Distinction Courses, Doing it? Done it? (1 Viewer)

Amaybro

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone 'out there' on BoS has done/is planning on doing distnction courses... and any information they have on whether it was worth it etc.

I'm considering (and probably will) do the Philosophy Distinction course if i make it in... I'm interested greatly in philosophy in general but do not know if the structure of the course is good...

Any feedback?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I'm applying for Cosmology, should be able to make it, although I don't know if that's going to happen. I've got some good info on the course from Bookie and webby234, who have done the Cosmology course this year, just PM for information.

Who is going to the Information Day this year?

sweet fairy

HSC
What's a distinction course and how come some people get to do it? Is it because u did accelerated stuff and finished part of ur HSC early or just super smart?

HSC
N/A
I'm going to apply for cosmology in year 12 (accelerating ag).

I know there's heaps of work on top of everything in year 12 but I don't care.

The website's got good info, I printed all that stuff out.

Amaybro

HSC
Bookie said:
Care to elaborate?

Anyway i should see the rest of you guys there as well! :)

Anyone know an approximate mark required to get into the course? I can imagine it would be high but how high? and how important is the rest of your report (i.e. the year 11) in the process?

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Amaybro said:
Care to elaborate?

Anyway i should see the rest of you guys there as well! :)

Anyone know an approximate mark required to get into the course? I can imagine it would be high but how high? and how important is the rest of your report (i.e. the year 11) in the process?
90s for most 2u subjects, perhaps a bit less if your doing 4u, which youre not. just try get >95 in your maths and relatively high in VA. cant give you exact. they may take in your year 11 report, but if thats the case im very lucky (my report was shit and i only did 2u maths)

Amaybro

HSC
Thanks for the info guys! I probably won't get >90 for maths because i ruined the trial (absoutely blew the test counting for 100% of school assesment) but hoping for >95 in the art hsc and a total VA atleast 90+... Art can be very subjective though so i can never be sure :(

EDIT: I was asking about the prelim report because i achieved good marks in extension english (100%) which, relied on a philosophic basis (ways of thinking - the way the world changes) which i was hoping might show the assesors my aptitude and interest in philosophy.
I know my HSC marks for this year will have to speak for themselves :bomb: but if they fall just a bit short I'm hoping they will consider this mark too.

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Your school gives you a test that solely counts for your internal mark? :O

Anyhow, good luck Amaybro :) Hope you make it in :D

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Well I know that the extension maths class at my school that isn't accelerating has their entire report mark determined by one exam, but it's not as bad as it counting for the HSC assessment ranks and marks.

I'd wish Amaybro luck, if he was going for Cosmology, but since he's going for Philosophy, I won't.

Jokes :) Good luck :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)