help with reading paper (1 Viewer)

user18181818

HSC
hello, could someone please give me a sample response for this question - i'm struggling to find enough techniques to talk about for 6 marks.1695339454039.png
1695339444714.png

CheeseToast

HSC
Here is my attempt for a response:

Text 2 invites the reader to share the character's emotion during his experience of moving home by illustrating the personally emotional connection the character has in his individual experience of changing homes to America and the subsequent transformation into a matured individual.

The personal language "I was eleven years old at the time" establishes the personal reflection the character makes in their recollection of moving homes, and so the value this memory has in identifying themselves. Coupled with the repeated use of past tense verbs ("passed", "went", "remarried"), Text 2 emphasises the character's journey to be something of the past, and so invites the reader to do the same by connecting to their experience of moving home, knowing moving homes is a collective human experience. With the metaphor "there was a sea of lights in every direction," Text 2 illustrates the confusing excitement the character experienced in moving home into Miami, becoming drowned by the hustle and bustle of this city in beginning their transformation into a matured individual.

In presenting the character's transformation into a matured individual, Text 2's use of symbolism in the JCPenney suit represents the maturation of the character, now an adult who has succeeded in working at a respectable job. Ending with Mami's highly-modal dialogue "I know how proud your mother is right now," Text 2 establishes the transformative effect moving home has provided for the character as they are forced to adapt to unseen conditions, which being a collective human experience invites the reader to share the character's emotions in moving home.

user18181818

HSC
Here is my attempt for a response:

Text 2 invites the reader to share the character's emotion during his experience of moving home by illustrating the personally emotional connection the character has in his individual experience of changing homes to America and the subsequent transformation into a matured individual.

The personal language "I was eleven years old at the time" establishes the personal reflection the character makes in their recollection of moving homes, and so the value this memory has in identifying themselves. Coupled with the repeated use of past tense verbs ("passed", "went", "remarried"), Text 2 emphasises the character's journey to be something of the past, and so invites the reader to do the same by connecting to their experience of moving home, knowing moving homes is a collective human experience. With the metaphor "there was a sea of lights in every direction," Text 2 illustrates the confusing excitement the character experienced in moving home into Miami, becoming drowned by the hustle and bustle of this city in beginning their transformation into a matured individual.

In presenting the character's transformation into a matured individual, Text 2's use of symbolism in the JCPenney suit represents the maturation of the character, now an adult who has succeeded in working at a respectable job. Ending with Mami's highly-modal dialogue "I know how proud your mother is right now," Text 2 establishes the transformative effect moving home has provided for the character as they are forced to adapt to unseen conditions, which being a collective human experience invites the reader to share the character's emotions in moving home.
thank you! for your thesis do you have to be specific on a particular emotion? like in terms of what emotion he feels regarding moving home or can you just be broad?

CheeseToast

HSC
It would be best to be specific since it would make your reasons significantly better. Think of it his way: all texts give emotions, so to analyse on text on emotions would be EXACTLY the same for another text. However, by being specific on the emotion (e.g. disgust, anger, love), you are bringing in something UNIQUE, and so something more SOPHISTICATED. You can really stand out by being even more specific to the emotion (e.g. disgust to unusual environments, anger for being treated unfairly).

Seeing that I didn't specify what emotions the character experiences, I would say that I can improve my response by being more specific with the emotions. For example, I can improve my first sentence by stating "the character's emotions of growthful nostaglia" instead of just "character's emotions."

user18181818

HSC
It would be best to be specific since it would make your reasons significantly better. Think of it his way: all texts give emotions, so to analyse on text on emotions would be EXACTLY the same for another text. However, by being specific on the emotion (e.g. disgust, anger, love), you are bringing in something UNIQUE, and so something more SOPHISTICATED. You can really stand out by being even more specific to the emotion (e.g. disgust to unusual environments, anger for being treated unfairly).

Seeing that I didn't specify what emotions the character experiences, I would say that I can improve my response by being more specific with the emotions. For example, I can improve my first sentence by stating "the character's emotions of growthful nostaglia" instead of just "character's emotions."
that's great, thanks heaps!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)