how to get better at english writing (1 Viewer)

oot123

HSC
N/A
so i have this issue of making my sentences over complicated which my teacher says makes the analysis lose meaning.

i have also been told many times that i have “awkward” phrasing and sometimes i really struggle finding analysis to quotes.

how do i fix this and overall just get better at english? i would rather not go to tutoring for it cause my texts are pretty uncommon and it’s hard to find good private tutors, but then again i don’t think my teacher is one of those who always marks and gives feedback on practice essays.

what are some methods to fix my issues and how do i get better at analysis? btw i do adv eng

carrotsss

HSC
not everyone will agree but tbh memorising essays helped me a lot with this because i could really refine my sentences and make them nice and concise so even with links to questions added on my phrasing would still be pretty good and dense

oot123

HSC
N/A
not everyone will agree but tbh memorising essays helped me a lot with this because i could really refine my sentences and make them nice and concise so even with links to questions added on my phrasing would still be pretty good and dense
but the thing is, i can’t memorise essays until i write an essay that’s actually good 💀

carrotsss

HSC
but the thing is, i can’t memorise essays until i write an essay that’s actually good 💀
for that I just wrote my essay, then went through every single sentence individually and rewrote it to be more concise - do this carefully like a complete rewrite and carefully consider each sentence and by the end you’ve got a much better essay

Sylfiphy

HSC
You’ve prob heard this a billion times but When doing ur analysis for an essay it’s a good thing to just collect all the quotes that are relevant in your text and do a quote technique and effect table so when you do start writing ur essay u basically just copy and paste ur analysis into ur work and the only thing u have to “write” is the topic and conclusion sentences. And that’s just for a body paragraph. Once you get the hang of that it will come to u naturally. Its kinda just practice to get better at English and writing in general like every other subject so if ur bothered and really determined to get better at English I would suggest you spend like 1 hour every week just reading and answering random essay questions (like write a body paragraph only not a whole essay) and with that practice you will naturally get better

And also here’s a little structure u can follow for now to help idk

1. Topic sentence - engage with the question and reflect on an idea that was offered (like what does the text tell us or what do authors try to do with this particular text) also note that u shouldn’t mention the text or author in this sentence and rather just talk about a general idea presented in the text
2. Textual outline - a brief explanation of what happened in the text or what is happening: here u should talk about context and the authors purpose
3. 4 analysis statements (ur quote technique effects)
4. Conclusion statement
5. Reader reflection - what do the audience take away from the text??

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
Write about things that you want to talk about, such as a daydream, or to solve a life problem you have.
When you watch a movie you enjoy, analyze why certain moments make you feel a certain way, and think about why the characters say and do the things they say and do.

Once you understand that everything has a reason to why they happen or don't happen, writing will become the process of you trying to find that reason, and eventually, it'll become second nature to you to analyze and communicate these discoveries you find in media, life, or other experiences.

Just make sure to not develop the habit of constantly chatting to yourself out loud or in your head. Being a walking, talking essay, can begin to turn life into nothing but analysis instead of a personal experince that should be simply observed.

HSC
“awkward” phrasing
making my sentences over complicated
If you're able to, you can approach fixing this by compiling exemplar essays and taking note of their sentence structure and while you do so, you'll be able to pick up the vocab which will make your sentences more concise and less complicated in a sense
Personally did something similar to this and it turned out great 👍

HSC
so i have this issue of making my sentences over complicated which my teacher says makes the analysis lose meaning.

i have also been told many times that i have “awkward” phrasing and sometimes i really struggle finding analysis to quotes.

how do i fix this and overall just get better at english? i would rather not go to tutoring for it cause my texts are pretty uncommon and it’s hard to find good private tutors, but then again i don’t think my teacher is one of those who always marks and gives feedback on practice essays.

what are some methods to fix my issues and how do i get better at analysis? btw i do adv eng
when i tutored i used to ask for a list of texts in advance and read them, it's probably not a big issue depending on your tutor. it's not that you can't improve at english without a tutor, it's just that your study is going to be directionless and intensive. its hard to give feedback on somebody's writing without seeing the writing, and it's resource intensive for people to properly review your writing. if you're struggling to find analysis for a quote, it could mean the quote is irrelevant, you don't understand the text, you don't have the requisite knowledge of techniques to pick them up, or you don't understand a technique well enough to properly apply it. there's too many variables involved. either ask your teacher for help, go find a tutor or prepared to do a lot of reading and reflecting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)