Thread: UNSW Acturial Studies

HSC

UNSW Acturial Studies

Hello,

I am currently in year 12 (2019) at a school that did not offer me 4U. I completed accelerated 2U and 3U in 2018 with marks of 99/100 and 49/50 respectively. My first question is, would my mathematical knowledge from 2U and 3U be sufficient to start actuarial. My second question, which topics in 4U are directly related to the course. I understand that the problem solving skills and analytical element of 4U is valuable but due to my circumstance I do not have access to this. I know that some topics are not directly useful like mechanics where others like complex numbers are needed. In terms of the other topics what will i need to go over before UNI if i decide to go with the course.

thank you.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: UNSW Acturial Studies

Quote Originally Posted by drizzzzzy View Post
    Hello,

I am currently in year 12 (2019) at a school that did not offer me 4U. I completed accelerated 2U and 3U in 2018 with marks of 99/100 and 49/50 respectively. My first question is, would my mathematical knowledge from 2U and 3U be sufficient to start actuarial. My second question, which topics in 4U are directly related to the course. I understand that the problem solving skills and analytical element of 4U is valuable but due to my circumstance I do not have access to this. I know that some topics are not directly useful like mechanics where others like complex numbers are needed. In terms of the other topics what will i need to go over before UNI if i decide to go with the course.

thank you.
    Apart from your first year maths units, you wont encounter complex numbers in actuarial subjects or if you do you've probably made a dangerous error
    3rd Year Applied Finance/Actuarial Studies @ MQ
    GPA 6.77 WAM 87%
    Part 1's: CT1,CT2, CT3,1/2 CT5,CT7

HSC
    N/A

Yeh I don't think there's any degrees which require 4u maths. Even the most hardcore quantitative degrees would at most just require basic knowledge of complex numbers, which isn't hard to pick up.
    Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer (Full-time)
    HSC Mathematics Teacher (Part-time)

M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University)
    M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
    B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
    B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

HSC
    Uni Grad

In saying that you could learn some integration and vectors in your spare time but everything you need will be covered at uni.
    3rd Year Applied Finance/Actuarial Studies @ MQ
    GPA 6.77 WAM 87%
    Part 1's: CT1,CT2, CT3,1/2 CT5,CT7

Thread Information