Thread: law question

Cadet
    HSC

Question law question

hey peeps

so if i what if the only option for me was to do law at uow like a bachelor of laws, would i still have a chance at entering the profession?

or should i scrap law at uow and do something better?

the reason i can only do law at uow is personal, but should i just do a double degree with it instead or?

thanks x

Cadet
    HSC

Re: law question

I don't know a lot about the legal profession or law at uni. But from what ive heard and experienced, USYD/UNSW have a bit of a monopoly in top law firms but that doesn't mean graduates from UTS/Macquarie/UWS/UOW are disadvantaged. As long as your able to achieve top marks and have extra curriculars, and distinguish yourself from other graduates you will be able to enter the legal profession.

btw if you receive good marks in the first year you can always transfer to other uni's.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cherryboi View Post
    I don't know a lot about the legal profession or law at uni. But from what ive heard and experienced, USYD/UNSW have a bit of a monopoly in top law firms but that doesn't mean graduates from UTS/Macquarie/UWS/UOW are disadvantaged. As long as your able to achieve top marks and have extra curriculars, and distinguish yourself from other graduates you will be able to enter the legal profession.

btw if you receive good marks in the first year you can always transfer to other uni's.
    thanks so much

Sleep Deprived Entity RivalryofTroll's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jelena_nina2001 View Post
    hey peeps

so if i what if the only option for me was to do law at uow like a bachelor of laws, would i still have a chance at entering the profession?

or should i scrap law at uow and do something better?

the reason i can only do law at uow is personal, but should i just do a double degree with it instead or?

thanks x
    Yes, and even so if your idea of 'entering the profession' is simply 'can I score a summer clerkship and graduate position at a big commercial law firm?'. Even if it's not common, there definitely have been UOW alumni at top-tier and mid-tier commercial law firms.

There's obviously other opportunities in the legal profession.

If you like the possible idea of being a lawyer, yes you should do law.

Well it's a 5 year combined law degree vs a 4 year single law degree (JDs are 3 years). Only 1 extra year for another degree sounds like a good deal if you're that concerned with finding a job in the legal profession.
    “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”
    – Jim Rohn

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by RivalryofTroll View Post
    Yes, and even so if your idea of 'entering the profession' is simply 'can I score a summer clerkship and graduate position at a big commercial law firm?'. Even if it's not common, there definitely have been UOW alumni at top-tier and mid-tier commercial law firms.

There's obviously other opportunities in the legal profession.

If you like the possible idea of being a lawyer, yes you should do law.

Well it's a 5 year combined law degree vs a 4 year single law degree (JDs are 3 years). Only 1 extra year for another degree sounds like a good deal if you're that concerned with finding a job in the legal profession.
    so what you're saying is that even uow is not one of the group of 8 unis, i still have a chance with doing the Bachelor of Laws?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jelena_nina2001 View Post
    so what you're saying is that even uow is not one of the group of 8 unis, i still have a chance with doing the Bachelor of Laws?
    ..Do you think the tens of thousands of lawyers currently working around the country are from usyd/unsw or go8 only?
    2017 HSC
    sci/advstud (neuro) at University of Sydney

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by captainneuro View Post
    ..Do you think the tens of thousands of lawyers currently working around the country are from usyd/unsw or go8 only?
    umm no.....i am from a migrant background and am not that familiar with uni degrees and the such so yeah. thank you so much for the reply though x

Thread Information