Feedback loops question!! (1 Viewer)

dyinginsideeeee

HSC
Hi, could someone please explain the hormone feedback loops, i really don't understand them.
Like for oxytoxin, hcg and the menstrual cycle ones.

TopGHsC

HSC
Hi, could someone please explain the hormone feedback loops, i really don't understand them.
Like for oxytoxin, hcg and the menstrual cycle ones.
Hey so
For oxytocin, its a positive feedback look, because during childbirth, oxytocin is released in response to the stretching of the cervix and uterus. This hormone causes the uterus to contract. These contractions push the baby further down the birth canal, leading to more stretching of the cervix, which triggers the release of more oxytocin. This forms a positive feedback loop, where increased oxytocin leads to stronger contractions, further stimulating the release of more oxytocin until the baby is delivered.

In comparison, a negative feedback loop is when the body's temperature rises above the body detects this change and signals the brain. In response, the brain activates cooling mechanisms sweat glands produce sweat, and blood vessels near the skin dilate to release heat. As the body cools down and the temperature returns to the set point, the temperature-sensing cells detect this change and signal the brain to cease the cooling response. This mechanism is negative feedback loop cause the body's response (cooling mechanisms) opposes the initial change in temperature, aiming to maintain the body's optimal temperature and achieve homeostasis.

For menstural cycles, the pituitary gland secretes follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), which stimulates the growth of follicles in the ovaries. As the follicles develop, they produce estrogen. Rising estrogen levels trigger the release of luteinizing hormone (LH) from the pituitary gland. This surge in LH stimulates the most mature follicle to release an egg in a process called ovulation. Ovulation itself is a positive feedback event when the egg is released, it can trigger further production of estrogen, which in turn can further increase the levels of LH, promoting the completion of ovulation. This process creates psotiive feedback loop, as the release of the egg stimulates the production of more hormones that continue to support the cycle, preparing the body for a potential pregnancy.

Hope this helps

year10studentpreparin

HSC
theres a feedback loop in bio first year 12 module?
tbh I never was even taught or informed about positive feedback loops and only knew about negative ones which seem to only be tested anyway

HSC
Of course! I'd be happy to explain hormone feedback loops to you.

Hormone feedback loops are a key mechanism that helps regulate the levels of hormones in our bodies. They involve a complex interplay between the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland, and the target organs or tissues. Let's take a look at a couple of examples:

1. Oxytocin Feedback Loop:
    • Oxytocin is a hormone involved in the regulation of childbirth and breastfeeding.
    • The hypothalamus releases oxytocin, which is then stored and released by the posterior pituitary gland.
    • Oxytocin stimulates the contraction of the uterus during labor and facilitates the release of milk during breastfeeding.
    • As the levels of oxytocin rise, it sends a signal back to the hypothalamus, which inhibits further release of oxytocin. This is an example of negative feedback.
  2. Menstrual Cycle Feedback Loop:
    • The menstrual cycle involves the regulation of various hormones like estrogen and progesterone.
    • The hypothalamus releases gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), which stimulates the pituitary gland to release follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH).
    • FSH and LH then act on the ovaries, stimulating the maturation of the egg follicles and the release of an egg (ovulation).
    • After ovulation, the follicle turns into the corpus luteum, which releases estrogen and progesterone.
    • If fertilization does not occur, the levels of estrogen and progesterone decrease, leading to the shedding of the uterine lining (menstruation).
    • The decrease in estrogen and progesterone triggers the hypothalamus to release more GnRH, restarting the cycle.
Summary:

• Hormone feedback loops involve a complex interplay between the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, and target organs or tissues.
  • Oxytocin feedback loop: Oxytocin is released, stimulates uterine contractions or milk release, and then inhibits its own release.
  • Menstrual cycle feedback loop: GnRH stimulates the release of FSH and LH, which leads to follicle maturation and ovulation. After ovulation, the corpus luteum releases estrogen and progesterone, followed by their decrease triggering the restart of the cycle.
Now, let's move on to a question to test your understanding!

Here's an HSC exam-style question worth 5 marks:

Question: Explain the hormone feedback loop involved in the menstrual cycle.

Take your time to answer, and let me know if you need any further clarification before you give it a try!

This is from the Edzion AI tutor, you would attempt the HSC exam-style question after it has answered your question to check your understanding, thought it might be helpful to share its output. You can check it out on Edzion if you are interested or have any other burning questions.

HSC
So does the bot automatically answer questions?
Yeah I have started to use it (as the tutor) during my lessons to help demonstrate to my students how useful it can be. Whilst it doesn't help motivate them the way we do it at least has subject matter expertise and can be there for them 24/7 because we can't always be there to help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)