biology/modern or english extension (1 Viewer)

study_student13

HSC
I go to a pretty good school (top 20 selective) and I'm not sure whether I should take english extension or biology. Right now I do 13 units and 2 accelerated so in year 12 I'll have 11 units. However, that is assuming I don't pick up extension 2 maths which I might. I wanted to originally drop modern and pick up english extension instead but I'm ranked high for modern and in my previous bio tests i have always been slightly above average. But I also do chemistry and everyone in my school does bio with chem and I like bio too. However, english ext scales well and its more free periods but i've heard its a lot of work for one unit. But since english is mandatory for the hsc and i'm currently doing advanced (my english scores are also a little above average) I might as well do extension english over bio right idk

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I go to a pretty good school (top 20 selective) and I'm not sure whether I should take english extension or biology. Right now I do 13 units and 2 accelerated so in year 12 I'll have 11 units. However, that is assuming I don't pick up extension 2 maths which I might. I wanted to originally drop modern and pick up english extension instead but I'm ranked high for modern and in my previous bio tests i have always been slightly above average. But I also do chemistry and everyone in my school does bio with chem and I like bio too. However, english ext scales well and its more free periods but i've heard its a lot of work for one unit. But since english is mandatory for the hsc and i'm currently doing advanced (my english scores are also a little above average) I might as well do extension english over bio right idk
I would say since neither modern or bio or eng ext really are assumed knowledge toward any course in uni pick the one that you're not only the best at, but also the one you're genuinely interested in. I didn't do eng ext but I did pick bio over english extension in y10 last minute (swapped it out) and did bio and modern. bio is a lot of content and I was quickly demotivated with it because the teachers I had were so strict with marking and I hated a chunk of the content ngl so I didn't put as much effort as I had initially hoped to. modern is also a ton of content and a bit of work but if you genuinely enjoy the topics your school picks for you, it will be a smooth sailing subject - as a bonus I've found that modern helped me a lot with my essay skills for english advanced and vice versa even tho they don't have too much significant overlap (overall they were my best two subjects too). but if you don't like modern it can prove to be a bit of a slog - ik many in y10 picked it thinking it would be a fun bludge like history elective but with the added work they hated it and dropped it immediately at the end of y11. all three of the subjects you mentioned are a ton of work - but imo the extent and commitment to those subjects is also dependent on your interest. I've heard from many of my friends who did eng ext that while eng ext was easier and much more fun and interesting than advanced it was a lot more work with critical readings and work to do outside of class cos they only had classes once or twice a week

carrotsss

HSC
I would say since neither modern or bio or eng ext really are assumed knowledge toward any course in uni pick the one that you're not only the best at, but also the one you're genuinely interested in. I didn't do eng ext but I did pick bio over english extension in y10 last minute (swapped it out) and did bio and modern. bio is a lot of content and I was quickly demotivated with it because the teachers I had were so strict with marking and I hated a chunk of the content ngl so I didn't put as much effort as I had initially hoped to. modern is also a ton of content and a bit of work but if you genuinely enjoy the topics your school picks for you, it will be a smooth sailing subject - as a bonus I've found that modern helped me a lot with my essay skills for english advanced and vice versa even tho they don't have too much significant overlap (overall they were my best two subjects too). but if you don't like modern it can prove to be a bit of a slog - ik many in y10 picked it thinking it would be a fun bludge like history elective but with the added work they hated it and dropped it immediately at the end of y11. all three of the subjects you mentioned are a ton of work - but imo the extent and commitment to those subjects is also dependent on your interest. I've heard from many of my friends who did eng ext that while eng ext was easier and much more fun and interesting than advanced it was a lot more work with critical readings and work to do outside of class cos they only had classes once or twice a week
help why does it look like ur shouting

study_student13

HSC
thank youu! im good at memorisation (short term which is why I wanted to do modern history). I thought it would be better to take 3U eng, 3U maths and then bio chem for the hsc tho over chem modern history? Idk the teacher says roughly around 50% of kids in my school get band 6s for 3U eng. Is it worth it to drop bio even tho bio chem is a good combo?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
thank youu! im good at memorisation (short term which is why I wanted to do modern history). I thought it would be better to take 3U eng, 3U maths and then bio chem for the hsc tho over chem modern history? Idk the teacher says roughly around 50% of kids in my school get band 6s for 3U eng. Is it worth it to drop bio even tho bio chem is a good combo?
there's not really a 'better' combo (i did chem + modern + bio, but chem and modern counted toward my atar while bio didn't) i think it's just up to what you're good at and also what you wanna do for uni to a smaller extent, so in the end as long as you do well in those subjects which all have decent scaling you should be fine atar-wise too. usually there's always a very high % of e4s for extension subjects like eng and maths cos usually the people who take those subjects are already good at eng/math, at my school i think the same proportion of kids if not a bit more than yours also got an e4 but i don't remember the exact numbers whoops. and just because people do bio with chem doesn't mean you have to as well - chem on its own is also a fine choice, try not to be influenced by everyone around you and pick what you think will help you the most, what you like to do and what will allow you to do well

study_student13

HSC
there's not really a 'better' combo (i did chem + modern + bio, but chem and modern counted toward my atar while bio didn't) i think it's just up to what you're good at and also what you wanna do for uni to a smaller extent, so in the end as long as you do well in those subjects which all have decent scaling you should be fine atar-wise too. usually there's always a very high % of e4s for extension subjects like eng and maths cos usually the people who take those subjects are already good at eng/math, at my school i think the same proportion of kids if not a bit more than yours also got an e4 but i don't remember the exact numbers whoops. and just because people do bio with chem doesn't mean you have to as well - chem on its own is also a fine choice, try not to be influenced by everyone around you and pick what you think will help you the most, what you like to do and what will allow you to do well
thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)