How can I maximise my chances to transfer into Hornsby Girls? (1 Viewer)

higracehere

HSC
Hi everyone,

I am currently grade 7 in the Chatswood Selective Stream, but I want to transfer into my older sibling's school (HGHS) so I can feel a bit more comfortable with a single-sex school, have more guidance there, and probably have access to better resources there. I have also heard that going to a Selective School really helps push up your ATAR. I would really appreciate some study tips + advice, or a guide to doing the HAST exam. :)

I am aware that transferring is difficult, and sometimes there will be no spots, but I will still give it my all!

Thank you to whoever is willing to help me in my journey! 💗

Last edited:

Yes99

HSC
make sure you participate in co-curricular activities at Chatswood and build a solid portfolio with activities you enjoy in.
I didn't do HAST, so can't give you advice there, but what I will say is transfer into Year 8 is harder than transferring into Year 9, purely because there are less intakes. (although not impossible). I know a few that went into ruse or nsg from year 8 to year 9, so you will definitely have more chance sitting year 9 entry test. Unless you really hate your current school, build your portfolio this year and start preparing for HAST early next year.

higracehere

HSC
make sure you participate in co-curricular activities at Chatswood and build a solid portfolio with activities you enjoy in.
I didn't do HAST, so can't give you advice there, but what I will say is transfer into Year 8 is harder than transferring into Year 9, purely because there are less intakes. (although not impossible). I know a few that went into ruse or nsg from year 8 to year 9, so you will definitely have more chance sitting year 9 entry test. Unless you really hate your current school, build your portfolio this year and start preparing for HAST early next year.
I have joined multiple clubs and extra-curriculars that I am passionate for in the past week. Thank you for the advice! However, I've heard that HGHS doesn't allow any supporting documents, so it's just based purely on the transfer test results in order to get a spot or not. I'm not sure if the site I got it off was legitimate, but do you know anything about that?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
Hi everyone,

I am currently grade 7 in the Chatswood Selective Stream, but I want to transfer into my older sibling's school (HGHS) so I can feel a bit more comfortable with a single-sex school, have more guidance there, and probably have access to better resources there. I have also heard that going to a Selective School really helps push up your ATAR. However, because I grew up "naturally smart", I don't really know how to study properly, and I usually run off track after 1 hour of focusing. I would really appreciate some study tips + advice, or a guide to doing the HAST exam. :)

I am aware that transferring is difficult, and sometimes there will be no spots, but I will still give it my all!

Thank you to whoever is willing to help me in my journey! 💗
I'm not sure how it is from selective school culture but not being able to study might not be from growing up “naturally smart” as you say but due to the fact that you're in year 7.

Yes99

HSC
I have joined multiple clubs and extra-curriculars that I am passionate for in the past week. Thank you for the advice! However, I've heard that HGHS doesn't allow any supporting documents, so it's just based purely on the transfer test results in order to get a spot or not. I'm not sure if the site I got it off was legitimate, but do you know anything about that?
tbh I was generalising rather than being hornsby specific but if I was in your situation, I wouldn't limit myself to just hornsby.
Apply for others like sydney and north sydney girls (although they use edutest) if you are keen on girls school only, so build your portfolio.

higracehere

HSC
tbh I was generalising rather than being hornsby specific but if I was in your situation, I wouldn't limit myself to just hornsby.
Apply for others like sydney and north sydney girls (although they use edutest) if you are keen on girls school only, so build your portfolio.
I'm very interested in applying for others too. I already talked to my mum about it before but she is VERY persistent that I only do Hornsby. I really don't know the reason why.

Yes99

HSC
I'm very interested in applying for others too. I already talked to my mum about it before but she is VERY persistent that I only do Hornsby. I really don't know the reason why.
lol. is she dropping you off at school? maybe too much hassle for her to pick you and your sister up when in different school.
given that applying doesn't mean that you will get in, apply to all the schools you want and then decide if you get an offer.

if you are interested in Edutest info, read other's reply in my last year's post.

HSC
Definitely work on your GA and abstract reasoning skills, as that is where most people tend to be lacking in the HAST tests and doing well will separate you from others. However, there are quite a lot of applicants and only a few get in each year, so make sure to be well rounded in writing, reading comprehension and maths too.

Yeah you aren't allowed to submit any other materials like certificates or achievements (specifically for the hornsby girls HAST test, it was like this a few years ago but idk if its still the same), but I'm pretty sure they ask for your most recent report from your current school.

higracehere

HSC
I will! Thanks for the additional information :guitar: I'm part of the people who absolutely suck at abstract reasoning skills, but does pretty well in other subjects. I've done like multiple different abstract reasoning tests, but somehow I still always get around 22-25 out of 30 and never seem to be improving (mainly because I have skill issue)

Do you have any practice tests I can do to improve??

HSC
Personally, I used two books called
“Essential Preparation for UMAT Series Three Non-verbal Reasoning” and
“Essential Preparation for UMAT Series Four Logical Reasoning & Problem Solving”
which seemed to help quite a bit with the style of questions they had in the HAST test.
However if you could only buy one, I would recommend the Non-verbal reasoning one

You can buy both books from a five senses store but I’m not sure if they’re pricey or not
IMG_3454.jpegIMG_3455.jpeg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)