Help with critical theory (1 Viewer)

ltnnnn23

HSC
Hi, I’m a little confused rn with english so if anybody who knows anything about critical theories pls help!

I’m currently learning about the different critical theories like feminism, marxism etc. I’m on postcolonialism rn and i was wondering if colonialism is also a theory? I’m not getting much information on it online and many websites are saying that colonialism is just the physical act of establishing control over land. So is it not a theory in the same way postcolonialism and feminism is?

Thanks!!

wizzkids

HSC
Critical theories are a response to dissatisfaction with the current structures. Critical theories arise within the dominant culture and political structure. Therefore critical theories seek to reform or over-turn the current structures. Colonialism is not a theory because it arose through the practice of geographical exploration, economic trade and religious missionaries without any conscious guiding theory. Colonialism is not a critical theory because it did not arise out of dissatisfaction with what came before it (which was nationalism).
Feminism arose from dissatisfaction with patriarchal society and denial of womens rights and aspirations, so it is a critical theory. Feminism is guided by a worked-out alternative theory. Feminism says that the male gender maintains its dominance not because men are better political or religious leaders, but because patriarchy suppresses right of females to full and equal participation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)