eng ext literary worlds (1 Viewer)

commett

HSC
hii im doing eng ext this year and im not really sure how to approach an analytical response on literary worlds. I dont really understand how to use theories and what the overall structure of my response should be. Should i be analysing the texts provided in the exam in my response or just drawing from the ideas?? Does anyone have any tips or sample responses?

may22

HSC
I assume when you're talking about literary worlds you're referring to the unseen section (Section 1) that will come in the exam.
Treat it like an extension of short responses in advanced eng. The critical responses tend to be longer in extension (and could be worth 10, 15 or 20 marks).

Start with your broad thesis statement linking to literary worlds, and then have a second statement more direct to the question/unseen text. You should use quotes from the text provided and analyse them because this will build on to your thesis. You don't necessarily need to include critical theories for your unseen text, but it can be done if you want (I've seen exemplar responses with and without critical theories - it's more important in your essay as it's based on texts you have spent the whole year breaking down and drawing connections between them).

As for structure, you're quite free with it. You obviously need that intro statement and a concluding statement, but how you spread out your paragraphs is up to you, as long as it's cohesive. Again, depending on how many marks it's worth, the length of your response will vary. It's always a good idea to jot down a quick plan of how you want to respond to the question, and how you will use the text.

Hope this helps :)

commett

HSC
I assume when you're talking about literary worlds you're referring to the unseen section (Section 1) that will come in the exam.
Treat it like an extension of short responses in advanced eng. The critical responses tend to be longer in extension (and could be worth 10, 15 or 20 marks).

Start with your broad thesis statement linking to literary worlds, and then have a second statement more direct to the question/unseen text. You should use quotes from the text provided and analyse them because this will build on to your thesis. You don't necessarily need to include critical theories for your unseen text, but it can be done if you want (I've seen exemplar responses with and without critical theories - it's more important in your essay as it's based on texts you have spent the whole year breaking down and drawing connections between them).

As for structure, you're quite free with it. You obviously need that intro statement and a concluding statement, but how you spread out your paragraphs is up to you, as long as it's cohesive. Again, depending on how many marks it's worth, the length of your response will vary. It's always a good idea to jot down a quick plan of how you want to respond to the question, and how you will use the text.

Hope this helps :)
thank youu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)