b. psych (honours) qn (1 Viewer)

breadcrumbs

HSC
hello!

i'm currently a yr12 student looking to apply for the bachelor of psychology (honours) at usyd. however, i'm not sure if ill be able to achieve the 96 atar needed for it.

what exactly is the difference between getting into the bachelor of psychology degree and the bachelor of psychology (honours) degree?
how will getting into the integrated honours degree benefit me in comparison only getting into the 3yr bachelors degree?
will i still need to achieve the marks required in uni if i happen to get into the integrated honours degree?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are two differences between a Bachelor of Psychology and a Bachelor of Psychology (Honours), one being related to the education that you receive and the other being related to employment outcomes.

First, a Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) includes an Honours component that the Bachelor of Psychology does not. As you may already be aware, an Honours component is an additional year during which students undertake a research project targeting a relevant topic that they are interested in. At USyd, I believe that the length for an Honours thesis in psychology is 15000+ words (perhaps someone else could confirm this). Regardless of the word limit, an Honours year constitutes a great learning opportunity because not only would you be engaging in substantial learning about a particular topic, but you would also learn the basics of effective research.

Second, completing the Honours component is required as a step within a complex path to becoming a psychologist. The Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) satisfies the requirement for registration as a provisional psychologist, which the Bachelor of Psychology does not. Of course, this does not mean that the Bachelor of Psychology does not lead to any employment opportunities. A significant number of psychology graduates end up leading a career in fields such as human resources. However, if your goal is to eventually become a clinical psychologist and obtain general registration, then you will need to adhere to the path that I mentioned. After the Honours year, you can subsequently study a postgraduate degree, such as a Master of Clinical Psychology or a PhD, which satisfied general registration requirements.

Regarding your last question, the answer is yes. Admission to the Honours year is competitive and requires you to maintain favourable academic performance. In terms of USyd, entry into Honours in Psychology is based solely on academic performance in the second-year and third-year psychology (PSYC) units. The threshold for receiving a place has typically been 75+.

I hope this helps! 😄

breadcrumbs

HSC
thank you! this helped a lot. one last qn, will i still be able to get into honours if i only get into the bachelor of psychology?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
thank you! this helped a lot. one last qn, will i still be able to get into honours if i only get into the bachelor of psychology?
No worries! Yes, you can definitely still receive an offer for Honours if you study a Bachelor of Psychology. I think that the only difference is that an application is not required in addition to favourable academic performance in the case of the Bachelor of Psychology (Honours), whereas an application is required in addition to favourable academic performance in the case of the Bachelor of Psychology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)