Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: HSC Business Studies Exam Thoughts:

HSC

HSC Business Studies Exam Thoughts:

Hey everyone,

Good luck with the paper today! Let us know your thoughts about the paper below. : )

HSC

Re: HSC Business Studies Exam Thoughts:

Easy paper but.....

For the last short answer question I used a new booklet. I wrote the question number on the front and wrote on the last page of the extra writing paper see next booklet but then forgot to label the booklet on the blue sheet. So I just recorded 1 booklet for the short answers. Will they see this and mark it? Or will the booklet just get thrown out. It will only cost me 1 mark since I wrote three lines but it’s just for piece of mind....

HSC

Good paper. Essay questions were pretty specific again though (globalisation).

Cadet
    HSC

Everything was fine except extended response...
    hsc 2018:
    ancient history // business studies // english advanced // french continuers // general mathematics

atar goal: 87+

4th place on space indvaders

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    Easy paper but.....

For the last short answer question I used a new booklet. I wrote the question number on the front and wrote on the last page of the extra writing paper see next booklet but then forgot to label the booklet on the blue sheet. So I just recorded 1 booklet for the short answers. Will they see this and mark it? Or will the booklet just get thrown out. It will only cost me 1 mark since I wrote three lines but it’s just for piece of mind....
    I do agree though the multiple choice were better than previous years which is good and short answers wasn't too bad either.

In relation to your situation, I think if you handed up the booklet that will be okay. I don't think they will throw it out since you wrote "see next booklet" underneath the question (that would've been handed up with your short answer writing booklet) which will have the rest of what you wrote for 24c too. Also if you wrote down on the spare booklet that you used "Section II" or "24c" and filled out your BOS and centre number too you should be fine. I highly doubt they will oversee it.

P.S. Damn dude, you seem to be smashing all your papers good job!
    HoldingOn likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by gallen88 View Post
    I do agree though the multiple choice were better than previous years which is good and short answers wasn't too bad either.

In relation to your situation, I think if you handed up the booklet that will be okay. I don't think they will throw it out since you wrote "see next booklet" underneath the question (that would've been handed up with your short answer writing booklet) which will have the rest of what you wrote for 24c too. Also if you wrote down on the spare booklet that you used "Section II" or "24c" and filled out your BOS and centre number too you should be fine. I highly doubt they will oversee it.

P.S. Damn dude, you seem to be smashing all your papers good job!
    Thanks! Hope this is the case. Yeah multis were too bad usually they have a few tricky/ vague questions which you are torn on but I didn’t think so this year.

HSC

hey guys

if anyone did the extended response question on global influences of financial markets .. would the i talked about the exchange rate which is availability of funds can anyone tell if that is right?
    thanks guys

HSC

What did everyone get for MC question on marketing influences, the food that may damage health one?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Metah20 View Post
    What did everyone get for MC question on marketing influences, the food that may damage health one?
    Government legislation/ regulation whichever that option was
    gallen88 likes this.

HSC

Global Influences on Financial Markets are:
    - Global Economic Outlook
    - Availability of Funds
    - Interest/Exchange Rates
    - AND GLOBAL FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT!

I think you have answered the question correctly : )

P.S. I do apologise to other individuals who were stressing out about the question. : (
    Last edited by gallen88; 2 Nov 2018 at 5:55 PM.

HSC

okay thanks!! because i was looking at the business syllabus and and exchange rates wasn't listed on global influences so i got abit scared

THANK YOU SO MUCH

HSC

How did everyone answer that situational analysis question in short answer? Was abit confused on how to answer it

HSC

I just stated how if they were to expand to Europe, their strength of having a loyal audience would be infleunced by other markets with different behavioural, socio-cultural etc influences that will impact upon the ways that they view the product. Therefore the business is removing their strength for and opportunity to expand into wider markets.
    The threat of a shrinking Australian market will have been eliminated from the business's threats and the opportunity to expand as they sell in foreign countries may lead to positive business performance
    I said some more but totally forgot the others.

HSC

^ ok, so many grammatical errors there, sorry, running on absolutely no sleep from business study, gonna log off now xx

HSC

Global Influences on Financial Markets are:
    - Global Economic Outlook
    - Availability of Funds
    - Interest/Exchange Rates
    - Any others if you added any OP.

I think you have answered the question correctly : )
    Whattttt? I talked about the global financial management part of the syllabus and I know other people did too, is that wrong?
    HSC 2018: English (Advanced), Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1, Physics, PDHPE, Economics, Business Studies

ATAR Aim: 95.00

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxd12 View Post
    Whattttt? I talked about the global financial management part of the syllabus and I know other people did too, is that wrong?
    I did both. How they are influenced by interest rates, economic outlook etc. and then create strategies as a result of this influence and talked about exchange rates, hedging, derivatives and methods of international payment.

