how manageable is two extension subjects? (1 Viewer)

oot123

HSC
N/A
i think i want to do both english extension and maths extension in year 11, but one of my teachers (who is like very experienced) said that doing both extensions is not manageable and that most people cant do well with that combination.

is that true for like an average student? does it make the workload for year 11 way more heavy?

Chiprr

HSC
i think i want to do both english extension and maths extension in year 11, but one of my teachers (who is like very experienced) said that doing both extensions is not manageable and that most people cant do well with that combination.

is that true for like an average student? does it make the workload for year 11 way more heavy?
I can't speak for it personally but at least 4 people in my year 12 MX1 class do english extension 1. 1 of the 4 does MX2, another does MX1, english extension 1, and history extension. They've done pretty well, finished prelim like 5th or 6th out of groups larger than 50. I do go to a top 300 school so we aren't a great measure for anything in terms of overall results, but we usually get a few who do really well every year. I'm not sure how they'll fair once they get to external exams, but they seem to be holding up.

Also, doing english extension 1 and maths extension 1 enables you to have 12 units compared to 13 (at my school at least) if you were to do only 1 extension in year 11. You get an extra free period but almost 2 units of work from a 1 unit subject so it kind of balances out (I didn't do english extension 1 so don't just take my word for it)

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC

@Ksalu

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
I feel like its quite manageable. The skill sets are quite transferable between the ext and adv levels so its feels like you are doing 5 subjects despite technically doing 7 subjects. Like Chiprr mentioned, you do get extra free periods since you are doing 12 units instead of 13 units but most people don't take advantage of this so please don't use extra periods as a factor in deciding on whether to do 2 extensions or not.

Rather than asking if doing both extensions is manageable, I think it is better to ask yourself whether or not you would enjoy doing both extensions. Subjects become unmanageable because students don't enjoy it and push it to the side.

Happy studying :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)