Thread: Normanhurst boys high entrance test 2019

HSC

Normanhurst boys high entrance test 2019

Hi all,
    I am considering in applying for Normanhurst boys high school for2019 and so I have a few questions about the test and m,y reports.
    - What is in the math test. It problem solving or is it set out like a yearly/half yearly exam. Also, would it be 5.3 level maths?
    - Is the comprehension section just all multiple choice question does it have some short answer questions?
    - I only got 2A's in my yearly report but I know that for Normanhurst you only have to hand in your half-yearly report for the current year. Is that true?
    - For the extra achievement I have, CLean up Aus day x3, Australian math comp proficient and credit, Chess x 3, Grade sport, and around two more things. Would this be enough?

HSC

Re: Normanhurst boys high entrance test 2019

Hi, the Normanhurst Boys High School Entrance Test has two papers, English and Maths. Both are 45 minutes and looking at your HSC year, I believe you're going for Year 11 Entrance?

Maths is definitely 5.3, you need to know most of the Year 10 Maths content. It is set like a formal exam, with Year 10 content so not much problem solving.

For English, there are two sections, comprehension and writing composition.
    Comprehension is all short answer, generally around two passages. Questions revolve more on word analysis (techniques, expression, you know, the usual Year 10 short answer stuff) rather than basic comprehension questions like (What did little Johnny do when he exited the door?).

The writing composition part will either be a persuasive text (What book would you recommend the school to add to their English curriculum and why if you were to write to the head of English at [insert school name]?) or a creative (Write a story based on someone having a new experience that radically changed their life view). It's worth about half if not more of the English paper so it's definitely important.

Normanhurst, at least from last year, required two reports, the previous yearly report and the recent half yearly report.

Extra achievements should also include some extra-curricular activities preferably, but you could always create a portfolio for yourself (good practice for later in life too!) that includes everything you've done since year 8 or so (awards, achievements and activities).

Hope this helps and good luck!

HSC

Re: Normanhurst boys high entrance test 2019

I know this question is kind of late but how should I be studying for the comprehension part of the exam. Is it easier than icas or harder in difficulty

HSC

Lightbulb Re: Normanhurst boys high entrance test 2019

Quote Originally Posted by kittykit View Post
    I know this question is kind of late but how should I be studying for the comprehension part of the exam. Is it easier than icas or harder in difficulty
    To be honest, comprehension is hard to study for. I personally have not done an ICAS English Comprehension before so I can't compare to that. But what I can say is that you need to be ready to write decent short answers. Study different literacy techniques such as metaphor, alliteration, symbolism.. etc and how they apply or are used.
    Questions may appear as such:

How has the author used [technique] to make the text more engaging/interesting/confronting?

or

Name three techniques the author has used to show [something] and justify.

Good Luck!

Thread Information