• 1 Post By TeheeCat
  • 1 Post By dumbfuck
  • 1 Post By kpopiskillingmyatar
  • 1 Post By BLIT2014

Thread: Want to study ahead for 2019 Preliminary Subjects

HSC

Want to study ahead for 2019 Preliminary Subjects

Hi guys,

I'm currently in Year 10 and I want to get a head start on physics, biology and chemistry without attending tuition. What resources ($100 or less) would you recommend I should use/purchase? Is it okay if I buy notes from Thinkswap or other websites (there is one website in particular I want to purchase from but it gets censored when I type it on BOS) rather than buying a textbook?
    Last edited by yleming; 7 Oct 2018 at 12:12 PM.

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Want to study ahead for 2019 Preliminary Subjects

Quote Originally Posted by yleming View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently in Year 10 and I want to get a head start on physics, biology and chemistry without attending tuition. What resources ($100 or less) would you recommend I should use/purchase? Is it okay if I buy notes from Thinkswap or other websites (there is one website in particular I want to purchase from but it gets censored when I type it on BOS) rather than buying a textbook?
    well buying notes from thinkswap is in my opinion not good because you are better of making your own notes that you will understand. with that being said,

BIOLOGY
    http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=10#10.10

CHEMISTRY
    http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=11

PHYSICS
    http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=13 which has physics notes.

for above links, use the keyboard shortcut for find (Control F) and navigate them that way if you'd like.

all these resources are free and there's no money involved, hope it helps.
    Last edited by jelena_nina2001; 7 Oct 2018 at 12:26 PM.
    yleming likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Wouldn't really recommend buying notes from think swap. Either make your own notes using 1-2 textbooks for each subject or wait till someone from this year uploads their prelim notes. To be honest, I personally feel there is no point in getting ahead for prelims. The only thing you can get ahead on if you want is maths. Apart from that i recommend you learn the sciences once you settle in to year 11. Your not going to get a time in which you will have so much free time for the next 2 years, so i would enjoy it.
    yleming likes this.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jelena_nina2001 View Post
    well buying notes from thinkswap is in my opinion not good because you are better of making your own notes that you will understand. with that being said,

BIOLOGY
    http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=10#10.10

CHEMISTRY
    http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=11

PHYSICS
    http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=13 which has physics notes.

for above links, use the keyboard shortcut for find (Control F) and navigate them that way if you'd like.

all these resources are free and there's no money involved, hope it helps.
    These are mostly for the old syllabus and while there are relevant things it would be very hard for someone who has not yet completed year 11.

I think just as Cherryboi said it isn't too necessary to get ahead on the sciences but it is great if you do. I think you should write your own notes as by reading you aren't really going to gain anything and while they are a good resource, it would be great if you could mend some together and make your own version of completed notes.
    The best way to write notes in my opinion is to pull up the syllabus and make sure you are familiar with all the dot points and write your notes that way. It is personal opinion but I think its pretty good.
    While I think this is unnecessary, if you are keen try get your hands on the new textbooks and start reading and making notes as above. Inclass, have them open while listening and amend the notes to make them just perfect for you.
    Good luck dude
    yleming likes this.

Year 10: All other random subjects!!
    Prelim: Physics (Accelerated)
    HSC: Maths Extension 1(99), Maths Extension 2(94) (Accelerated)

Prelim: English, Chemistry and Business
    HSC: Physics (Accelerated)

HSC: English, Chemistry

HSC

The others above have provided very good advice. Just to add on:

IIRC, your cohort will be the first year group to undertake the new Syllabus for 2U/3U/4U maths (assuming you're not doing General math, but their syllabus also changed earlier). I'm not exactly sure what's changed though. So if you decide to study for math, look at the new syllabus carefully to ensure you're studying the right topics. I think the old syllabus resources should definitely still be helpful though!

All the sciences have quite a bit of theory into them, especially Chemistry and Biology as they're pretty content heavy (someone correct me if i am wrong, I only do physics). It would very beneficial to get a head start in learning the theory and make notes according to the topics listed in the syllabus. While it may be difficult to find resources specific to the preliminary syllabus, you can still look through multiple websites and videos to gain knowledge.

For example in physics, I use this website to learn and consolidate knowledge for various topics: https://www.physicsclassroom.com/

I'm sure there are plenty of more websites and videos for each of the sciences e.g. Khan Academy

Good luck! Enjoy the rest of year 10 ^^
    yleming likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by TeheeCat View Post
    All the sciences have quite a bit of theory into them, especially Chemistry and Biology as they're pretty content heavy (someone correct me if i am wrong, I only do physics).
    nah chem ain't too content heavy, it's around 30% more difficult than the old syllabus (according to my teach) and requires understanding a lot of equations/formulas and concepts

currently do bio but the old syllabus and it seems the new syllabus still has a lot of content but y12 content is introduced in y11 and build up on, you get better revision and understanding for hsc

as the others have stated you can't really get that ahead besides maybe for maths and the whole new syllabus thing makes it more difficult to get pre-existing notes, if you're 16 or turning 16 I recommend you get your learners and get your 120 hours completed

you can buy the textbooks your school recommends and look through those
    Last edited by dumbfuck; 7 Oct 2018 at 6:56 PM.
    yleming likes this.

HSC

https://books.google.com.au/books/ab...on&redir_esc=y

This book is really good and summarises the entire new syllabus.
    yleming likes this.
    2018 Prelim: Adv. English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Investigating Science, Persian Continuers, SOR I (13 Units)
    2019 HSC: Adv. English, Standard Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Investigating Science, Science Extension, Persian Continuers (13 Units)

ATAR Goal:94.00

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Other than mathematics and perhaps reading your English texts, I would not study ahead. It is your last proper break before HSC so you may as well take a break.
    yleming likes this.
    Maths is not a subject, it's a lifestyle choice
    - snipez264

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

Thread Information