have to stock the shelves for Christmas.

I legit have no idea how to get more sleep. I am deteriorating. Where do I start? How do I sleep... no, what do I do?

I've thought about quitting my job but the pay is so good that I don't want to leave ahahaha. If I keep my job, I can work during Christmas time in December and get more than 20 an hour. (This may not be a lot to you, but it's a lot to me haha.)
    HSC: 2020
    Adv. English | MX1 | Engineering | Legal | Phys | Chem

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Makeone View Post

How much sleep do you get and how much do you think is a good amount for a 15 year old in year 10?

I've basically been sleeping at 11-12AM every night and waking up at 4:30AM for the past term and a couple of weeks. I guess it's not really sleeping, more like napping. I've been doing this because of the work I have to do for school and my part-time job. I work some Saturdays and Sundays. I'm doing some weekdays because it's almost Christmas and we have to stock the shelves for Christmas.

I legit have no idea how to get more sleep. I am deteriorating. Where do I start? How do I sleep... no, what do I do?

I've thought about quitting my job but the pay is so good that I don't want to leave ahahaha. If I keep my job, I can work during Christmas time in December and get more than 20 an hour. (This may not be a lot to you, but it's a lot to me haha.)
    shit i sleep at 9pm and wake up at 8am and im in yr 12 now technically, u work too hard. save ur energy and stamina for yr 11, you don't want to overwork yourself and burn out too quickly. but if ur managing, then by all means keep up the good work!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Munti View Post
    shit i sleep at 9pm and wake up at 8am and im in yr 12 now technically, u work too hard. save ur energy and stamina for yr 11, you don't want to overwork yourself and burn out too quickly. but if ur managing, then by all means keep up the good work!
    Thank you

aoc
    HSC

You're sleeping way too little especially for a 15 year old. Even during year 12 i made sure i got at least 6.5 hours of sleep on a school night (worst case 4-5 hours but id nap when i got home) and would sleep in during weekends. I reckon youre gonna have to try getting at least 6-7 hours on school days or you'd just be exhausted all the time

HSC

I'm surprised you're surviving on that every night... probably one of the low % of people who function decently on low sleep consistently. If you feel fine then it's okay keep doing it but if not then definitely sleep more. More tired you are it means less effective study, less happier/social, and you'll be less motivated. Also it'll probably impair some development which is occurring A LOT right now since you're 15 so try sleep more!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC
    N/A

What's your daily schedule look like from when you wake up to when you sleep?

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Can you fit in a nap during the day/afternoon?
    l’appel du vide

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGas View Post
    What's your daily schedule look like from when you wake up to when you sleep?
    4:30 AM wake up, wash, eat, do some studying for maths or any coming exam
    7:30 AM catch a bus to go to school
    School
    4 PM come back from school, undress, tidy room and prepare for the night ahead and chill for a bit
    4:30 PM start studying again or revising what we learnt
    6:30 PM dinner and chill for a bit with fam
    7:30 PM Shower and get into pjs
    8:30 PM study/revise/read/work out/exercise depending on the day.
    11 PM or 12 AM go to sleep, or atleast try ahaha

On work days, I go straight to work after school and start at 3:30 PM and usually end at 7:30 PM or 9 PM on thursdays (if I do work on thursdays). Work days are really bad for me because I usually sleep at 2 AM on those days.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    Can you fit in a nap during the day/afternoon?
    I could try. I've only napped once or twice since I began sleeping so little. But I found that if I napped, the more energetic I was during night at 11 PM and 12 AM and so I couldn't sleep. :/

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by aoc View Post
    You're sleeping way too little especially for a 15 year old. Even during year 12 i made sure i got at least 6.5 hours of sleep on a school night (worst case 4-5 hours but id nap when i got home) and would sleep in during weekends. I reckon youre gonna have to try getting at least 6-7 hours on school days or you'd just be exhausted all the time
    Okay thanks I'll try do that.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu975 View Post
    I'm surprised you're surviving on that every night... probably one of the low % of people who function decently on low sleep consistently. If you feel fine then it's okay keep doing it but if not then definitely sleep more. More tired you are it means less effective study, less happier/social, and you'll be less motivated. Also it'll probably impair some development which is occurring A LOT right now since you're 15 so try sleep more!
    I'm surprised too. Idk if it's hereditary, my dad and my brother sleep less than me. So, idk. I just hope I don't die ahaha.
    pikachu975 likes this.

HSC

I'm surprised too. Idk if it's hereditary, my dad and my brother sleep less than me. So, idk. I just hope I don't die ahaha.
    You probably won't die because even my friend can survive on such low sleep, just depends on your genetics. Some people need like 12 hours a day some need 4!

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

HSC
    Uni Grad

Are you setting an alarm? If not then I am less likely to be worried.
    l’appel du vide

HSC
    Uni Grad

4:30 AM wake up, wash, eat, do some studying for maths or any coming exam
    7:30 AM catch a bus to go to school
    School
    4 PM come back from school, undress, tidy room and prepare for the night ahead and chill for a bit
    4:30 PM start studying again or revising what we learnt
    6:30 PM dinner and chill for a bit with fam
    7:30 PM Shower and get into pjs
    8:30 PM study/revise/read/work out/exercise depending on the day.
    11 PM or 12 AM go to sleep, or atleast try ahaha

On work days, I go straight to work after school and start at 3:30 PM and usually end at 7:30 PM or 9 PM on thursdays (if I do work on thursdays). Work days are really bad for me because I usually sleep at 2 AM on those days.
    Try excercising in the morning. Apperantly for some people that can cause restlessness.
    l’appel du vide

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    Try excercising in the morning. Apperantly for some people that can cause restlessness.
    Yeah exercising at night helps people feel more energised, often when pulling all-nighters I'd exercise for about 30 mins and it'd help me stay up. Before y11 and sometimes if I'm bothered now, I'd work out at around 4-5am and use that energy throughout the day and by the time it was 10pm I'd be asleep.
    2018: bio
    2019: chem, bus, 2u, adv

c8
    Cadet
    HSC

it seems like you have a bit of travel time going back and forth from school so i would definitely utilise this for homework and revision, homework is good to do in the morning that way in class you'll be revised and it will be fresh in your mind and revising straight after will help you retain the information but play arorund and see what works for you.

i can see why you don't have enough time and sleep because of your busy schedule but it's definitely going to help you a LOT in the long haul and especially in senior years to get 7.5 hours or more of sleep. it wont matter if you study hard or not at all if you dont have the energy and concentration you will get from a good night's sleep. if you do think you can cope with just a little sleep, trying figuring out in the summer holidays the best time for yourself to get to bed and wakeup, then work your routine around that, dont work sleep into your routine, sleep is definitely a top priority!! it's also quite helpful to have a set time everynight that you'll go to sleep, that way you know that you shouldn't plan anything that would cut into your sleeping time

Thread Information