Is anyone familiar with the quality of education for humanitarian and development studies in Western Sydney University? (1 Viewer)

Ochara

HSC
Haven't found any recent forums regarding this bachelor, I am hoping for some reviews to maybe incite excitement or horror within me.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Since I did not study this specific degree, I am sadly unable to provide direct advice. However, I will try to provide some potentially relevant information which I hope you will find helpful in making an informed decision. My post will also bump your thread so that it can be seen by others and perhaps allow for more specific answers.

I currently work for a not-for-profit organisation. We have a number of universities and educational institutions as partners, one of which is WSU. Our partnerships entail engaging students studying particular degrees or other programs as volunteers, allowing them to complete relevant work experience required by their degree, while at the same time supporting the initiatives of the organisation.

In the case of WSU, most of our student volunteers are studying a Bachelor of Social Work (which may share some similarities with the Bachelor of Humanitarian and Development Studies). From what I have observed, most of them are clearly committed to their studies and their volunteering, which makes sense considering that the selection rank for WSU's Bachelor of Social Work is 85, indicating that students studying this degree can be of a relatively high caliber. On the other hand, the Bachelor of Humanitarian and Development Studies requires a selection rank of 60, indicating that students studying this degree can be of a lower caliber. Should this be the case, your experience may be negatively impacted, unless you are able to find and work alongside students who are academically capable and take their studies seriously, which you will likely need to do during your time at university (for example, through group assignments).

Of course, the academic capability of students is separate from the quality of education offered by a university. My review of WSU (which I think you may have already seen) includes my thoughts on its quality of education, albeit with a focus on the School of Business. I would also recommend attending open days, where you may be able to find and speak to students studying this degree who may be able to provide you with insight into the quality of education, as well as academics who can clarify all aspects of the degree.

I hope this helps! :D

Ochara

HSC
Thank you jimmy for your continued contributions! I believe my own academic ability will get me through the course regardless of others. I am unfortunately an international student so I cant go for the open days haha. Hopefully I might get some direct advice in this forum eventually, if not I will share my personal findings when the time comes ^-^

Since I did not study this specific degree, I am sadly unable to provide direct advice. However, I will try to provide some potentially relevant information which I hope you will find helpful in making an informed decision. My post will also bump your thread so that it can be seen by others and perhaps allow for more specific answers.

I currently work for a not-for-profit organisation. We have a number of universities and educational institutions as partners, one of which is WSU. Our partnerships entail engaging students studying particular degrees or other programs as volunteers, allowing them to complete relevant work experience required by their degree, while at the same time supporting the initiatives of the organisation.

In the case of WSU, most of our student volunteers are studying a Bachelor of Social Work (which may share some similarities with the Bachelor of Humanitarian and Development Studies). From what I have observed, most of them are clearly committed to their studies and their volunteering, which makes sense considering that the selection rank for WSU's Bachelor of Social Work is 85, indicating that students studying this degree can be of a relatively high caliber. On the other hand, the Bachelor of Humanitarian and Development Studies requires a selection rank of 60, indicating that students studying this degree can be of a lower caliber. Should this be the case, your experience may be negatively impacted, unless you are able to find and work alongside students who are academically capable and take their studies seriously, which you will likely need to do during your time at university (for example, through group assignments).

Of course, the academic capability of students is separate from the quality of education offered by a university. My review of WSU (which I think you may have already seen) includes my thoughts on its quality of education, albeit with a focus on the School of Business. I would also recommend attending open days, where you may be able to find and speak to students studying this degree who may be able to provide you with insight into the quality of education, as well as academics who can clarify all aspects of the degree.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)