4u integration (1 Viewer)

Susu123

HSC
when i want to use this integral formula in the ext 2 hsc, if it comes up, am i supposed to derive it or can i just memorise this and use it
1713157368835.png

liamkk112

HSC
when i want to use this integral formula in the ext 2 hsc, if it comes up, am i supposed to derive it or can i just memorise this and use it
View attachment 42911
well im pretty sure this will not come up on the hsc since it's out of syllabus, the way you derive it is through hyperbolic trig substitutions but obv thats not in the syllabus. if on the very rare occassion that you're asked it on the hsc you can always quote the result and differentiate the log to show the integral is correct, but again u prob won't be asked this

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
well im pretty sure this will not come up on the hsc since it's out of syllabus, the way you derive it is through hyperbolic trig substitutions but obv thats not in the syllabus. if on the very rare occassion that you're asked it on the hsc you can always quote the result and differentiate the log to show the integral is correct, but again u prob won't be asked this
wait can't you derive it using trig sub?

Susu123

HSC
ahh ok makes sense, thanks! i might get it in trails, since my school expects me to know this, so ill just confirm that with my teacher

liamkk112

HSC
ahh ok makes sense, thanks! i might get it in trails, since my school expects me to know this, so ill just confirm that with my teacher
if it’s in internals you’re probably fine just quoting the result, but it’s good to double check obv yea

liamkk112

HSC
u can try but im not sure it would work, u get some difficult integrals that might be impossible/super hard
hyperbolic trig is the standard way to do it tho
actually u can do them but u need to know integral of sec, which is annoying

QualityHSC

HSC
You can also reverse engineer the result by multiplying both num and denom by x/sqrt(x^2+a^2) + 1

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It’s not in syllabus anymore so at best you will be asked to derive the result (you shouldn’t be quoting it) under today’s syllabus. It can be derived normally by trig substitution. This is for the external HSC btw, but your school can make up their own rules on what is allowed for internals which may or may not align to the actual HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)