HSC

if you take a look on the business syllabus under 'global financial influences' its economic outlook, availability of funds and interest rates. hedging, derivatives are financial stategies

HSC
    N/A

for the extended response of global financial influences.. i forgot to talk about the availability of funds but i wrote a paragraph on exchange rates, interest rates and economic conditions only .. and the exchange rates isnt on the syllabus so im abit scard can anyone confirm if this is correct??

ps. how did much did you guys write the HR fast burgers because i didnt finish on time and only wrote like 70 words for each strategy.. was wondering how many words u guys wrote

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Does anyone want to impress me with their meme creating ability?
    l’appel du vide

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxd12 View Post
    At parallaxd12, that would also be correct because that's under influences too. I just forgot to add that point because I'm a bit tired and forgot (however, that doesn't excuse the forgetfulness). Sorry about that!
    Last edited by gallen88; 2 Nov 2018 at 5:57 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by fgbh View Post
    if you take a look on the business syllabus under 'global financial influences' its economic outlook, availability of funds and interest rates. hedging, derivatives are financial stategies
    Yeah I covered all the influences and then moved onto strategies. Because the strategies themselves are an extension of the influence i.e you use strategies to manage and harness them

HSC

At parallaxd12, that would also be correct because that's under influences too. I just forgot to add that point because I'm a bit tired and forgot (however, that doesn't excuse the forgetfulness). Sorry about that!
    Nah it’s in strategies isn’t it? You talked about the right thing
    HSC 2018: English (Advanced), Mathematics, Mathematics Ext 1, Physics, PDHPE, Economics, Business Studies

ATAR Aim: 95.00

HSC

The question was something along the lines of the effect of global market influences on financial management which generally applies the syllabus of:

-Economic Outlook
    -Availability of Funds
    -Interest Rates

Also if you did the the Globalisation essay, it was a mixture of both the marketing syllabus and the operations syllabus as it doesn't directly state either but according the senior HSC marker, he said that since the question did not specifically ask for neither marketing or operations, both will be accepted, however the marking guidelines have been built around marketing and it will be extremely difficult to get over 15 if you chose to do operations strategies as they are a lot more difficult to link to price and quality interaction.

The syllabus dot points for the second question; something along the lines of the influence of globalisation on the interaction between price and quality includes:

Global Marketing Strategies:
    -Global Branding
    -Standardisation
    -Customisation
    -Global Pricing
    -Competetive Positioning

Global Factors (Operations Strategies)
    -Global Sourcing
    -Economies of Scale
    -Scanning and Learning
    -Research and Development

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraXT View Post
    The question was something along the lines of the effect of global market influences on financial management which generally applies the syllabus of:

-Economic Outlook
    -Availability of Funds
    -Interest Rates

Also if you did the the Globalisation essay, it was a mixture of both the marketing syllabus and the operations syllabus as it doesn't directly state either but according the senior HSC marker, he said that since the question did not specifically ask for neither marketing or operations, both will be accepted, however the marking guidelines have been built around marketing and it will be extremely difficult to get over 15 if you chose to do operations strategies as they are a lot more difficult to link to price and quality interaction.

The syllabus dot points for the second question; something along the lines of the influence of globalisation on the interaction between price and quality includes:

Global Marketing Strategies:
    -Global Branding
    -Standardisation
    -Customisation
    -Global Pricing
    -Competetive Positioning

Global Factors (Operations Strategies)
    -Global Sourcing
    -Economies of Scale
    -Scanning and Learning
    -Research and Development
    hey, for the global market influences i didnt talk about availability of funds, i instead i talked about the influence of exchange rate instead, do you think its still corrrect

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by derrythkl View Post
    hey, for the global market influences i didnt talk about availability of funds, i instead i talked about the influence of exchange rate instead, do you think its still corrrect
    Yes, exchange rates can also be talked about.

The syllabus dot points you needed to cover were:
    1. Global Economic Outlook
    2. Availability of Funds
    3. Interest Rates

The floating of exchange rates is also a product of change within the global environment, and it has the ability to effect financial management in terms of managing business costs and revenue. Whilst it is technically part of strategies, you would then go on to explain how financial management has responded to this - Natural Hedging (Establishing offshore subsidiaries & Denominating trade in a single currency) and/or Financial Derivatives Hedging (Futures, Options, Swaps) If you wanted to push yourself to the upper band 6 range, you could have started talking about the sustained depreciation of the AUD and/or the currency crisis experienced in emerging economies, and this has effected financial management for businesses. If you had extra time you could have also talked about how this is an increasingly dominant influence because of globalisation and the emergence of global supply chains and trade.

1. Global economic outlook was fairly straightforward, and people who do economics should do fairly well on this (Consumer/Business confdience --> Increased levels of global consumption --> Increased demand for g/s --> Increased growth for business --> Finance managers must effectively manage cash-flow to ensure there isn't supply-chain issues. This is somewhere you can back up with stats, Eg. NAB Consumer Confidence Index, Global Economic Growth etc

2. Availability of funds was pretty straightforward as well, and you can just talk about the deregulation of financial systems as well as the payments revolution.

3. Interest rates was the meat of my essay and something that could easily push you to the upper band 6 range - Not only could you talk about the low interest rate environment, but also how the role of financial management has shifted Eg. Increasing focus on corporate buybacks following rising boardroom pressure, tightened corporate governance, and the recent rise in protectionist policies from Trump's Tariffs (Increased protection --> Reduced competition --> Businesses become complacent and instead of re-investing funds back into R&D/Employee Training, it decides to prop up its stock price). If you wanted to be extra spicy you can also extend it back to how it effects the global economic outlook [Increase in corporate buybacks --> Fuels the rise in stock prices (as seen in the 10year bull market with major indexes at all time highs) --> marginally positive effect on consumer confidence and consumption --> improved global economic outlook].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information