Questions regarding selective and school enrolment (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi,

Just had some quick questions regarding school enrolment. I currently attend a pretty bad school, 4 of our teachers are missing, no BYOD, facilities are horrible, students are pretty bad too, no recreational sport, substitutes multiple times a day, no science pracs etc. etc.

As you can see, not the greatest of schools for education, and I honestly can't see myself staying here for another year. Which is why I'm planning to move schools mid-year preferably from Term 2 onwards. I live in Greater Western Sydney near Blacktown and was wondering if you may know any good schools near me.

I'm thinking of applying to Patrician Brothers Blacktown as on shown on their website it seems like a pretty good school, and I'm also Catholic which is another pro. They actually seem like they have good facilities, teachers, opportunities etc. Only thing I'm sceptical about are the students there however a friend of mine told me that they actually listen and pay attention in class. Was planning to go on a tour of their school but I missed out as the last tour of this term happened yesterday. If any of you guys went to Patrician, let me know how it was

I'm also not sure if this is possible, but I might email some private or even selective schools if I'm able to join their school from Term 2 onwards by saying I missed out on the chance last year and some other compassionate reasons so they can sympathise with me so I could potentially get the chance. If you also know any cheapish private schools (below 7k annually) I'd also really appreciate that. I've already applied for Parramatta Marist but they said that the waitlist is so long that there's practically no point of applying. Also, yes I know selective applications open around June but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take yfm.

I could also do an out-of-area enrolment for a good public school, but at the end of the day its still public so I don't assume it'll be that big of a step up from my current school.

In conclusion, if you would potentially know about any good schools near me, please let me know so I can actually get a good education. Thank you.

Armon

HSC
selective schools won't take you in in term 2 of a school year. I would try and get on top of it now though if you want to go selective as it's not possible past year 11 entry. Catholic schools don't tend to do that much better academically compared to public schools; I went to a rank 550+ public school and beat the duxes of all of the catholic schools in my area πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ. The difference between public schools can be huge; some public schools are great performers such as Killara High, which outranks several selective schools. I would advise you that the school you go to is really not that deep, high performers will do well irrespective of school. The teachers at James Ruse and other top schools aren't somehow so much better than those at public schools, it's just that all the students have strong competition, go to tutoring centres, and study like crazy. If you're overly reliant on your school/teacher you are unlikely to perform particularly well in the HSC. Also, if your school is as bad as you think, that can be a blessing as it will mean class sizes for difficult subjects like extension maths, chemistry and physics will be smaller.

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Hi,

Just had some quick questions regarding school enrolment. I currently attend a pretty bad school, 4 of our teachers are missing, no BYOD, facilities are horrible, students are pretty bad too, no recreational sport, substitutes multiple times a day, no science pracs etc. etc.

As you can see, not the greatest of schools for education, and I honestly can't see myself staying here for another year. Which is why I'm planning to move schools mid-year preferably from Term 2 onwards. I live in Greater Western Sydney near Blacktown and was wondering if you may know any good schools near me.

I'm thinking of applying to Patrician Brothers Blacktown as on shown on their website it seems like a pretty good school, and I'm also Catholic which is another pro. They actually seem like they have good facilities, teachers, opportunities etc. Only thing I'm sceptical about are the students there however a friend of mine told me that they actually listen and pay attention in class. Was planning to go on a tour of their school but I missed out as the last tour of this term happened yesterday. If any of you guys went to Patrician, let me know how it was

I'm also not sure if this is possible, but I might email some private or even selective schools if I'm able to join their school from Term 2 onwards by saying I missed out on the chance last year and some other compassionate reasons so they can sympathise with me so I could potentially get the chance. If you also know any cheapish private schools (below 7k annually) I'd also really appreciate that. I've already applied for Parramatta Marist but they said that the waitlist is so long that there's practically no point of applying. Also, yes I know selective applications open around June but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take yfm.

I could also do an out-of-area enrolment for a good public school, but at the end of the day its still public so I don't assume it'll be that big of a step up from my current school.

In conclusion, if you would potentially know about any good schools near me, please let me know so I can actually get a good education. Thank you.
private schools are always an option too!! especially if you're looking for gps sports and other extracurricular activities! (to the point where it gets annoying might i add)

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
From the looks of it, your best bet if you go the private route is kings. But they are rn filled to capacity. You still have gram, cran, scots, aloysius, ignatius (if ur rlly sporty), newington (if u like bball) and shore (if ur a lsr and want rlly biased bball refs- who rig the game so then shore goes out on top smh- dont rec for personal rsns that shall not be named :()

Armon

HSC
From the looks of it, your best bet if you go the private route is kings. But they are rn filled to capacity. You still have gram, cran, scots, aloysius, ignatius (if ur rlly sporty), newington (if u like bball) and shore (if ur a lsr who have rlly biased bball refs)
didn't you notice him saying less than 7k annually 🀣

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Hi,

r u good at music or anythign? u can get decent scholarships fromt aht and iirc they don't have to be on one day as opposed to academic scholarships

HSC
r u good at music or anythign? u can get decent scholarships fromt aht and iirc they don't have to be on one day as opposed to academic scholarships
Started piano about 3 months but I'm no prodigy. Only things I'm good at are sports, I do swimming, mma and rugby

HSC
selective schools won't take you in in term 2 of a school year. I would try and get on top of it now though if you want to go selective as it's not possible past year 11 entry. Catholic schools don't tend to do that much better academically compared to public schools; I went to a rank 550+ public school and beat the duxes of all of the catholic schools in my area πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ. The difference between public schools can be huge; some public schools are great performers such as Killara High, which outranks several selective schools. I would advise you that the school you go to is really not that deep, high performers will do well irrespective of school. The teachers at James Ruse and other top schools aren't somehow so much better than those at public schools, it's just that all the students have strong competition, go to tutoring centres, and study like crazy. If you're overly reliant on your school/teacher you are unlikely to perform particularly well in the HSC. Also, if your school is as bad as you think, that can be a blessing as it will mean class sizes for difficult subjects like extension maths, chemistry and physics will be smaller.
Thank you for your reply. I understand that good students will do good no matter where they are, but it's harder to do well when you're provided with very limited facilities, shortage of teachers, a bad school environment etc. I genuinely don't want to stay at my current school for the rest of this year. Also, Killara is 2hr away by public transport

HSC
I wish I applied for Sydney Boys, two of my classmates got in and they weren't much smarter than me. I like it because of how many opportunities they provide, both inside and outside of school. My friend told me that if you do swimming, for example, they allow you to swim for them and provide you with a proper coach and pool. He also told me that if you have classes after school you'll usually be home around 8-9pm

Only reason I didn't was because of the travel time (1hr 15m one way) but now I'm starting to think that the travel time doesn't matter if it means you'll be attending such a great school. I even emailed the SBHS principal with my list of achievements/awards and asked if I would've made it in and he said
"Probably"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)