arts major: sociology or philosophy? (1 Viewer)

rainnwind

HSC
I am doing B com/ arts (first year) and planning to major in Jap. I am not sure which one should I study for the other arts major though... sociology or philosophy?
I read the handbook's description but still don't really know what to expect from these two courses... So can anyone give me an idea of how hard is it & the workload...?

Thanks.

Linear

HSC
I did sociology and anthropology in my first year as well as a bit of philosophy. Personally, I think philosophy would be more worth your time because it encourages you to think about things in a more versatile way. Sociology and anthropology seemed very bludgy to me, although maybe I just didn't take enough interest in the content. You asked about the studyload. I think philosophy has a bigger study load because the readings are more necessary than those in sociology & anthropology. Also because the philosophy readings are more complex so it takes a little longer to comprehend. I'm currently doing history and philosophy of science, which I like better than both sociology & anthropology and philosophy. But I am doing science/arts so I might just like it more because it complements my science degree more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)