Non HSC Maths Marathon (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Li0n said:
Four distinct points including 0;, 0, z1, z2, z3 lie on a circle. Show that the points 1/z1, 1/z2, 1/z3 are collinear, i.e lie on a straight line.

Taken from 2520 maths book
This shouldn't be allowed, it's a 4-unit question. [Saw it in a '98 past paper, I can't find it right now though...]

Affinity

HSC
KeypadSDM said:
This shouldn't be allowed, it's a 4-unit question. [Saw it in a '98 past paper, I can't find it right now though...]
So picky... Prove that a topology strictly stronger than a compact hausdorff topology on a given space is not compact, and a strictly weaker topology is not hausdorff.

HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
Prove that there is an explicit way to disect a cube into n cubes (perhaps of different sizes) for say... n>100
7 cubes can be added to the total number by dividing any existing cube into 8. Just prove it's possible for all remainders modulo 7 for a value equal to the lowest number of that remainder above/equal to 100.

You start off with 1 cube, and can add 7, 26, 63, 124 etc. You can also 'remove' 7, 26, etc cubes by refraining from cutting them when you're creating a larger number.

Congruent to (mod 7):

0: 105 = 63+ 6*7
1: 106 = 3*26 + 4*7
2: 100 = 27 + 2*26 + 3*7
3: 101 = 64 + 63 - 26
4: 102 = 27 + 26 + 7*7
5: 103 = 64 + 63 - 26 - 26 + 4*7
6: 104 = 64 + 26 + 2*7

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
This ones actually easy, i just find it kind of cute:

Prove that, at most, only one of e*pi and e+pi can be rational.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
acmilan said:
This ones actually easy, i just find it kind of cute:

Prove that, at most, only one of e*pi and e+pi can be rational.
Assume they're both rational:

Note: e - pi = (e+pi)-2pi, hence trancendental (as pi is trancendental)
(e + pi)^2 - 4*e*pi = rational = (e - pi)^2
But as e - pi is trancendental, it's not the root of a rational polynomial
Hence (e - pi)^2 is also trancendental, and hence irrational.
Thus at least one of e + pi and e*pi is irrational.

Is there an easier way which just uses e&pi being irrational rather than trancendental?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
KeypadSDM said:
Is there an easier way which just uses e&pi being irrational rather than trancendental?
Not as far as i know. The way i wouldve done it is consider f(x) = (x-e)(x-pi) = x2 - (e+pi)x + e*pi and use the fact that e and pi are transcendental

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Ahh, very nice. Solutions to algebraic polynomials are themselves algebraic. Hence, since the roots are trancendental, the polynomial cannot be algebraic.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
LottoX said:
Prove epi is irrational.
I don't believe there's a simple way, so I'll just go ahead and do it the hard way.

Prove Gelfond's theorem over the complex domain.

Hence (-1)<sup>-i</sup> = e<sup>pi</sup> is irrational.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It makes the most sense to do it this way, though. As the proof for a<sup>b</sup> being trancendental, except when it trivially isn't, is so well known, I feel it's a valid solution.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Alright, I can't be arsed making a cool question up, so I'll just do a boring one.

Prove that given any 3 dimensional body, with arbitrary mass distribution, there is a set of coordinate axes which when defined around the centre of mass of the 3-d body such that one of the axes points in the direction of least moment of inertia, and one of the axes points in the direction of highest moment of inertia.

The x,y,z axes you use must be orthogonal.

I'm not sure if this is correct but maybe:
Start with a generalised tensor for the moments of inertia about an arbitrary set of axes:
[Ixx,Ixy,Ixz]
[Iyx,Iyy,Iyz]
[Izx,Izy,Izz]
And diagonalise

The hint might be completely talking out of my ass. I don't actually know.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Err, well firstly i didn't do 4unit. And like i said i pulled it out of my complex analysis question booklet. Peter Brown (who sets questions for 2520/2620)writes 4-unit questions too afaik.

Affinity

HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Alright, I can't be arsed making a cool question up, so I'll just do a boring one.

Prove that given any 3 dimensional body, with arbitrary mass distribution, there is a set of coordinate axes which when defined around the centre of mass of the 3-d body such that one of the axes points in the direction of least moment of inertia, and one of the axes points in the direction of highest moment of inertia.

The x,y,z axes you use must be orthogonal.

I'm not sure if this is correct but maybe:
Start with a generalised tensor for the moments of inertia about an arbitrary set of axes:
[Ixx,Ixy,Ixz]
[Iyx,Iyy,Iyz]
[Izx,Izy,Izz]
And diagonalise

The hint might be completely talking out of my ass. I don't actually know.
works.. Statisticians use the same in principal component regression.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)