Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jelena_nina2001

Thread: Will i fail at life?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    1

    Question Will i fail at life?

    Hey peeps, so i havent taken any maths through to hsc and am really worried my life will be crap and that i wont get into many careers becayuse of it. i want to do a commerce or law degree at uow and i know that commerce there does not require maths but what if it does and i am screwed. i also feel so dumb because my subjects are considred dropkick subjects:
    eng ad
    business
    eco
    society and culture
    cafs
    ancient

    what do you guys think? i am just sooooo lost rn, soz for the rant....plz help!
    Last edited by BLIT2014; 2 Dec 2018 at 6:35 AM. Reason: Original Question reposted. Users should make a new thread in the appropriate forums for subject related enquiries.

  2. #2
    Member supR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    361
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    The HSC srsly means piss all on the rest of your life - I could go into super detail about it but don't worry too much, UoW would tell you early if the rules were to change. Just try your best in your subjects, and that'll result in the marks you need to get in. Honestly early entry is also an option, and typically everyone gets in that way.
    2017-2018: ATAR - 98.50

    2019-2022: USYD - Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Dalyell)

  3. #3
    Senior Member jazz519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    888
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelena_nina2001 View Post
    Hey peeps, so i havent taken any maths through to hsc and am really worried my life will be crap and that i wont get into many careers becayuse of it. i want to do a commerce or law degree at uow and i know that commerce there does not require maths but what if it does and i am screwed. i also feel so dumb because my subjects are considred dropkick subjects:
    eng ad
    business
    eco
    society and culture
    cafs
    ancient

    what do you guys think? i am just sooooo lost rn, soz for the rant....plz help!
    Even if there is maths required it doesn't mean it's going be insanely difficult maths. Whatever you need they will teach you, you just have to have an open mind and be willing to learn. It might take more time for you in the subject to understand the maths basis that's within it, but if you are dedicated enough to learn it, it's not impossible. All just a matter of your perspective on it and there are bridging courses you can do, and these days you can also learn a lot of stuff online from youtube and other places
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    Tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-tutoring.html
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux
    2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    Quote Originally Posted by supR View Post
    The HSC srsly means piss all on the rest of your life - I could go into super detail about it but don't worry too much, UoW would tell you early if the rules were to change. Just try your best in your subjects, and that'll result in the marks you need to get in. Honestly early entry is also an option, and typically everyone gets in that way.
    thanks so much

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    Quote Originally Posted by jazz519 View Post
    Even if there is maths required it doesn't mean it's going be insanely difficult maths. Whatever you need they will teach you, you just have to have an open mind and be willing to learn. It might take more time for you in the subject to understand the maths basis that's within it, but if you are dedicated enough to learn it, it's not impossible. All just a matter of your perspective on it and there are bridging courses you can do, and these days you can also learn a lot of stuff online from youtube and other places
    so true never thought of that

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    If there are any maths components that you are struggling with, I'm sure you could transfer into Arts/Law (assuming you want to be a lawyer) or any other combined Law degree that takes your fancy. I think UoW has a PPE/Law degree which might interest you considering the subjects you take.
    Preliminary 2018: English Advanced | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Economics | Physics | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I
    HSC 2019: English Standard | Maths Ext 1 | Maths Ext 2 | Economics | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

  7. #7
    Webmaster brent012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,700
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    You've done 11 years of maths, you can catch up on anything relevant to your studies/career from that 2 years of missed maths study pretty quickly.

    You will need maths for commerce, but what level depends on the major you are studying. Even first year subjects (accounting, finance, economics and stats) will require you to be quite proficient with basic algebra, performing calculations, probabilities, fractions/percentages, interpreting if a calculation is correct etc. But if you do a major such as finance or economics, you will need to know some more advanced maths that isn't covered pre-year11/12 or in general maths (e.g. calculus, matrices and regression analysis for stuff like portfolio theory and study of CAPM theory in finance).

    As has been covered above, you could avoid doing commerce, but I think the basic maths i've mentioned above is actually the type of maths that is useful in everyday scenarios so is valuable to get comfortable with if you aren't already.
    ~

  8. #8
    Existential Crisis InsoulvencyReaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    787
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    Hiya Jelena,

    I did a commerce degree, majored in accounting/business law and did not do maths in Year 11/12. I completed Business, Legal, Modern History, History Extension, English Advanced, English Extension and Music for the HSC; I'd say they were pretty "floaty," but doing what I liked, made the HSC that bit easier. My thought processes were that I needed to get into university. If I were to do maths, well, I would not have gotten in. Haha!

    I can confirm, as a person who is not the most numerate, first year finance/statistics were hard for me (I completed first year statistics in my final semester and it was not pleasant); but perseverance is key. I made it eventually. If you choose to do commerce, believe me, you can do it too.
    Last edited by InsoulvencyReaper; 2 Dec 2018 at 9:15 PM.
    B Business, Accounting and Business Law - UTS (Graduate of 2018) #SerialTransferee #EternalStudent #UACHallofFame

  9. #9
    real human bean Absolutezero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,105
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    The only math you may have a little difficultly with at UoW Commerce would be the economics, finance and accounting mandatory first-year subjects. As long as you work hard in those classes, you'll be fine, and then you can move into a major more focused towards your skills e..g Marketing, Management, etc.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    103
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    Quote Originally Posted by InsoulvencyReaper View Post
    Hiya Jelena,

    I did a commerce degree, majored in accounting/business law and did not do maths in Year 11/12. I completed Business, Legal, Modern History, History Extension, English Advanced, English Extension and Music for the HSC; I'd say they were pretty "floaty," but doing what I liked, made the HSC that bit easier. My thought processes were that I needed to get into university. If I were to do maths, well, I would not have gotten in. Haha!

    I can confirm, as a person who is not the most numerate, first year finance/statistics were hard for me (I completed first year statistics in my final semester and it was not pleasant); but perseverance is key. I made it eventually. If you choose to do commerce, believe me, you can do it too.
    thanks soooo much omg cannot tell u how much this means to hear that someone actually did what i can only dream of

  11. #11
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    10,445
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelena_nina2001 View Post
    thanks soooo much omg cannot tell u how much this means to hear that someone actually did what i can only dream of
    Woolongong may also have PAL/PASS sessions which are extra student run extra revision sessions for subjects like finance or statistics.
    l’appel du vide


    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Will i fail at life?

    The HSC is not your life and life doesn't end with the HSC. It's seriously NOT the be all and end all so don't beat yourself up over it.

    You can always do a bridging course if you don't get the mark you're after, plus you can still do a commerce degree. Definitely don't need maths for a law degree (depends on the kind of law your thinking of I guess).

    Are you just wanting to do a commerce/law degree because it seems prestigious? Because your HSC subjects (which by there way are not dropkick...) seem to be more on the humanities stream...so many more cool degrees out there!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •