Extension 1 Math (1 Viewer)

iane

HSC
Hi guys quick question, currently in Extension 1 Math, I was wondering if I don’t do well in exams does the teacher have the ability to forcibly send me down to advanced. Some people have told me that if I get really bad like 50-60% the teachers will sit you down and strongly advise you to drop but they can’t forcibly drop you against your own wishes. But if you still wish to stay in the course they can’t do anything about it. Is that right?

Thanks.

Chiprr

HSC
Hi guys quick question, currently in Extension 1 Math, I was wondering if I don’t do well in exams does the teacher have the ability to forcibly send me down to advanced. Some people have told me that if I get really bad like 50-60% the teachers will sit you down and strongly advise you to drop but they can’t forcibly drop you against your own wishes. But if you still wish to stay in the course they can’t do anything about it. Is that right?

Thanks.
My school heavily encouraged some people to drop (they averaged like 60% throughout the year). My school also gives us an atar estimate based on our year 11 marks and what that usually translates to in year 12. Most of those who were encouraged to drop were going to be negatively affected by it and so the scaling boost wouldn't help them (afaik). 1 or 2 chose to stick it out and got like 40% or less on the first y12 task.

I think if the teachers are encouraging you to drop and you're still willing to put in effort, the extra time towards other class and a greater focus on advanced could beneficial. I think my school did that with some advanced kids to drop stop standard and they could b6 fairly easily.

iane

HSC
Thanks. I was just wondering though why does schools not want a lot of people in extension 1 especially in year 11 where the marks don't even matter and it won't affect the school.

iane

HSC
My school heavily encouraged some people to drop (they averaged like 60% throughout the year). My school also gives us an atar estimate based on our year 11 marks and what that usually translates to in year 12. Most of those who were encouraged to drop were going to be negatively affected by it and so the scaling boost wouldn't help them (afaik). 1 or 2 chose to stick it out and got like 40% or less on the first y12 task.

I think if the teachers are encouraging you to drop and you're still willing to put in effort, the extra time towards other class and a greater focus on advanced could beneficial. I think my school did that with some advanced kids to drop stop standard and they could b6 fairly easily.
I had a friend who was doing 5.3 maths (year 10) but didn’t do very well in the test and the school just messaged his parent saying he has been dropped. And he wasn’t able to disagree with the change.

Chiprr

HSC
I had a friend who was doing 5.3 maths (year 10) but didn’t do very well in the test and the school just messaged his parent saying he has been dropped. And he wasn’t able to disagree with the change.
To be fair I'm at a top 300 school so we aren't that great that they need to be worried about numbers. We only had 19 in ext 1 in y11 and were down to 14 in year 12. The new year 11 has like 35 across 2 classes and they only want 1 for year 12 so they'll probably try to kick some people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)