2024 ECONOMICS HSC PAGE (AIMING TO GET 96+ MARKS) (1 Viewer)

spacecats

HSC
hey guys!

im aiming to get 96+ in eco his yr and was wondering does anyone who did well have any tips and tricks for eco (like how to study and stuff, how to memeorise, how to write essays, what news to read and which sites)

ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXEMPLAR FULL MARK ESSAYS THEY ARE WILLING TO SHARE PLEASE

Last edited:

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
afr is pre good, so is the companies research websites (I used commbank, jp morgan etc) and also bloomburg

doing good in your essays is pretty handy if you wanna do well

gotta say though 96+ in eco is pretty hard ... I admire your aspirations though

hubin

HSC
Hey, hope holidays have been great. I got a 97 in eco, ranking first in a top selective school so I feel like I can give some tips and tricks that might help you.

How I studied: Not going to lie, I wasn't the type of guy who'd use the textbook and make really lengthy and detailed notes. Didn't really see the point of it as you'd just be rewriting the textbook. So absolutely minimal notes from the Dixon textbook although I did read it before class and made annotations.

Instead, I read widely. I read news articles from SMH about the stage three tax cuts (for instance) on my way to school. I took the train everyday so the quiet time by myself came in handy. I also read journals from JSTOR, or other economists online. Did I like Economics? Probably but that wasn't the point. The more I read, I was able to mimic their voice so my written expression for eco became really good and hence achieving highly in essays through yr 12.

Another important tip I'd give you is start writing your essays early (start now!!). Memorising essays is hard but by the time you approach trials, you should know the structure and key examples, points heck even stats for your main paragraphs. Own the essay. By the end of yr 12 I had like 30 essays and yes it was a pain staying in libraries till 11 finishing them off, but it was still rewarding.

Write your essays using an appropriate structure. Now it varies from question, but I really liked going chronologically and applying theory. So something like monetary policy, I'd definitely do chronological and ask yourself questions like "why did the RBA increase the cash rate for the eleventh consecutive time" and then follow up "was it effective" "so what.. and what" ect. You find that with eco it's all about cause and effect and if you can master the art of being precise and expressive, 97 would come as a breeze.

Also challenge yourself with niche economic theorems, graphs that the average-good eco student would not write. Things like J curve, crowding out effect, safe haven effect, Dutch disease, Kuznets curve ect. are good to add because it shows you actually have depth to your understanding of eco.

Hope this helps. Don't stress it, stay humble and keep earnestly searching for more theorems, links between concepts. Welcome to share more.

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
Hey, hope holidays have been great. I got a 97 in eco, ranking first in a top selective school so I feel like I can give some tips and tricks that might help you.

How I studied: Not going to lie, I wasn't the type of guy who'd use the textbook and make really lengthy and detailed notes. Didn't really see the point of it as you'd just be rewriting the textbook. So absolutely minimal notes from the Dixon textbook although I did read it before class and made annotations.

Instead, I read widely. I read news articles from SMH about the stage three tax cuts (for instance) on my way to school. I took the train everyday so the quiet time by myself came in handy. I also read journals from JSTOR, or other economists online. Did I like Economics? Probably but that wasn't the point. The more I read, I was able to mimic their voice so my written expression for eco became really good and hence achieving highly in essays through yr 12.

Another important tip I'd give you is start writing your essays early (start now!!). Memorising essays is hard but by the time you approach trials, you should know the structure and key examples, points heck even stats for your main paragraphs. Own the essay. By the end of yr 12 I had like 30 essays and yes it was a pain staying in libraries till 11 finishing them off, but it was still rewarding.

Write your essays using an appropriate structure. Now it varies from question, but I really liked going chronologically and applying theory. So something like monetary policy, I'd definitely do chronological and ask yourself questions like "why did the RBA increase the cash rate for the eleventh consecutive time" and then follow up "was it effective" "so what.. and what" ect. You find that with eco it's all about cause and effect and if you can master the art of being precise and expressive, 97 would come as a breeze.

Also challenge yourself with niche economic theorems, graphs that the average-good eco student would not write. Things like J curve, crowding out effect, safe haven effect, Dutch disease, Kuznets curve ect. are good to add because it shows you actually have depth to your understanding of eco.

Hope this helps. Don't stress it, stay humble and keep earnestly searching for more theorems, links between concepts. Welcome to share more.
essay plans to memorise or full on essays

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Do eco para's need link sentences? Is "Also a low economic multiplier during COVID with a Household Savings Ratio of 23.6% in June 2020 may have reduced JobSeeker's efficiency, as households leaked money that could have been injected into the economy" good enough to finish the para or do I need smthn more explicit?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
afr is pre good, so is the companies research websites (I used commbank, jp morgan etc) and also bloomburg

doing good in your essays is pretty handy if you wanna do well

gotta say though 96+ in eco is pretty hard ... I admire your aspirations though
btw this man state ranked eco, i have his address, date of birth, ancestry etc. so if you want these details to re-engineer your genetic build hmu (selling each for 200 indian rupees)

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Do eco para's need link sentences? Is "Also a low economic multiplier during COVID with a Household Savings Ratio of 23.6% in June 2020 may have reduced JobSeeker's efficiency, as households leaked money that could have been injected into the economy" good enough to finish the para or do I need smthn more explicit?
i always ended with some sort of ‘close off sentence’ and make sure it flows from one para to the next. I would say what you’ve done is fine but I might chance ‘also’ to ‘however’ or something similar.

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
How would u write a thesis statement for this question: "Explain the causes of inflation and analyse policies to respond to it". I did a practise run of the question but just kinda did a definition of inflation, then went straight into signposting my body paras, but idk if this is enough. Do u need a thesis for this sorta question?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
How would u write a thesis statement for this question: "Explain the causes of inflation and analyse policies to respond to it". I did a practise run of the question but just kinda did a definition of inflation, then went straight into signposting my body paras, but idk if this is enough. Do u need a thesis for this sorta question?
I’d say what you did is fine

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
efwefwefew.PNG
can someone explain this one? the answer is D

bruhmoment.

HSC
Hey guys,

Just had a question regarding this eco question which i got given : Analyse the impact of globalisation on the living standards in the global economy.

Now i know, this is where my paras have to be about trade flows, financial flows and FDIs, investment, blah blah blah, but im still unsure if im on the right track

Can someone explain the question and provide a simple essay plan for this question, thanks 😀

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)