how do depth studies work (1 Viewer)

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
does this vary depending on schools? e.g, some schools go to unsw to do practicals, some schools (namely a selective school that starts with F) bypass nesa's restrictions in some weird way by just giving a qn sheet made from textbooks n whatnot, some schools get students to make a contraption by themselves (e.g a DC motor)
does presentation/scientific look matter ? i want to latex my depth study 😃[/TEX]

carrotsss

HSC
I think most schools just do an experiment in class time and then a scientific report but there are some schools that do weird stuff like presentation etc

in terms of whether to latex I’d ask your teacher, it would definitely be a good look no matter what but some teachers don’t care at all while some will

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
I think most schools just do an experiment in class time and then a scientific report but there are some schools that do weird stuff like presentation etc

in terms of whether to latex I’d ask your teacher, it would definitely be a good look no matter what but some teachers don’t care at all while some will
if i have formulae (almost a certainty) then they should look good and i want to tikz all my diagrams and make it look scientific and not js a arial/calibri word doc

carrotsss

HSC
if i have formulae (almost a certainty) then they should look good and i want to tikz all my diagrams and make it look scientific and not js a arial/calibri word doc
yeah it would definitely stand out and I can’t see it hurting you so why not

wizzkids

HSC
Every school has a different interpretation of depth studies. This is allowed. In theory, depth studies are supposed to be very diverse, and offer scope for students to pursue a topic of their own choosing, and present it in any way that is effective and scientifically valid. It is also allowed under the NESA rules for students to collaborate on their depth studies. Unfortunately, in practice every school has rejected this vision and instead they insist that all students must do the same task individually in the same way. I fully understand the reason why they do this, to make the marking fair and to ensure that students don't "bite off more than they can chew". The risks are great because it's Stage 6. I remember thinking back in 2016, when I saw depth studies in the draft syllabus, I thought this was utopian. Great in theory, but impossible to mark in practice.
With regard to presentation, originally the plan was for students to express their creativity in their presentation. A movie, a poster, a book review or a live demonstration were all considered to be valid modes. I remember sitting in a seminar discussing the "new" Physics syllabus and somebody suggested as a suitable depth study a movie review of the movie "Gravity" (2013) starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock.

Luukas.2

HSC
There are some schools that allow each student to come up with their own topic, so long as they can describe experiment(s) to answer the question they are posing and it is practicable to do. This makes for a LOT more work for the teachers, etc, and so many schools are greatly constraining the project to make it more manageable (and to facilitate comparisons between students).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)