Don't get this inequality square bs (1 Viewer)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
If I got (x-2)^2 < 0 what do I say?? Theres no solution?

And also if I got the something like (x-3)(x-1)(x-2)^2 <0 -> do I neglect the "(x-2)^2" because the answer to this inequality is 1<x<3

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
Do I just neglect it? and if I was doing it as a question what would I do? Cross it out or how would u specify that it doesnt work (IDONTWHATIMSAYING 😭

liamkk112

HSC

And also if I got the something like (x-3)(x-1)(x-2)^2 <0 -> do I neglect the "(x-2)^2" because the answer to this inequality is 1<x<3
yes there’s no solution because (x-2)^2 is strictly non negative so it’s impossible for it to be negative (in the reals)

for the second part draw the graph and it should make sense

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
yes there’s no solution because (x-2)^2 is strictly non negative so it’s impossible for it to be negative (in the reals)

for the second part draw the graph and it should make sense
TYY soo how would I 'say it' in my working out?? Like if I got something like (x-3)(x+1)(x-2)^2 <0 do I just cross it out or how do you specify that...( I make no sense ik 😭

kkk579

hello
HSC
TYY soo how would I 'say it' in my working out?? Like if I got something like (x-3)(x+1)(x-2)^2 <0 do I just cross it out or how do you specify that...( I make no sense ik 😭
Draw the graph of the polynomial first then take all the required regions, then you wont need to explain why you "crossed" out things

Luukas.2

HSC

For the first question, there is no solution to because a real term squared can never be negative.

For the second question, the answer is wrong.

At the expression and so the inequality is NOT true at

The solution is actually

or, in interval notation

As others have suggested, this can be seen by sketching the polynomial . Desmos will give you a sketch if you need to check with it.

Had the question been then the solution would be or, in interval notation, as the polynomial being at when would not be an exception to , as it was for the strict inequality

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)